6 hours with no meals...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Board Supporter
    Answers

6 hours with no meals...

Hey guys,
    I just started serving at a restraunt called the Island Time Grill and I was wondering what I could do to minimize the muscle loss during each shift. The shifts are usually 4-7 hours long and there are no breaks for food. The past two days I have brought a premade shake consisting of...
    Whey Protein- 45g
    Xtend - 3 servings (30g protein)
    Glutamine - 5g

I also have A big meal before work filled with carbs/protein/fat. And when I get home I have A protein/fat meal before bed. So I was just wondering if my current setup should work fine or should I change some things around?

2. I know nothing...
    Answers

6 hours with no food isn't that bad, but if it makes you fell better a shake in between is just fine
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah a shake is fine. Maybe toss in some fish oil to make it better and add some good fat.
    •   

4. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Throw some oats in that shake so you will have a slow burning energy source. The protein (especially whey) isn't going to last long. Some good fats would also be a good idea as jarhead pointed out but fish oil is a little hardcore in anything but capsules for me. Olive oil is much milder (n6 I know but still good for you and needed) and n3's I have been using Sesalean. It has a nice mild flavor.

Edit: I would save your money and drop the Glutamine. Also, have you seen what CNW sells their BCAA's for? 500 grams for 20 bones. Save yourself some duckets there as well in the stead of the Xtend.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  5. Board Supporter
    Answers

Unfortunately, I do this two days out of the week. I have a shake within this time but that is about it. I've noticed that while on Clen, I have absolutely no problems with doing this.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Make a protein blend with both whey and casein w/ 1/2C of oats and a tablespoon of flax. You can throw in extra BCAAs to help keep glycogen high as well if you like.
  7. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

How would BCAA's keep glycogen high? Thats what the carbs are for. The BCAA's can be converted to glucose via gluconeogensis but only if carb depleted during excersize.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  8. Gate Keeper
    Answers

I vote for adding oats and some flax to that shake. And just take a chug of the shake every 35mins or so.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    How would BCAA's keep glycogen high? Thats what the carbs are for. The BCAA's can be converted to glucose via gluconeogensis but only if carb depleted during excersize.
    If he is a server at a resteraunt, then I imagine his shift is around 5 hours of power walking.
  10. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

So why waste money on BCAA's to do something carbs are more efficient and less costly at doing?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Isn't there a law about taking a break after so many hours?... Like every 4 hours.... Not sure about restraunts but I know I've read it before. Anyway, 6 hours isn't that bad.... But if your trying to bulk, thats a different story. IMHO
  12. Board Supporter
    Answers

Oh yea....I do take Leucine and Fish Oil in that period of time. *shrug* The leucine is more subjective but I do get in a few grams of fish.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

You are supposed to get (1) 15 minute break after 3 hours of work and (1) 15 minute break and (1) 30 minute break after 5 or 6 hours of work (I can't remember which), and for an 8 hour shift you get (2) 15 minute breaks and (1) 30 minute break.

I used to work at Black Angus and we never got a break, they just made sure you were off the clock before 6 hours of work. The 15 minute break that I was supposed to recieve is on the clock (I never once got a break-I worked there almost 2 years) so they could get away with it, but if I worked over 6 I would have to clock out for my break, so they just made sure I was gone before 6 hours came around. Pretty shady if you ask me.
  14. Registered User
    Answers

I would never go w/out food for even close to 6hrs, of course, unless it was an emergency. Pack smoe almonds or peanuts in a zipblock and stash them in your pocket. If you dont have time for a shake, carry a protein bar. Try to be prepared as much as you can. You dont want to sacrifice muscle and add fat to your frame now would ya?!
  15. Gold Member
    Answers

I've worked part-time in restaurants for years. I always had some cottage cheese /yogurt/almonds in the bus station, and I would eat a couple of bites whenever I got the chance. Definitely worked. Other times I just do shakes. Definitely do something.
  16. Board Supporter
    Answers

are there any supps that would work well for this?? maybe taking something like lean extreme before shifts?
  17. Gold Member
    Answers

6 hours is a long ass time... Damn, if i dont eat every 2 hours i feel cranky and like im shrinking lol. Maybe you should invest in getting a good, low cost mrp, like champion nutrition's ultramet. This summer, when i was working i didn't get much breaks, so i'd make 2 of those at work with milk, and it was a good amount of calories. Taking that, and flax oil should help alot. Plus ultramet is delicious stuff, it kind of tastes like brownie batter.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dunimous
    are there any supps that would work well for this?? maybe taking something like lean extreme before shifts?
    Exactly. I go 5-8 hrs, sometimes everyday like this. It's OK if your on anabolics (and not bulking) but don't do it on T3. Also, if you're not on an anabolic, you must use a cortisol antagonist like LX or DHEA. Otherwise, you really mess with your metabolism. I try not to do it, but it happens all the time. I carry pre-measured 50g protein powder packs w/ ALCAR added too like the other guys. Just add water and slam one every 4hrs if it looks like I don't have time to eat that day. I use to add some fructose too, but stopped and I like that better.
  19. Board Supporter
    Answers

should I just take 1 cap of lean extreme before work? or how much dhea?
  20. Handsome and intelligent
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PVSkyHigh
    You are supposed to get (1) 15 minute break after 3 hours of work and (1) 15 minute break and (1) 30 minute break after 5 or 6 hours of work (I can't remember which), and for an 8 hour shift you get (2) 15 minute breaks and (1) 30 minute break.
    I thought it was 10 minutes every 4hrs plus a 30 minute dinner break every 8 hours. Maybe those are UK rules, but either way, this dude is legally entitled to enough time to eat food during his shift.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  21. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Answers

Unfortuntely, I have to go through the same thing now. I work 8 to 9 hours wihtout a break(we have a schedule we have to keep) and it's VERY hard to get in food. It is also bad because it is a night shift that runs into the next day. What should I do about eating properly? I thought about taking a shake mixed with oats, ubt i don't think that will cut it. Thought about taking a meal with me, but I don't think that will work out to well. Should I invest in some protein bars?
  22. Registered User
    Answers

I would say to def just bring an empty water bottle filled with a protein powder composed mainly of caseinate..i used to have to do the samet hing at work and I would often bring MHP Up your Mass...pretty good product..if you cant do this just bring a few protein bars and down them in the bathroom quick..
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Overall, the nutritional content available in powders are far superior to that available in bars. I also like the MHP Up Your Mass drink for it's nutritional profile--low GI carbs, healthy fats and a good amount of protein.
    Also, there is no way that it's OK, IMO, to go 6hrs without eating regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting. Your body will go into a catabolic state if you go much more than 3hrs without food and that's no good if you're bulking. Additionally, your body will interpret this as a starvation and be more inclined to store energy from the next meal as fat so as to preserve itself.
    Eat or drink something--it really doesn't take have to take long and it makes a big difference in terms of not wasting your time in the gym.
  24. Banned
    Answers

its all about commitment and dedication when the champ is ronnie coleman and he does 8 hrs and can be mr o all is possible take 4 shakes premade that is it.
  25. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BBAddict
    Also, there is no way that it's OK, IMO, to go 6hrs without eating regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting. Your body will go into a catabolic state if you go much more than 3hrs without food and that's no good if you're bulking.
    Do you do realize how exaggerated a statement that is. If you are bulking and have a daily caloric surplus you are not going to become catabolic if I don't eat in six hours. If you are dieting and have a daily caloric deficit you will have no more potential of being catabolic if you don't eat in 6 hours. Your caloric defecit or surplus has not change. You could likely run into bloodsugar level issues and training within those six hours is not a good idea. Not eating for six hours is not ideal, but the consequences are being greatly exaggerated. Unless you are performing some endurance training or extensive heavy work you are going to be nothing more than a very hungry person. JMO.
  26. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 1ad man
    its all about commitment and dedication when the champ is ronnie coleman and he does 8 hrs and can be mr o all is possible take 4 shakes premade that is it.

are you talking about?
  27. Handsome and intelligent
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles13
    Unfortuntely, I have to go through the same thing now. I work 8 to 9 hours wihtout a break(we have a schedule we have to keep) and it's VERY hard to get in food. It is also bad because it is a night shift that runs into the next day.
    I am almost certain that these working conditions are illegal.
    The Driven Blog

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  28. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I worked in food service for ~10 years, my managers were always really cool about letting me keep a shake in the cooler to sip on mid-shift. When I became a manager, I encouraged all my gym-going employees to keep food hidden from our crazy GM so they wouldnt go catabolic during the dinner rush

If you get in good with the cooks they can throw a piece of grilled chicken your way every once and a while - a couple of the guys in the back of the house usually hit the gym and will identify with your plight

I'd get some Egg Protien (CNW and Nutraplanet have it), Casien, Whey, Powdered Oats and Flax, EVO, or Natty PB and mix that all up into one super meal replacer. You'll be all set!

BV
  29. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

Unfortuntely, I have to go through the same thing now. I work 8 to 9 hours wihtout a break(we have a schedule we have to keep) and it's VERY hard to get in food. It is also bad because it is a night shift that runs into the next day.

A restaurant is a completely different world from your typical office environment. It would be impossible to take a break according to those rules, and work as a server in a busy restaurant.

A server typically makes ~$3.30 an hour before tips, so if you're sitting on your ass in the back room that's money you could be missing out on if you were taking a table. Eating on the run is really the only option you've got.

BV
  30. Registered User
    Answers

Cuffs= =1adman
  31. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Robboe

They say we can take a break, but they would like for us not too. Boss has been riding us about watching our hours. Pretty hard to throw 5000 cases of pepsi in 8 to 9 hours. Naw I am not whinning, but trying to get the job done without going overtime is hard enough without a break... lol.
  32. Handsome and intelligent
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Just tell them hungry workers never work as efficiently as happy workers.

Then rough him up a lil'.
    The Driven Blog

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  33. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Robboe
    Just tell them hungry workers never work as efficiently as happy workers.

Then rough him up a lil'.

Will do brotha.
  34. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

what in the??????
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Answers

4 premade shakes and I can be mr. o? Charles Atlas just lost my business!
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Why not just plan ahead and pack some calorie-dense foods in tupperware?
  37. Registered User
    Answers

I like to stay fed every 3 hours, but it's more or less because I get hungry then I want to eat too much or the wrong foods. If you are worried about staying anabolic, get something like Humapro by ALR Industries. It's an amazing product. I used the tablet form when I go hiking in the mountains. 10 tabs causes the same anabolic response as about 45 grams of protein from whey or meat so I'd drop about 10 tabs and have something like an apple or whole grain crackers, I wasn't prepping so I was mostly concerned with keeping a positive nitrogen balance while in the mountains.
  38. Registered User
    Answers

Also, I teach elementary PE and I do't get a break for 3 hours at a time, so if it gets to 3 hours between meals I make sure I have the powder pre mixed and drink 2 sv during one of my classes.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  232 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    If he is a server at a resteraunt, then I imagine his shift is around 5 hours of power walking.

I too am a server and I have the same problem as dunimous... As far as the power walking goes, if im trying to bulk up, and im power walking 4-6 during a shift, would you recommend to up my carb intake for my meal before work? I too eat a big meal before waiting.
    Thanks!
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  143 lbs.
    Answers

I would quit, but that's just me :P. I'd probably try to drink BCAAs during work and eat before work a big meal. Also, after work, I'd eat a huge meal.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. CEE with NO-Explode
    By DobermanXXL in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-22-2005, 08:39 PM
  2. Infection with no pain?
    By adrenalinaddict in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 04:15 PM
  3. Poll on how many people did M1T with no problems
    By Jason161 in forum Anabolics