pre workout meal - AnabolicMinds.com

pre workout meal

  1. Registered User
    Farmboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    127

    Reputation

    pre workout meal


    I pulled this from a nutrition course text I'm studying.

    "The pre-exercise meal is ideally high in carbohydrates, low in protein and fat, and eaten about 3 hours prior to exercise. This is important because it takes this long for the stomach to empty and glucose to enter the bloodstream. If too much protein and fat are present in the pre-exercise meal, this will lengthen the time it takes the stomach to empty."

    Shoot, I've been eating about 80g low GI carbs with 55g protein(I eat this amount 4 times a day because It easily fits into my schedule) about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before workouts. On top of that I'll have a protein shake about 15 min before exercise and one after. Now I've known about how proteins and fats will slow down digestion from the reading I've done right here. I just never realized it took so long for breakdown. My thinking was I would eat an hour before and have enough glycogen stored to fuel me and feed the muscle until I was through.

  2. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27395

    Reputation

    If your getting proper nutrition throughout the day you will already have a decent glycogen store IMO. Exception being if you do a lot of cardio you may be depleted at times. Other than that, the only time you should be depleted is after resistance training, not before. I would venture to guess that your pre workout nutrition is more than enough, protein or not.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  3. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,991
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    A lot of nurition books I have read seem to have a different opinion than what we consider to be optimal. I agree that as long as the body is fed with a steady stream of fuel, then optimal results will follow. I personally use 2 scoops of Metrx powder with 1/2 C of oats about an hour pre-workout.
    •   
       

  4. Board Supporter
    cable626's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    711
    Rep Power
    12837

    Reputation

    eaten 3 hours before exercise?
    after 3 hours of not eating its time to eat again, not workout!
  5. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27395

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    A lot of nurition books I have read seem to have a different opinion than what we consider to be optimal. I agree that as long as the body is fed with a steady stream of fuel, then optimal results will follow. I personally use 2 scoops of Metrx powder with 1/2 C of oats about an hour pre-workout.
    Just a quick off topic comment Rodja: check the ingredients in the MetRx. The one I used to use has hydrogenated oils added. That is why it is so thick, which is why I liked it, the oats would stay suspended instead of sinking to the bottom. You may not care but with as much work as we put in to being healthy they go and put that poison in a protein drink. Things that make ya go hmmmm. FWIW
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  6. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3914

    Reputation

    There are too many variables involved to make a blanket statement re: pre-workout nutrition. Type of exercise, length of exercise, and form of meal to name a few.

    If you are concerned about depleting glycogen stores via resistance training I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you do marathon full body workouts.

    Like stated by Bp above, if you are well nourished throughout the day you should not have any concern.

    If you are involved in endurance sports we are talking about a completely different animal.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  7. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,991
    Rep Power
    917959

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Just a quick off topic comment Rodja: check the ingredients in the MetRx. The one I used to use has hydrogenated oils added. That is why it is so thick, which is why I liked it, the oats would stay suspended instead of sinking to the bottom. You may not care but with as much work as we put in to being healthy they go and put that poison in a protein drink. Things that make ya go hmmmm. FWIW
    Yeah I saw that but I think the amount of total fat in 3 scoops is 2.5g so at the most I am taking in 1g when I workout. I do not use it on off days. I have also wondered why companies do things like that to their consumers.
  8. Registered User
    Farmboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    127

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    If your getting proper nutrition throughout the day you will already have a decent glycogen store IMO. Exception being if you do a lot of cardio you may be depleted at times. Other than that, the only time you should be depleted is after resistance training, not before. I would venture to guess that your pre workout nutrition is more than enough, protein or not.
    That statement was just different than what I have seen practiced and learned from the board. I think I'm good to go. However, if I'm tested on it, That will be the answer I'll have to give.
  9. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Just a quick off topic comment Rodja: check the ingredients in the MetRx. The one I used to use has hydrogenated oils added. That is why it is so thick, which is why I liked it, the oats would stay suspended instead of sinking to the bottom. You may not care but with as much work as we put in to being healthy they go and put that poison in a protein drink. Things that make ya go hmmmm. FWIW
    Sorry to rip off your thread Rodja, but damn BP you should screw all the Chuck Norris pics and keep ones of you up..Nice build
  10. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27395

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    Sorry to rip off your thread Rodja, but damn BP you should screw all the Chuck Norris pics and keep ones of you up..Nice build
    I only wish I looked like that all the time.

    That is a master martial artist lighting trick tought to me by the great Chuck Norris himself. I am actually a scrawney little puke. I will be posting some more realistic pics in my USP stack log shortly.


    And as for your comment that I should "screw all the Chuck Norris pics", I only masterbate to them.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  11. Professional Member
    Grunt76's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,131
    Rep Power
    1783

    Reputation

    I'm with the "you're not carb-depleted BEFORE the workout" crowd.

    But you do need protein in every meal. On top of that, I find that if you have protein-containing food 60-90 minutes preworkout, the amino acids from your preworkout meal will be entering your bloodstream right round the end of your workout if you time things right and use the right kinds of foods.

    This is not super-accurate, but having amino acids being released into the bloodstream in the later stages of the workout cannot be a bad thing. The postworkout shake then serves as the double-whammy of anabolic drive.
  12. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    9661

    Reputation

    I don't think it takes a protien shake 3 hours (or whatver the text speculates) to digest.
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27063

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    .
    And as for your comment that I should "screw all the Chuck Norris pics", I only masterbate to them.
    Ewwwwww...And ewwwww
  14. New Member
    Synthetik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    154

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by cable626
    eaten 3 hours before exercise?
    after 3 hours of not eating its time to eat again, not workout!
    VERY TRUE!! And I'm with the rest that stated about your body being optimal to preworkout due to proper nutrition throughout the day.
  15. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    801

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy
    I pulled this from a nutrition course text I'm studying.

    "The pre-exercise meal is ideally high in carbohydrates, low in protein and fat, and eaten about 3 hours prior to exercise. This is important because it takes this long for the stomach to empty and glucose to enter the bloodstream. If too much protein and fat are present in the pre-exercise meal, this will lengthen the time it takes the stomach to empty."
    If that is the case how come I can cure an episode of hypoglycemia in 15 mins or so by eating a low to moderate GI and protein meal?
  16. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    801

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    There are too many variables involved to make a blanket statement re: pre-workout nutrition. Type of exercise, length of exercise, and form of meal to name a few.

    If you are concerned about depleting glycogen stores via resistance training I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you do marathon full body workouts.

    Like stated by Bp above, if you are well nourished throughout the day you should not have any concern.

    If you are involved in endurance sports we are talking about a completely different animal.
  17. Registered User
    Farmboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    43
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    127

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    If that is the case how come I can cure an episode of hypoglycemia in 15 mins or so by eating a low to moderate GI and protein meal?
    Probably cause your insulin sensitive at that point. In fact its recommended that you eat complex carbs in a hypogycemic state so that you don't get such a high spike. Protein/fat is even a better
  18. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3914

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy
    Probably cause your insulin sensitive at that point. In fact its recommended that you eat complex carbs in a hypogycemic state so that you don't get such a high spike. Protein/fat is even a better
    Actually glucose is rec'd for hypoglycemia. 15 grams, wait 15 minutes & recheck; still low another 15 grams and another 15 minutes and recheck. Remember, the person is hypoglycemic you want to raise the BG. Excessive amounts are not needed.

    Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate, gives a fairly high spike. Most food based carbohydrates are complex carbs. Might want to rethink your theory

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farmboy
    I pulled this from a nutrition course text I'm studying.

    "The pre-exercise meal is ideally high in carbohydrates, low in protein and fat, and eaten about 3 hours prior to exercise. This is important because it takes this long for the stomach to empty and glucose to enter the bloodstream. If too much protein and fat are present in the pre-exercise meal, this will lengthen the time it takes the stomach to empty."



    If that is the case how come I can cure an episode of hypoglycemia in 15 mins or so by eating a low to moderate GI and protein meal?
    Because the above statement is false.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  19. New Member
    Hbs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    346

    Reputation

    I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone could answer this. I train first thing in the morning. Can one train on an empty stomach and do light cardio for 20-30 min and not worry about neg effects? What would one recommend for a light, preworkout meal. I dont want to have to get up earlier than 7 and I like to get to the gym ASAP after that cuz i got class @ 10 and then work the rest of the day. I hope Jonny could give me his opinion...hes a smart dude
  20. Board Supporter
    RipdnTxs2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    48
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    403

    Reputation

    I know this is a pain, but u MUST eat before u train in the morning, u have went 6-9 hours without feeding your body, training when running on empty like this will not build muscle, it will eat it up, at the very least get up at 6 am and eat a bannana and drink a protein shake and go back to bed, or scramble 4 eggs the night before and eat with wheat bread or oatmeal then go back to bed for an hour, this kinda sucks but it is very neccessary...
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Your pre workout meal
    By Chub in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 01:50 PM
  2. pre-workout meal?
    By BoyFromAus in forum Bulking
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 10:56 PM
  3. Pre-workout meal timing
    By Bildo_21 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM
  4. Pre-Workout meal?
    By NPursuit in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in