Don’t underestimate Gluten

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Let me start this with saying not everyone needs a gluten free diet, and that there are varying levels of sensitivity to gluten, just like every other intolerance or allergy. It may cause you an upset stomach, but does not mean you have Celiacs, etc

Anyways, I had suffered with bloat, sadness, skin problems, etc. I had seasonal allergies year round, and it was terrible.

Attempted a gluten free diet and not only does digestion just feel natural and I feel much less bloated, I have experienced an almost total cessation of allergies, skin issues, etc.

One of the biggest changes is my energy and mood. I would always feel very sad and not motivated to stick to a daily plan or tasks. It has completely changed. I can get by with 5-6 hours of sleep and stick to my plans through the day without feeling negative. Give me a big gluten meal and I almost instantly experience mood changes and a general negative outlook on life, on top of an extreme lethargy. Gluten is a protein that quickly passes the blood-brain barrier, and I believe many people nowadays due to GMO/etc get inflamed from gluten. This also reversed by brain fog pretty much 90%. Don’t underestimate your food! Maybe for you it’s dairy, or soy, etc. for me it was gluten

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
Am a celiac. Can tell you all of these symptoms can easily be gluten for me.

If I screw up once, it’ll axe me for up to 2 weeks. There are some tricks to help you miss most of the more unpleasant effects, like sculling a shot of ACV.

I’d recommend anyone who suspects their diet is non-optimal due to allergy go check out “imupro” and get some basic testing done. It can be a total game changer and get rid of weird symptoms you’ve just put up with.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Am a celiac. Can tell you all of these symptoms can easily be gluten for me.

If I screw up once, it’ll axe me for up to 2 weeks. There are some tricks to help you miss most of the more unpleasant effects, like sculling a shot of ACV.

I’d recommend anyone who suspects their diet is non-optimal due to allergy go check out “imupro” and get some basic testing done. It can be a total game changer and get rid of weird symptoms you’ve just put up with.
Potentially I might have celiacs Disease? What do you think is it possible from what I’ve described? Either way I don’t want to go back into a gluten diet so that I can get tested, but I’m sure some day I’ll relapse and so I’ll probably get tested for the hell of it then. I do live by ACV and honey, I love to mix them in hot water every morning ideally.

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
Yeah, there is also non-celiac gluten sensitivity, revolving around excessive zonulin release, which causes excessive bowel wall permeability issues. Try that imupro test. :)

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Grains in general have so many chemicals and pesticides (glyphosate being one) that disrupts so many processes in our microbiome. People that say gluten does not effect them at all are usually disconnected from their body or have never tried going without it strictly for more than a few weeks.(it’s in everything) It greatly impacts my mood, libido, energy, creativity, and work ethic in an extremely correlated way. Hard part is it’s usually 24+ hours after that it really hits me. So took me a while to make the connection.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Grains in general have so many chemicals and pesticides (glyphosate being one) that disrupts so many processes in our microbiome. People that say gluten does not effect them at all are usually disconnected from their body or have never tried going without it strictly for more than a few weeks.(it’s in everything) It greatly impacts my mood, libido, energy, creativity, and work ethic in an extremely correlated way. Hard part is it’s usually 24+ hours after that it really hits me. So took me a while to make the connection.
You summed the symptoms up great. I recall reading a study that scientists prepared bread the way It was done 100-200 years ago, and the gluten in it did not impact a celiac patient at all. I think we modified something along the way.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Also a lot of people shot me down when I suggested this, but I believe depression and the like are caused by inflammation throughout the body and also in the brain. Gluten probably just causes inflammation for a lot more people then they realize. It crosses the blood brain barrier after all. On top of this, why do people get so much better/happier on pain killers (even an ibuprofen would help me have a much better day mood wise)...well I believe it reduced inflammation and helped relieve some symptoms. It was a band-aid and not solving the root cause however.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. Some say it works for them. I may feel better when I cut out bread and more gluten .

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. Some say it works for them. I may feel better when I cut out bread and more gluten .
My family has a history of gluten issues / celiacs so for me at least I know it definitely worked

I think I read gluten negatively effects up to 70% of people, though it doesn’t have to be a serious effect by any mean. I don’t believe the gluten we get today is very natural so there’s no real reason we as humans “need” it.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My family has a history of gluten issues / celiacs so for me at least I know it definitely worked

I think I read gluten negatively effects up to 70% of people, though it doesn’t have to be a serious effect by any mean. I don’t believe the gluten we get today is very natural so there’s no real reason we as humans “need” it.
Im glad you feel better when eating a gluten free diet. It may be like lactose intolerant that some people are only 10% , 30%, 50%, 70%, 90% , etc

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
“Grain brain” is a great book by a neurologist on this topic

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
Also a lot of people shot me down when I suggested this, but I believe depression and the like are caused by inflammation throughout the body and also in the brain. Gluten probably just causes inflammation for a lot more people then they realize. It crosses the blood brain barrier after all. On top of this, why do people get so much better/happier on pain killers (even an ibuprofen would help me have a much better day mood wise)...well I believe it reduced inflammation and helped relieve some symptoms. It was a band-aid and not solving the root cause however.
Actually, neural inflammation is where the current depression research is at, along with gut flora / fauna.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Actually, neural inflammation is where the current depression research is at, along with gut flora / fauna.
I wish our medical community would treat root issues and causes rather than hand-aid the problems

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wish our medical community would treat root issues and causes rather than hand-aid the problems
Unfortunately most patients do not want to put in the effort to completely overhaul their lives which would be necessary to treat the root issue. You dont think providers counsel their patients on diet and exercise? What percentage of those patients do you think actually put onto practice the things that their providers recommend? I dont know the exact number, but my estimate would be 75+ percent given the fact that 60+% of patients have a difficult time staying compliant with their medication regimen which is in most cases much easier to follow than a complete lifestyle overhaul. Sometimes putting a bandaid over something is the only thing the provider has control over and the patient has to put some effort in as well. Now if you apply the bandaid, and the patient makes the lifestyle change which improves their condition (pending you caught the disease process early enough), then i promise you a large percentage of (good) providers will work on getting the patient off the med.

mrhappyoz

mrhappyoz

Awards
You’re demonstrating a level of care that is more professional than many doctors I encounter in my travels.

More often than not, I see doctors shoot from the hip when diagnosing issues and then throw bandaids around to manage the symptoms without investigating the layers below. I don’t know if they are overworked, underslept or just sick of dealing with people who don’t follow advice, but it seems to be a common experience.

When you find a good doctor, make sure you treat them well. :)