AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am in need of a deload. I follow a 5/3/1 PPL hybrid, he is how my deload is going to look:

On hypertrophy days, reduce reps per set, on hypertrophy days. So if a movement is 3x12 at 225 lbs, I will do 3x6 at 225 lbs.

On my heavy days, I will deload the main lifts like Wendler suggests. The heavy accessory work, which is in a rep range of 6-8 reps, I will reduce the weight by 10-20% but still do 6-8 reps while also reducing overall volume by number of sets.

Question is nutrition. On my heavy days, which is two days per week, I have a high carb/high calorie day, two other days, it is a moderate carb/moderate cal day (250 cals less than the high day), and the low carb/low cal day is three days per week (500 cals less than the high cal day).

Should I just go with all low carb/low cal? Have four moderate carb/cal and three low carb/cal, or keep things as is?

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been deloading this week as well. Diet has been exactly the same and I believe that's the best route. Also my deload is much less weight AND volume than normal. I'm using it mostly to recover, so I want to get the calories in to ensure that's what I'm doing.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep agree with above......your aiming to allow the body to recover so reducing calories would be counter productive to that.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the info above, but to be honest I have a hard time following it myself when I deload. Even though it's good to keep nutrition the same, I struggle to eat the same quantity that I do when training hard. I would aim to eat close to what you were eating on 5/3/1, but being a little under your calorie intake for that week won't hurt either.

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
I've been deloading this week as well. Diet has been exactly the same and I believe that's the best route. Also my deload is much less weight AND volume than normal. I'm using it mostly to recover, so I want to get the calories in to ensure that's what I'm doing.
why else would you do it....?