Depression after indulgence.

LoveCompeting

LoveCompeting

Awards
Who here has suffered with depressed thoughts after a weekend of indulgence?

For example you eat a clean diet and one weekend you decide to eat whatever you want to. Or have drinks two days in a row during the summer months due to pool parties and so forth. You start feeling like you are less of an athlete than you were before because you decided to "Live a little."

Discuss.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

For example you eat a clean diet and one weekend you decide to eat whatever you want to. Or have drinks two days in a row during the summer months due to pool parties and so forth. You start feeling like you are less of an athlete than you were before because you decided to "Live a little."

Discuss.
That’s a good question. When I was younger I wasn’t much of an athlete and didn’t lift but I skated and rode mountain bikes A LOT so back then that was my obsession where as building is my life as of now.
I remember after taking pain pills (I know I know, it’s not good to indulge in those but I was young and stupid) I felt like I couldn’t perform on long rides a few days after. Also eating fast food was a big no no before long rides because I’d feel sluggish days after when I went to go for anything over 2 Miles.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Never, my pigouts and nights of drinking are legendary. I'm only depressed when I go too long without them

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Honestly it’s very rare that I do indulge but when I do I literally take the view that’s there’s fcuk all I can do about it now so I go to sleep and start fresh the next day, if anything it sharpens my focus on training and nutrition more.

I come from a background of being very obese though so that plays a factor in my limited occasions of indulgence - quite simply I know where that path leads if I fall back into the habits that took me to 320 lbs so it’s quite easy to limit it to the odd night here and there.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Discuss.
Depression, that is a bit extreme. If that is the case, one may want to talk it out with a professional.

When I was a bro and HAD to eat clean all of the time, I would not get depressed when I had a meal or food that I "shouldn't" have had, but I would feel guilty. Again, this was an issue and is an issue for anyone that experiences thoughts like that. I felt like I needed to do extra cardio, do more sets in the gym, etc. to counter balance and even then, I would feel guilty.

Now that I follow a more relaxed diet, a 10%-15%/90%-85% "dirty" to "clean" foods, I do not feel bad. Also, I know that one meal or a weekend isn't going to make a difference in the big picture. Additionally, I need to enjoy life. I doubt anyone on this forum is making a living off their physique. If one is, then I could see why they might stress. But for everyone else, including someone that does compete, but does not rely on it for their living, guilt or depression should not be felt and could be a larger underlying issue.