Macros???

Blythy

Blythy

Awards
Hello all
May I ask for a lean look figure what macros are you currently on? Please share and say how you felt

Ie I'm currently on 1800 per day getting lean is going fine but my weight lifting is slightly going as I'm not eating as much as when I'm bulking

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
I am on 2500 calories on workout days
2200 calories on non-workout days.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hello all
May I ask for a lean look figure what macros are you currently on? Please share and say how you felt

Ie I'm currently on 1800 per day getting lean is going fine but my weight lifting is slightly going as I'm not eating as much as when I'm bulking
If you are losing strength, then you are either training too much, eating too little protein, or both.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Hello all

How much weight are you losing per week? 1800 may be too low, and this might be causing your strength loss.

I typically lose a little strength when dieting/cutting, but nothing significant unless it is a diet for 3+ months.

Currently, my intake is 2000 calories per day, and 1700-1800 on my rest day (Sunday). Macros are right at 40p/40c/20f

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Bulking. 3500 calories. 4000 on rest days (you’re healing, need more food not less) macros roughly 50/25/25. Diet consists mainly of meats, eggs, dairy, and fiber.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Have to lose 4-5 more lbs before ending my cut and im at 1900 lbs while my maintenance is at 2700. I’m on a couple sarms and such tho so I can’t rely on the lost of strength and everything but imo your macros % probably have proteins too low! Also make sure your workouts aren’t as long as they are when above maintenance or at maintenance, just go intense.

E

exrugger

Awards
This will depend on your body type/base metabolism and lbm. For someone that tends to be carb sensitive or an endo/meso type that is cutting and trying to maintain muscle:

20-25% carbs
55% protein
20-25% fat

More carb tolerant can go for something more like
30% carb
40-45% protein
25-30% fat

No bread, sugars, pasta etc just whole food and protein supplements.

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im one of those keto people.

Currently at roughly 2300 calories a day.
35-40% protein, remainder fat except for sparse carbs, usually about 30g a day.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Maintenance at 2900, going for 3750-3800 daily atm

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are losing strength, then you are either training too much, eating too little protein, or both.
This may not be 100% true. And you lose weight (no matter if it’s fat, water or muscle) you will lose strentgh. Just a part of the game. But as you said it could be an indicator of too much volume. Might be netter suited cutting down volume and hitting higher poundages for less sets. More intensity, less volume

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like to keep my protein high and fill the rest in from there. I keep protein at 1.25 to 1.5 grams per lb of body weight. I always got the best results from this. I’ve read the studies about it being too much, but I find digesting protein is more thermogenic and I hold my muscle much better, gluconesogenesis or not lol. After I hit those protein numbers I fill the rest in with fats and carbs. As I cut down over time I will drop the carbs first. Leaving peri workout carbs as long as possible. Then I will drop the fats. Decreases of 300-500 cals at most, and not rushing to keep decreasing until I get the most out of that decrease. I pretty much keep the protein the same all the way until the end of my cut, sometimes almost winding up a psmf type scenario. I’ve heard a lot of opinions in the past but this just works for me.

E

exrugger

Awards
This is the first cut where strength has increased- I'm in week 14 and down about 15lbs of what I believe is 100% fat (I can tell via caliper method my lbm is 177 and my current weight is 200, target 193ish). I do not believe that strength and muscle loss are a necessary evil when cutting. I noticed if I'm taking in 50%+ of all calories from protein and utilize good quality proteins (whole foods, WPI pre and post w/o, and casein early morning and night) and consume fish oils and other healthy fats. I will say you dont wajt to lose more than 1.5lbs per week and I am losing it at a little slower rate, that is why it works. If you do a harsh cut dropping 2+lbs you will probably lose some strenth/muscle

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This may not be 100% true. And you lose weight (no matter if it’s fat, water or muscle) you will lose strentgh. Just a part of the game. But as you said it could be an indicator of too much volume. Might be netter suited cutting down volume and hitting higher poundages for less sets. More intensity, less volume
OK, yeah, you got me. Knee jerk reaction to everyone worrying about losing muscle on a cut. Losing some strength on a cut is not even necessarily an indicator of muscle loss - it could be just simple glycogen depletion. On an intense diet I will drop a good amount of strength right off the bat over the first couple weeks and then it stabilizes and starts to build from there. It is just my body losing the glycogen and having a harder time doing intense work.

On a less ontense diet, this depletion can be less intense up front and come in spurts . IME, once you carb up the strength comes back pretty quick. This leads me to believe it is not an actual loss of muscle tissue.