Grams of fat for bulking?

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
I read that 25-35% of your diet should be comprised of fats. Does this apply to a bulking stage?

Ase_james

Awards
If I'm high carb on a bulk I keep fat around 10-15 percent of my calories, or I'll get fat.

Ase_james

Awards
How many calories are you bulking at? Current weight? Target weight?
Last season I was at about 4200 by the end. 300g carbs and protein. Ended the bulk a slightly chubby 230. Because I left fats higher being on a 20 week bulk.
This season I have to start a little lower, took time off for construction and an injury.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Just make it simple

2g/lb in protein per day. Yes, you don't "need" this much but if you get this in from red meat, you're going to get most of your micronutrients
The rest of your calories come from carbohydrate

If you do this you don't need to worry about macros or anything else.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Ase_james - I tend to keep my fats lower during a bulk to stay leaner. I usually consumer 15% from fats, and never more than 20%. If I eat high fat with extra carbs I get fluffy

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Ase_james - I tend to keep my fats lower during a bulk to stay leaner. I usually consumer 15% from fats, and never more than 20%. If I eat high fat with extra carbs I get fluffy
High fat with high carbs is a recipe for diabetes

marcone

Awards
Just make it simple

2g/lb in protein per day. Yes, you don't "need" this much but if you get this in from red meat, you're going to get most of your micronutrients
The rest of your calories come from carbohydrate

If you do this you don't need to worry about macros or anything else.
Assuming 400 grams solely by eating red meat is not doable for everyone, does beef whey protein contribute to this goal in similar way?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Assuming 400 grams solely by eating red meat is not doable for everyone, does beef whey protein contribute to this goal in similar way?
Consuming all of your protein in red meat is not required - it's AlexPowell 's personal opinion/recommendation.

There are other great (and less expensive) sources of protein to consume - chicken, eggs, whey, and greek yogurt. All of these are solid sources and will contribute to your macro targets in the same way that red meat will

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
The point of eating that much is not really for the "protein" it's to make your diet simple. That way you don't need to worry about your macros or how much you're consuming

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We cannot really say what is ideal for bulking or for you.A good rule of thumb is at least 20% of calories should come from fats to help maintain proper hormone function.

However, this can be dependent for each person. Some people can keep fats lower (20%) and carbs high, to aid with performance. Some people can maintain proper training intensity and muscle fullness on lower carbs and higher fats. You need to experiment and see how these different approaches affect you. Here is a good article on this.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-simple-macros-for-muscle-building