Endomorph bulking help

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yo. I started my bulk this season and it’s been less then a month. I’m already unhappy with the fat I am putting on. I have come to the conclusion my body type is indeed an extreme case of the endomorph. So my question is how do like bodied people build muscle without gaining fat so quickly? How do you eat your macros? Any supplementation that helps? I’ve done research of timing of carbs to address the insulin sensitivity and I know that cla and fish oil could help. Just seeing if any of you guys or girls have something that will help me to gain muscle this winter without screwing myself. TIA

Ase_james

Awards
I've come to learn that if I'm bulking with moderate to high carbs, I have to keep fats around 10% to keep the fat off. That's basically just an avacodo and a fish oil with a little room for an oops.

Also, read about your blood type if you haven't yet. Your blood type should be a factor in your diet. O negative is insulin resistant some are more prone to insulin spikes than others. The leather thing you want is a constant high insulin pump and a high fat diet...

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Either reduce your cal intake or increase your work volume. If your training age is greater than 2-3yrs, you may find the only way to properly bulk is by increasing volume.

Personally, I have found PHAT style training to be the most effective platform for bulking through progressing both intensity and volume.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've come to learn that if I'm bulking with moderate to high carbs, I have to keep fats around 10% to keep the fat off. That's basically just an avacodo and a fish oil with a little room for an oops.

Also, read about your blood type if you haven't yet. Your blood type should be a factor in your diet. O negative is insulin resistant some are more prone to insulin spikes than others. The leather thing you want is a constant high insulin pump and a high fat diet...
I’ll look into the blood type thanks

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Either reduce your cal intake or increase your work volume. If your training age is greater than 2-3yrs, you may find the only way to properly bulk is by increasing volume.

Personally, I have found PHAT style training to be the most effective platform for bulking through progressing both intensity and volume.
I’m currently doing doggcrap and although it’s lower volume I am constantly sore on it and I feel as if it’s working. I was skeptical at first but so far I’ve been pleased. I think the fat gain is from my diet and not the training regime I’m on.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m currently doing doggcrap and although it’s lower volume I am constantly sore on it and I feel as if it’s working. I was skeptical at first but so far I’ve been pleased. I think the fat gain is from my diet and not the training regime I’m on.
Oh ok. Dogcrap is pretty technical from what I understand about it. Before you run a bulking phase on it you need to be fully conditioned for it. If you are still getting sore from dogcrap perhaps you should back off both calories and intensity for a couple months and work on conditioning? Once you begin to habituate to it, you can smash a heap of calories and really wind up intemsity for a macrocycle.

Heres a good link about it:
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw53.htm

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established

FYI
Blood Type correlation to diet has absolutely no scientific validity

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh ok. Dogcrap is pretty technical from what I understand about it. Before you run a bulking phase on it you need to be fully conditioned for it. If you are still getting sore from dogcrap perhaps you should back off both calories and intensity for a couple months and work on conditioning? Once you begin to habituate to it, you can smash a heap of calories and really wind up intemsity for a macrocycle.

I think you may have got that wrong. When I say I’m sore I mean like consistently I am sore week to week but I recover from each workout before the next time I hit that body part. I don’t have a problem with the intensity, if anything it’s way less then I am used to. I was doing Arnold’s intermediate routine through summer. I don’t have a problem building muscle but I do however struggle with gaining fat while bulking up and I’m not even at a full bulk I’m like 200 cals over my maintenance right now which I should not be gaining this much fat from. If I would have to guess I was at 11% and three weeks later I’m probably sitting at 15%.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I’m very confident in my understanding of DC as well

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Hey Imsaint,

I try to stay lean during a bulk too, but it’s difficult. I’ve had some success minimizing weight gain with 35 minutes of MODERATE (heart rate around 70% of my maximum) aerobic work on an elliptical BEFORE my anaerobic workout. I have fluctuated between 201 and 202 the past two weeks with this routine. I gained an initial 2 lb. weight for the first two weeks of my bulk without aerobic warmup going from 199 to 201 lbs.

Everyone is different. It may work for you too.

Good luck!

Humble

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think you may have got that wrong. When I say I’m sore I mean like consistently I am sore week to week but I recover from each workout before the next time I hit that body part. I don’t have a problem with the intensity, if anything it’s way less then I am used to. I was doing Arnold’s intermediate routine through summer. I don’t have a problem building muscle but I do however struggle with gaining fat while bulking up and I’m not even at a full bulk I’m like 200 cals over my maintenance right now which I should not be gaining this much fat from. If I would have to guess I was at 11% and three weeks later I’m probably sitting at 15%.
Gaining muscle quickly without gaining fat is probably impossible (unless u r running PEDs). Manipulating macros is far less important than manipulating total energy consumption, and the only way to reduce fat gain is to reduce calorie intake. If doing this impairs recovery, then there is not much point when muscle gain is the goal.

If you are bulking at 15% bodyfat I honestly wouldnt be too concerned - most of that fat should come back off pretty easily.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gaining muscle quickly without gaining fat is probably impossible (unless u r running PEDs). Manipulating macros is far less important than manipulating total energy consumption, and the only way to reduce fat gain is to reduce calorie intake. If doing this impairs recovery, then there is not much point when muscle gain is the goal.

If you are bulking at 15% bodyfat I honestly wouldnt be too concerned - most of that fat should come back off pretty easily.
I understand that it takes a while to build muscle and I’m not looking for quick really. I’m only 200 cals over my maintenance it just doesn’t make sense. Either way so your opinion is that macro manipulation won’t effect fat storage at all? It makes sense to me that carbs being infested around training or in morning could be utilized better and then cut them off at night. I agree with you that energy balance is king but I think that timing can be important especially for the endomorph that typically has high insulin sensitivity.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Imsaint,

I try to stay lean during a bulk too, but it’s difficult. I’ve had some success minimizing weight gain with 35 minutes of MODERATE (heart rate around 70% of my maximum) aerobic work on an elliptical BEFORE my anaerobic workout. I have fluctuated between 201 and 202 the past two weeks with this routine. I gained an initial 2 lb. weight for the first two weeks of my bulk without aerobic warmup going from 199 to 201 lbs.

Everyone is different. It may work for you too.

Good luck!

Humble
I’ll try doing the aerobic before my weight training. The routine I’m on calls for moderate aerobic on my off days but I’ll try to add some on my training days. That might make a difference.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I understand that it takes a while to build muscle and I’m not looking for quick really. I’m only 200 cals over my maintenance it just doesn’t make sense. Either way so your opinion is that macro manipulation won’t effect fat storage at all? It makes sense to me that carbs being infested around training or in morning could be utilized better and then cut them off at night. I agree with you that energy balance is king but I think that timing can be important especially for the endomorph that typically has high insulin sensitivity.
I think controlling the energy balance is way more effective than manipulating macros, and the best way to do that is to increase both calorie intake and total training volume over time.

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think controlling the energy balance is way more effective than manipulating macros, and the best way to do that is to increase both calorie intake and total training volume over time.
I don’t disagree with you and I don’t think manipulation is the end all be all. Just trying to figure out some ways not to be fat during a bulk that I may be overlooking

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Eat more of your calories from beef

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
HAHAHAHA "blood type diet and 10% from fats"
some people I swear....man that gave me a good LOL
blood type diets are BS. macro percentages are BS. body composition comes down to overall calories/ energy intake. if you're gaining too much fat, you're eating too many calories. you only need a 250-500 cal surplus. any more isn't going to make a bulk more beneficial unless your goal is to gain unnecessary fat....
phhhhh mother effin bro science from people on here is ridiculous

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HAHAHAHA "blood type diet and 10% from fats"
some people I swear....man that gave me a good LOL
blood type diets are BS. macro percentages are BS. body composition comes down to overall calories/ energy intake. if you're gaining too much fat, you're eating too many calories. you only need a 250-500 cal surplus. any more isn't going to make a bulk more beneficial unless your goal is to gain unnecessary fat....
phhhhh mother effin bro science from people on here is ridiculous
I disagree that macro percentages are bull****. If you’re eating mainly fats you can’t tell me that you will gain the same muscle then if you are eating mainly protein

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
I disagree that macro percentages are bull****. If you’re eating mainly fats you can’t tell me that you will gain the same muscle then if you are eating mainly protein
you jumped the gun though, I never said eat whatever t'f you want. breaking down your macros by gram per lb of body weight is most optimal. 1 gram per lb of bodyweight, .4-.6 grams of fat per lb, and then fill rest of calories with carbs or if you prefer fat, then more fat. these are just minimums

Imsaint

Imsaint

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you jumped the gun though, I never said eat whatever t'f you want. breaking down your macros by gram per lb of body weight is most optimal. 1 gram per lb of bodyweight, .4-.6 grams of fat per lb, and then fill rest of calories with carbs or if you prefer fat, then more fat. these are just minimums
You right you right and I do that now. Just playing around with carbs to see how my body reacts.