IF and protein macros

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How have you guys been hitting your protein macros on days with limited time? There are days on which work or something will overrun and I'll find myself finishing my workout late, with only 3 hours odd before I need to go to bed. How could I hit my protein macros on these days?
So far I tried not to have more than 50g protein per meal as having more can give me flatulence. Is there a way around this? Or does this 'rule' not apply when you've fasted all day?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How have you guys been hitting your protein macros on days with limited time? There are days on which work or something will overrun and I'll find myself finishing my workout late, with only 3 hours odd before I need to go to bed. How could I hit my protein macros on these days?
So far I tried not to have more than 50g protein per meal as having more can give me flatulence. Is there a way around this? Or does this 'rule' not apply when you've fasted all day?
Days where you are pressed for time, why not use shakes or bars.

As far as your gas issue, that is dependent on each person. Try to have more than 50 grams in one meal and see what happens since you're in a fasted state. Or you could have more frequent meals in your eating window. Something else you can try is digestive enzymes.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll give having 50g+ in a meal a shot. I know I can consume 50+gs of protein in my post-workout meal tho thus far I've been cautious about pushing it and other than the post-workout meal 50gs has been the usual cut-off point for fast digesting proteins. Most of my meals are designed to only require up to an hour to digest already and thus far I've been unable to find a way to design faster digesting balanced meals.
I'll also give digestive enzymes a shot. I wonder how much I can cut digestion time by ?
I used to consume a lot of casein before bed but it turns out I'm a little allergic to the stuff and it leaves me a little sedated. Haven't tried augmenting casein with lactase yet tho. Could give that a shot.
I also used to consume a large meal consisting of slow digesting meat (beef or lamb) before bed. When I did I found my body could utilise about 20g per hour no problem and I stopped doing that as I've been trying to sleep on an empty stomach for higher HGH.

Atm I'm recomping and am consuming 200gs of protein a day

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll give having 50g+ in a meal a shot. I know I can consume 50+gs of protein in my post-workout meal tho thus far I've been cautious about pushing it and other than the post-workout meal 50gs has been the usual cut-off point for fast digesting proteins. Most of my meals are designed to only require up to an hour to digest already and thus far I've been unable to find a way to design faster digesting balanced meals.
I'll also give digestive enzymes a shot. I wonder how much I can cut digestion time by ��
I used to consume a lot of casein before bed but it turns out I'm a little allergic to the stuff and it leaves me a little sedated. Haven't tried augmenting casein with lactase yet tho. Could give that a shot.
I also used to consume a large meal consisting of slow digesting meat (beef or lamb) before bed. When I did I found my body could utilise about 20g per hour no problem and I stopped doing that as I've been trying to sleep on an empty stomach for higher HGH.

Atm I'm recomping and am consuming 200gs of protein a day
A digestive enzyme isn't used to speed up digestion. Actually, if digestion is too quick, you will poop out your food and not utilize the minerals, protein, etc that the food as to offer. Hence why when one's stomach is digesting food too quick, food is seen in stool. Digestive enzymes are used to help digest food better and utilize the nutrients.

If you are following IF and consuming 200 grams of protein a day, that should not be a problem in an 8 hour window, given how your body digests protein. 4 meals, every 2 hours and each meal has 50 grams protein.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A digestive enzyme isn't used to speed up digestion. Actually, if digestion is too quick, you will poop out your food and not utilize the minerals, protein, etc that the food as to offer. Hence why when one's stomach is digesting food too quick, food is seen in stool. Digestive enzymes are used to help digest food better and utilize the nutrients.

If you are following IF and consuming 200 grams of protein a day, that should not be a problem in an 8 hour window, given how your body digests protein. 4 meals, every 2 hours and each meal has 50 grams protein.
My work can be have unpredictable working hours. Meaning if something happens somewhere in the world I may need to respond at a moment's notice. It can also be pretty intense and high pressure so it can be hard to justify taking even a 15 minute break for eating.
Having an 8 hour eating window each day is the plan but on some days I'll find out I've got work to do and my eating window will end up only being like 3 hours long because I'd been the working the whole time. I believe (partly based on personal experience, partly based on theory) that consuming certain micronutrients with protein is essential to optimising the benefit from the protein so a pure protein shake won't suffice more than once a day (flatulence, a sign of gluconeogenesis, thus protein wasting).
I'm looking into on-the-go nutrition solutions atm and I made a promising find this week thankfully and I'll look into leaving more long-life food at my desk, but atm I need to contend with only having 3 hours for eating some days

Could you recommend any compound supplements for providing a plethora of important micro-nutrients without having too many anti-oxidants? I've read that too many anti-oxidants can inhibit gains by reducing inflammation too far

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Protein before bed has no effect on GH output, only carbs and fat blunt GH spikes.

Also take an igloo thermos and keep it with you with protein powder in it, and then just drink it when it is time. No need to make it just open it and down it. Also take some beef jerky for occasions where you can't stop for a meal.

On those late nights that can't be avoided just swill whatever whey powder you need to get to your macros and deal with the farts for the night. I mean if you aren't sharting then just deal with it unless you feel physically sick from it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Worst case scenario you can't get the protein in replace it with carbs... will keep you anabolic and far easier on the stomach. Caloric intake is WAY more important that specific macros.