Going Keto is making a deal with the devil. Yes or no?

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
So lets take a guy or girl who chooses to go Keto. They adopt this lifestyle change and the longer they are on it, they lose fat and look their best. But at the same time their body loses tolerance to carbs and if they are on this diet long enough, their body will never accept carbs again without serious bad side effects such as swelling and bloating. There have been cases where a person gains 15-20 pounds in just a couple days of eating carbs after being off of them for a while. A fellow competitor shared a story where after prepping for a show he decided to add carbs back in and 3 weeks later he was 50 pounds heavier than his stage weight. Now yes he pretty much ate whatever he wanted post show but still 50 pounds in a matter of weeks? That is an insane number and very dangerous.

Do you think Keto is good or in fact a deal with the DEVIL?

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well if you’re going to imagine that whole situation, then sure. Why not imagine that cutting carbs is equivalent to selling your soul? Sounds fun to me. Back in the real world, you don’t just lose tolerance to carbs forever. People are just bad at readjusting their diets.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I ate some noodles a few weeks back and completely blew up the toilet afterwards. Zero carb 6 months

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So lets take a guy or girl who chooses to go Keto. They adopt this lifestyle change and the longer they are on it, they lose fat and look their best. But at the same time their body loses tolerance to carbs and if they are on this diet long enough, their body will never accept carbs again without serious bad side effects such as swelling and bloating. There have been cases where a person gains 15-20 pounds in just a couple days of eating carbs after being off of them for a while. A fellow competitor shared a story where after prepping for a show he decided to add carbs back in and 3 weeks later he was 50 pounds heavier than his stage weight. Now yes he pretty much ate whatever he wanted post show but still 50 pounds in a matter of weeks? That is an insane number and very dangerous.

Do you think Keto is good or in fact a deal with the DEVIL?
What

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol I get what you are saying. When "Atkins" was real popular in 05/06 I lost 100 pounds in a matter of months. That was around the time I found AM forum. Being Italian/Irish I couldn't keep it going. The weight came back extremely fast. Now I shoot for moderate carbs.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Lol I get what you are saying. When "Atkins" was real popular in 05/06 I lost 100 pounds in a matter of months. That was around the time I found AM forum. Being Italian/Irish I couldn't keep it going. The weight came back extremely fast. Now I shoot for moderate carbs.
Correct and exactly my point. The body loses tolerance to carbs when a person goes on Keto and it can become very dangerous for some. Gaining lots of weight in a short period of time is extremely hard on the body! I don't think its that healthy to do a Keto Diet unless you are in the last month of contest prep and need to get shredded AF. IN that situation I'm supportive and understand that it must be done if you are going to be competitive. For people to go on these lifetime Keto Diets and those Atkins diets is just mind boggling to me. You do not need to do that to be lean or look good. Just eat moderate carbs, with a good amount of protein and healthy fats, work your butt of in the gym and eat clean most of the time with some of your favorite foods thrown in such as pizza and burgers. That is a healthy way of life in my opinion and when you are ready to bulk your body will be more tolerant of carbs. You will be able to eat more of them while liking the way you look, I guarantee it. :)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There's nothing wrong with a keto diet. The human body does not need carbs at all. None. Your body will make its own glucose if needed. Also no1 gets fat because they added carbs back in. It's because they over eat them. Most of the initial weight gain is glycogen and water, not fat. If you wanna go keto fine. You wanna eat carbs, fine. But this topic is stupid as fyk

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And on a side note responding to your questions is a deal with the devil. Now I'm gonna get a million notifications. Fml

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
It's pretty well documented that when you eat something often your ability to digest it increases

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There's nothing wrong with a keto diet. The human body does not need carbs at all. None. Your body will make its own glucose if needed. Also no1 gets fat because they added carbs back in. It's because they over eat them. Most of the initial weight gain is glycogen and water, not fat. If you wanna go keto fine. You wanna eat carbs, fine. But this topic is stupid as fyk
If you take keto out, and replace with any "diet" the over eating can happen. Anything crash or extremely limiting can cause cravings. Me not eating carbs and then going around my Italian family was difficult. Then when I reintroduced carbs, it was like an addiction. I felt like I had to eat every carb in sight lol. I also have a lot of addictive traits in my family, that also plays a role I'm sure.

Basically, for me counting calories is the only thing that I can stick too. I always fail if I go to extreme. Everyone is different though.

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's pretty well documented that when you eat something often your ability to digest it increases
We aren’t talking about digestion. At least as far as I can tell. He literally said your body loses tolerance to carbs forever.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
loses tolerance? wtf man... actaully the opposite happens when you reduce carbs for a period of time... your insulin sensitivity IMPROVES. Now, that doesn't mean that you can go eat 120384910349578g of carbs after being keto for months and not expect bloat and such but there is 100% no evidence that supports your statement and plenty to support improved insulin sensitivity via reduction of carb intake for some time

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
keto diet is healthy, the ''deal with the devil'' is when you pig out on ice cream, cheese cake and pizza and gain 50 lbs of fat in a short period of time

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
We aren’t talking about digestion. At least as far as I can tell. He literally said your body loses tolerance to carbs forever.
You're right

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
keto diet is healthy, the ''deal with the devil'' is when you pig out on ice cream, cheese cake and pizza and gain 50 lbs of fat in a short period of time
****. I'm going to hell.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Still waiting on those pics of your 22" natty biceps

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
you can gain that weight on that food without having ever tried keto haha... keto isn't even a factor in that equation

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Its a proven fact your body loses tolerance to carbs the less you eat them. So the longer you go on an extremely low carb diet or with no carbs (True Keto) once you add a normal amount of carbs back into your diet you will more than likely blow up and gain lots of weight very fast.

If that isn't losing complete tolerance to normal carb intake I don't really know what is going on. Want to go Keto fine, but I guarantee you that you won't be able to eat carbs the way you did before you went on a Keto diet. IT will take a long time to readjust your body and for many is it really worth that? Especially if you are not competing and just lift and want to live a healthy lifestyle?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Its a proven fact your body loses tolerance to carbs the less you eat them. So the longer you go on an extremely low carb diet or with no carbs (True Keto) once you add a normal amount of carbs back into your diet you will more than likely blow up and gain lots of weight very fast.
False.
Your body improves insulin sensitivity the less carbs you eat over a prolonged period of time.
Meaning your blood glucose improves and can take in MORE Carbs when you introduce them. Why do you think as competitors get leaner and lose weight they can handle more carbs? Because they body is insulin sensitive and primed to intake them.

Monitor someone who does keto the leaner they get the more carbs they can eat via refeeds to regulate t3, leptin, and hormone levels.
Your knowledge is as bad as CompeteNPC who makes the dumbest threads and has no scientific backing to any of your statements

So again your statement is false, your threads prove 0 points, and its your "Subjective" thinking on the topic. Which again you can't prove

Another fact, when someone is low carb for so long and adds more food (in a proper manner IE Reverse dieting) they will lose weight for a period of time due to their body's metabolism increasing. this is called the LTDLFE

LTDFLE stands for Long-Term Delayed Fat Loss Effect (I’d note that I have also seen a LTDGE which is a Long-Term Delayed Growth Effect but that’s another topic for another article). Basically, this is the phenomenon whereby fat loss continues to occur even after the diet has been ended and/or calories have been raised back towards/to maintenance or even above. In the same way that fitness sometimes continues to increase after the period of heavy loading, it’s almost as if there is some type of fat loss inertia whereby the diet continues working even after the person ends it.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-ltdfle.html/

when studies put the low-carb folks on a high-carb maintenance diet, their levels of T3 rose
This showed that increasing carbs, regardless of the calorie and macronutrient totals, seemed to show greater T3 production
So we know that carbohydrates are important for thyroid production… but it’s also important for another hormone: Leptin.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10567012

If carbohydrates are too low for too long, you will produce less T3 (thyroid hormone), which can ultimately slow down your metabolism making it harder to consistently lose fat.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
False.
Your body improves insulin sensitivity the less carbs you eat over a prolonged period of time.
Meaning your blood glucose improves and can take in MORE Carbs when you introduce them. Why do you think as competitors get leaner and lose weight they can handle more carbs? Because they body is insulin sensitive and primed to intake them.

Monitor someone who does keto the leaner they get the more carbs they can eat via refeeds to regulate t3, leptin, and hormone levels.
Your knowledge is as bad as CompeteNPC who makes the dumbest threads and has no scientific backing to any of your statements

So again your statement is false, your threads prove 0 points, and its your "Subjective" thinking on the topic. Which again you can't prove

Another fact, when someone is low carb for so long and adds more food (in a proper manner IE Reverse dieting) they will lose weight for a period of time due to their body's metabolism increasing. this is called the LTDLFE

LTDFLE stands for Long-Term Delayed Fat Loss Effect (I’d note that I have also seen a LTDGE which is a Long-Term Delayed Growth Effect but that’s another topic for another article). Basically, this is the phenomenon whereby fat loss continues to occur even after the diet has been ended and/or calories have been raised back towards/to maintenance or even above. In the same way that fitness sometimes continues to increase after the period of heavy loading, it’s almost as if there is some type of fat loss inertia whereby the diet continues working even after the person ends it.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-ltdfle.html/

when studies put the low-carb folks on a high-carb maintenance diet, their levels of T3 rose
This showed that increasing carbs, regardless of the calorie and macronutrient totals, seemed to show greater T3 production
So we know that carbohydrates are important for thyroid production… but it’s also important for another hormone: Leptin.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10567012

If carbohydrates are too low for too long, you will produce less T3 (thyroid hormone), which can ultimately slow down your metabolism making it harder to consistently lose fat.
I see what you are saying but answer me this..........How come people go on diets like Atkins or Keto, once they re-introduce just a minimal amount of carbs they end up blowing up. There's plenty of people out there who eat no carbs and then decide to have pizza or pasta and they end up gaining 10 pounds overnight. If they in fact after going on low carb diets become more tolerant of carbs how come that happens to them? Carbs are water and they create more water weight the longer you go off of them! Therefore less tolerance! That is why so many recommend reverse dieting after contest prep.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
I can debate with you on this also...……

Long-term ketogenic diet causes glucose intolerance and reduced β- and α-cell mass but no weight loss in mice.
Ellenbroek JH1, van Dijck L, Töns HA, Rabelink TJ, Carlotti F, Ballieux BE, de Koning EJ.

High-fat, low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets (KD) are used for weight loss and for treatment of refractory epilepsy. Recently, short-time studies in rodents have shown that, besides their beneficial effect on body weight, KD lead to glucose intolerance and insulin resistance. However, the long-term effects on pancreatic endocrine cells are unknown. In this study we investigate the effects of long-term KD on glucose tolerance and β- and α-cell mass in mice. Despite an initial weight loss, KD did not result in weight loss after 22 wk. Plasma markers associated with dyslipidemia and inflammation (cholesterol, triglycerides, leptin, monocyte chemotactic protein-1, IL-1β, and IL-6) were increased, and KD-fed mice showed signs of hepatic steatosis after 22 wk of diet. Long-term KD resulted in glucose intolerance that was associated with insufficient insulin secretion from β-cells. After 22 wk, insulin-stimulated glucose uptake was reduced. A reduction in β-cell mass was observed in KD-fed mice together with an increased number of smaller islets. Also α-cell mass was markedly decreased, resulting in a lower α- to β-cell ratio. Our data show that long-term KD causes dyslipidemia, a proinflammatory state, signs of hepatic steatosis, glucose intolerance, and a reduction in β- and α-cell mass, but no weight loss. This indicates that long-term high-fat, low-carbohydrate KD lead to features that are also associated with the metabolic syndrome and an increased risk for type 2 diabetes in humans.
KEYWORDS:

glucose intolerance; ketogenic diet; pancreatic islet; α-cell; β-cell

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24398402

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
We are humans not mice ^^^^*

I p. There's plenty of people out there who eat no carbs and then decide to have pizza or pasta and they end up gaining 10 pounds overnight. I.
Your example is an extreme
Anyone can go from 2000 Calories to 5000 Calories Is that optimal no? Even if you ate carbs if you provide a massive surplus you will store it low carb or not. That’s like trying to tell someone what iifym is and saying they eat all their caloties from pop tarts and butter. Nobody is dumb enough to debate an example that isn’t an everyday occurance. And if you have a relation like that with food you should seek a professional.

low carb doesn’t degrade insulin sensitivity. It’s the opposite , I can tell you don’t monitor your blood glucose or understand how your thyroids and hormones are effected off long term deficits and low carbs. Take your BG and record it for 8 weeks on a lower carb diet then a higher carb diet I can guarantee you it lowers which is exactly what booneman77 said

Take someone who steps on a stage and competes . When they reverse diet and add calories back they continually get leaner and drop weight. Why is that? Because it helps improve their thyroid , t3 leptin and hormones levels creatine their metabolism to be repaired. This allows them to add food , get leaner and improve their metabolic rate . The key way is optimal. If you step off stage and eat 4 days worth of your normal calories in a day you will hold water and gain a lot of weight.

If someone eats 2000 calories and decides to eat 10,000 low carb or not they will gain and hold weight. Again you make a far stretched example that has no validity towards using common sense.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
We are humans not mice ^^^^*

Your example is an extreme
Anyone can go from 2000 Calories to 5000 Calories Is that optimal no? Even if you ate carbs if you provide a massive surplus you will store it low carb or not. That’s like trying to tell someone what iifym is and saying they eat all their caloties from pop tarts and butter. Nobody is dumb enough to debate an example that isn’t an everyday occurance. And if you have a relation like that with food you should seek a professional.

low carb doesn’t degrade insulin sensitivity. It’s the opposite , I can tell you don’t monitor your blood glucose or understand how your thyroids and hormones are effected off long term deficits and low carbs. Take your BG and record it for 8 weeks on a lower carb diet then a higher carb diet I can guarantee you it lowers which is exactly what booneman77 said

Take someone who steps on a stage and competes . When they reverse diet and add calories back they continually get leaner and drop weight. Why is that? Because it helps improve their thyroid , t3 leptin and hormones levels creatine their metabolism to be repaired. This allows them to add food , get leaner and improve their metabolic rate . The key way is optimal. If you step off stage and eat 4 days worth of your normal calories in a day you will hold water and gain a lot of weight.

If someone eats 2000 calories and decides to eat 10,000 low carb or not they will gain and hold weight. Again you make a far stretched example that has no validity towards using common sense.
Carbs raise glucose levels. It is proven that keto diets do in fact cause glucose intolerance which is caused by a lower tolerance to carbohydrates. Did you read the article I posted from the same source as you had?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I see what you are saying but answer me this..........How come people go on diets like Atkins or Keto, once they re-introduce just a minimal amount of carbs they end up blowing up. There's plenty of people out there who eat no carbs and then decide to have pizza or pasta and they end up gaining 10 pounds overnight. If they in fact after going on low carb diets become more tolerant of carbs how come that happens to them? Carbs are water and they create more water weight the longer you go off of them! Therefore less tolerance! That is why so many recommend reverse dieting after contest prep.
that 10lb you're talking aboiut isnt fat... its glycogen and water. c'mon man.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
that 10lb you're talking aboiut isnt fat... its glycogen and water. c'mon man.
Thank you! This is one of the dumbest topics I've seen in awhile.OP, what is your point in posting? If YOU think that Keto is the devil, which you clearly do, then don't do Keto. Are you trying to convince the rest of the world to save their souls by staying away from it? Plenty of people have great results on Keto. Live your own life.

Second, you're comments lead to a conclusion that you are quite uneducated on this topic. Let's take me for example. I eat moderate-to-low carbs most of the time. Not because I'm on a special diet, I just eat foods that I like and it tends to end up that way. I adjust my calories accordingly if I'm trying to gain or lose. I'm 5'7" and although I rarely weigh myself, I'm generally around 155-160 and between 12-15% body fat (can always see at least my top abs and I have "man lines"). I don't compete. I'm not trying to be huge.I work about 60 hours/week in corporate America and have a wife and 2-year-old twins. I just turned 35. I just try to stay active and live my life.

Now, given all of that, I can splurge one night and EASILY wake up 5-10 pounds heavier the next day. But of course, I know that very little of that weight is fat. As Boone said, my body is just storing a ton of water and glycogen because I'm usually lower-carb.

Also, Bob will own you in your research battle. Just sayin....

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thank you! This is one of the dumbest topics I've seen in awhile.OP, what is your point in posting? If YOU think that Keto is the devil, which you clearly do, then don't do Keto. Are you trying to convince the rest of the world to save their souls by staying away from it? Plenty of people have great results on Keto. Live your own life.

Second, you're comments lead to a conclusion that you are quite uneducated on this topic. Let's take me for example. I eat moderate-to-low carbs most of the time. Not because I'm on a special diet, I just eat foods that I like and it tends to end up that way. I adjust my calories accordingly if I'm trying to gain or lose. I'm 5'7" and although I rarely weigh myself, I'm generally around 155-160 and between 12-15% body fat (can always see at least my top abs and I have "man lines"). I don't compete. I'm not trying to be huge.I work about 60 hours/week in corporate America and have a wife and 2-year-old twins. I just turned 35. I just try to stay active and live my life.

Now, given all of that, I can splurge one night and EASILY wake up 5-10 pounds heavier the next day. But of course, I know that very little of that weight is fat. As Boone said, my body is just storing a ton of water and glycogen because I'm usually lower-carb.

Also, Bob will own you in your research battle. Just sayin....
this is spot on... and very similar to me. I tend to eat pretty low carb (well under 100g/day, usually closer to 50g including fiber) and can easily gain and lose 10+lb in a day anytime with the right carbs and water. 185 at 9am and 175 at 5pm is not at all uncommon and 175 at 5pm and 185 at 12am is just as easy.

F

franks009

Awards
  • Established
this is spot on... and very similar to me. I tend to eat pretty low carb (well under 100g/day, usually closer to 50g including fiber) and can easily gain and lose 10+lb in a day anytime with the right carbs and water. 185 at 9am and 175 at 5pm is not at all uncommon and 175 at 5pm and 185 at 12am is just as easy.
Lol last night I went to bed at 180 and woke up at 174.6. and I am on the opposite side of the spectrum as far as keto goes.

Probably had to do with the 3 of the pumpkin Cinna buns I had that were 56g of carbs each haha

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I see what you are saying but answer me this..........How come people go on diets like Atkins or Keto, once they re-introduce just a minimal amount of carbs they end up blowing up. There's plenty of people out there who eat no carbs and then decide to have pizza or pasta and they end up gaining 10 pounds overnight.
Reintroduce a “minimal” amount of carbs as pizza or pasta? I don’t think pizza and pasta are very minimal on carbs.

Anyway, you just don’t understand how this stuff works. The problem you see is there’s a few right ways to come off keto, but there’s thousands of wrong ways to do so. Most people don’t do a good job of reintroducing carbs to their diets.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
LoveCompeting, I believe the examples you're referring to are pre-diabetic and diabetic persons who after a time of carb restriction will suffer dire consequences from eating carbohydrate as the insulin rebound that causes hypoglycemia never really goes away despite improved insulin sensitivity and even reversal of diabetes

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
i'm sick and tired of people making excuses! if you're going to pig out on unhealthy carbs to the point you gain 50 lbs of fat, blame it on yourself! don't blame it on the keto diet!

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
i'm sick and tired of people making excuses! if you're going to pig out on unhealthy carbs to the point you gain 50 lbs of fat, blame it on yourself! don't blame it on the keto diet!
Plenty of people out there who end up gaining weight more quickly from carbs than they were before they started the Keto diet, when they go back to eating the same amount of carbs they did before they started dieting. That right there to me pretty much shows that a low carb/keto diet has ****ed up their metabolism when it comes to processing carbs. Creating a carb intolerance! I don't even care if they weight is water, their intolerance is what causes the weight gain. If it wasn't intolerance how do you explain a person who once ate carbs and didn't gain water weight, or experience bloating or swelling and just wanted to get super lean? So they ended up going on the Keto Diet or Atkins. Then once they go back to wanting to eat carbs again, they start eating the same amount of carbs they did before the diet and end up gaining a bunch of weight? If its not the body telling you its intolerant to carbs now I don't know what the **** would be causing their negative side effects.

You can honestly tell me with a straight face and say there body has not lost its tolerance to the same amount of carbs they were eating before if this happens to them?

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Plenty of people out there who end up gaining weight more quickly from carbs than they were before they started the Keto diet, when they go back to eating the same amount of carbs they did before they started dieting. That right there to me pretty much shows that a low carb/keto diet has ****ed up their metabolism when it comes to processing carbs. Creating a carb intolerance! I don't even care if they weight is water, their intolerance is what causes the weight gain. If it wasn't intolerance how do you explain a person who once ate carbs and didn't gain water weight, or experience bloating or swelling and just wanted to get super lean? So they ended up going on the Keto Diet or Atkins. Then once they go back to wanting to eat carbs again, they start eating the same amount of carbs they did before the diet and end up gaining a bunch of weight? If its not the body telling you its intolerant to carbs now I don't know what the **** would be causing their negative side effects.

You can honestly tell me with a straight face and say there body has not lost its tolerance to the same amount of carbs they were eating before if this happens to them?
Yes. You're entire theory is based off of what you have observed in a small section of people, with no other constant variables in their life. I graciously accept people with different opinions/views as my own, but when it comes to this topic - you sir, are an idiot.

(Which I kind of figured after you started this thread with "my friend gained 50 lbs in 3 weeks..." Please research what it would take for someone to gain 50 lbs of fat in 3 weeks).

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Yes. You're entire theory is based off of what you have observed in a small section of people, with no other constant variables in their life. I graciously accept people with different opinions/views as my own, but when it comes to this topic - you sir, are an idiot.

(Which I kind of figured after you started this thread with "my friend gained 50 lbs in 3 weeks..." Please research what it would take for someone to gain 50 lbs of fat in 3 weeks).
Again I never stated fat, I stated weight gain. Even if it came from water which the majority of his weight gain came from, if he has the same tolerance to carbs/glucose, how the **** does he gain 50 pounds of water when he never gained that kind of water weight so quickly from carbs before he went on an extremely low carb/keto diet. This is why so many people advise the reverse diet when adding carbs back in due to the fact that people become less tolerant to carb intake dieting at extremely low carb numbers if they don't want to see drastic weight gain very quickly off the bat when eating carbs again.

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well I think this debate is over. A friend of the great LoveCompeting are too many carbs once, so clearly he knows what he’s talking about.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have used Keto diets, but they are not for me. We are all different and react differently to different dietary principles. Here are some articles I like on the topic though.

"This research showed no significant changes nor effect size on lean body mass, despite hyper-energetic condition and high protein intake (2.0 g/kg/d) in resistance-trained men of the ketogenic diet group. Thus, we conclude that low-carbohydrate dietary approaches would not be an optimal strategy for building muscle mass in trained men under the training conditions of this study (mechanical tension-focused resistance training protocol during 8 weeks)."
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-the-keto-diet-doesnt-like-muscle

The second article is great, it goes over pros and cons

It's not as good as its biggest proponents (who are usually selling something) are claiming. But it's not as bad as its opponents make it out to be. Like almost everything related to diet, it falls somewhere in the middle depending on what your needs are.
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/should-you-go-keto?utm_********tnation&************email&utm_**********weekly_dose-180729

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

this is ridiculous... the water weight is simply due to the fact that carbs casue EVERY BODY to hold more water... its literally part of how they work. The reason they didn't "gain" water when they were eating them was BECAUSE IT WAS ALREADY THERE.

that's like saying i scooped sand out of a wet hole and it was heavy, then it dried and it got lighter, but then it rained and it got heavy again... The sand must have developed a water intolerance when the sun came out....

Reactions: Nac
LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
this is ridiculous... the water weight is simply due to the fact that carbs casue EVERY BODY to hold more water... its literally part of how they work. The reason they didn't "gain" water when they were eating them was BECAUSE IT WAS ALREADY THERE.

that's like saying i scooped sand out of a wet hole and it was heavy, then it dried and it got lighter, but then it rained and it got heavy again... The sand must have developed a water intolerance when the sun came out....
I will kindly disagree due to the fact that people end up having complications with swelling and bloating after adding moderate carbs back in their diet after going Keto for a long period of time.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I will kindly disagree due to the fact that people end up having complications with swelling and bloating after adding moderate carbs back in their diet after going Keto for a long period of time.
Okay, doctor

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dude, just stop. All you’re doing is embarrassing yourself.

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
i love keto diet, with carb refill on the weekends (AKA the anabolic diet)

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
i love keto diet, with carb refill on the weekends (AKA the anabolic diet)
This is how I first started and was the first diet to actually give me gains! I was eating mainly KFC before that

ironhands

ironhands

Awards
  • Established
This is how I first started and was the first diet to actually give me gains! I was eating mainly KFC before that
i like this diet, and i also respect the carnivore diet, i'm making good gains and i'm in the best shape of my life now

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
i like this diet, and i also respect the carnivore diet, i'm making good gains and i'm in the best shape of my life now
I started off with the Anabolic diet and eventually went to restricting the carb refeed to 3 hours and eliminating sugar from it entirely

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It’s the amount and speed that causes bloating... it has nothing to do with intolerance. Carbs will always add water (aka “bloat” but when going from 90% full store to 100% the difference is minimal and won’t cause much to any additional “stretch” or “size” (ie a normal diet with carbs) vs someone going from 0% to 100% by having a 300g pizza which obviously will cause a much more significant stretch.

Here’s another laymen example: fill a balloon 90% full with water. Wait an hour, fill the rest (til it bursts). Then do the same except fill it from 0 to burst all at once. I guarantee it bursts at a smaller size. This is how your skin feels. Everything is only so elastic and if filled in one shot will have less ability to stretch

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It’s the amount and speed that causes bloating... it has nothing to do with intolerance. Carbs will always add water (aka “bloat” but when going from 90% full store to 100% the difference is minimal and won’t cause much to any additional “stretch” or “size” (ie a normal diet with carbs) vs someone going from 0% to 100% by having a 300g pizza which obviously will cause a much more significant stretch.

Here’s another laymen example: fill a balloon 90% full with water. Wait an hour, fill the rest (til it bursts). Then do the same except fill it from 0 to burst all at once. I guarantee it bursts at a smaller size. This is how your skin feels. Everything is only so elastic and if filled in one shot will have less ability to stretch
Every 1g of carbohydrate holds 3g of water. Which has nothing to do with intolerance to carbs.
In here we have learned opinion outweighs science and facts. Hence why OP can't back his statements with research
Learn something new everyday

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This is a prime example of someone who cant science trying to science. My god. The sand example was good Boone, way to really dummy it down for him.