Most accurate way to determine maintenance calories?

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
I’ve been looking around at different sources and methods and I get results that aren’t similar. Anyone have a good proven method?

stock28

Awards
  • Established
None are going to be real accurate because everyone is different. Best way is to track your current diet calories for a week or two and watch your weight. If it remains consistent that’s your point gained or lost just go from there

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Eat the same thing every day. If your goal is to gain weight and you're not doing so, increase calories by 5% for that week. Aim for 1lb of weight gain a week or half that for women. Likewise if your goal is to lose fat and you're not doing so, decrease calories by 5% for that week. Again aim for 1lb of weight loss a week and half that for women.

If your diet is red meat, bone broth and rice - this is as simple as adding / removing rice as required.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I suggest using an online calc for a rough estimate - they're usually a bit on the high side. Take that calorie intake and stick to it for a week or two. Be consistent, track everything, watch the scale, and adjust as needed until you aren't gaining or losing weight

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I’ve been looking around at different sources and methods and I get results that aren’t similar. Anyone have a good proven method?
I personally use my current weight and use body weight multiples, for instance to lose an average of 1lb a week i use my body weight x13 (currently sitting at ~164.2lbs so caloric intake is 2136 kcals), my maintenance calories is somewhere between x15.5 and x16.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As above, you need to track both food intake (hitting the same calorie target each day) and weight for weeks and weeks to monitor impact of that calorie intake.

Remember even what you eat (different foods have different thermogenic impact), your activity, your natural metabolism etc can make a difference so quite simply there is no ‘calculator’ that can tell you for sure. Just one of those things you learn over time

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trial and error is the best way, but even that may be off.

I would look at various TDEE calculators and get an average. If your average maintenance is 2,800 cals, I would eat there for a week. Weigh yourself first thing Sunday morning after you use the bathroom, eat 2,800 cals every day for the week, and then weigh yourself the following Sunday after you use the bathroom, before you eat or drink anything.

If you gain weight, you know 2,800 is not maintenance, but if you lose weight, you are under that. if your weight stays the same, you're there. I would not worry if your weight is no 100% percent the same. There are other variables that dictate what you will weigh in at. If you weigh in at 180 pounds and eat 2,800 cals then a week later weight 179.8 or 180.2, you are at maintenance. If you are well over or under, adjust.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your stomach is losing definition and scale weight goes up thats a sign your over =-)