Coconut Flour and Low-Carb/Keto Diet

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking into using coconut flour instead of regular flour to make low-carb/keto friendly bakes. I'm just want to know if the fibre from the coconut flour count as calories and carbohydrates on a low-carb/keto diet?

Thanks in advance.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I believe it does count but don’t quote me on that. You can’t subsitute on a 1 for 1 basis in cooking though.....(I’ve tried lol)

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I believe it does count but don’t quote me on that. You can’t subsitute on a 1 for 1 basis in cooking though.....(I’ve tried lol)
I tried the 1 for 1 idea with just protein powder last week and let me tell you, the resulting "cake" was a little errmmm interesting haha!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I tried the 1 for 1 idea with just protein powder last week and let me tell you, the resulting "cake" was a little errmmm interesting haha!
Lol, yep made that mistake myself before. Have managed to use protein powder to make a brownie type cake with beetroot as a moisturiser before, normally I make sweet potato brownies though (defo not low carb however)

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Care to share the recipe?
Believe it was this one (I didn’t bother with the toffee flavour drops and used a chocolate protein instead of vanilla from the protein works) - I did it as muffins

1/2 cup vanilla whey
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 cooked beetroots (3 medium)
2 tablespoons hazelnut butter – or peanut butter
1 tablespoon psyllium husks
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon toffee flavdrops
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Blend ALL the ingredients together and bake at 160 C (320 F) in a mini loaf pan like I did for about 35 minutes or until your knife comes out clean when you stab them. If you don’t have a mini loaf pan, that’s cool – just use some muffin tins!

Macros per Serving (out of 9):

90kcals
7.8g protein
6.7g carbs
3.1g fat.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Believe it was this one (I didn’t bother with the toffee flavour drops and used a chocolate protein instead of vanilla from the protein works) - I did it as muffins

1/2 cup vanilla whey
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 cooked beetroots (3 medium)
2 tablespoons hazelnut butter – or peanut butter
1 tablespoon psyllium husks
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon toffee flavdrops
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Blend ALL the ingredients together and bake at 160 C (320 F) in a mini loaf pan like I did for about 35 minutes or until your knife comes out clean when you stab them. If you don’t have a mini loaf pan, that’s cool – just use some muffin tins!

Macros per Serving (out of 9):

90kcals
7.8g protein
6.7g carbs
3.1g fat.
Awesome Cheers man!
I'll have to substitute the nut butter for non-fat greek yogurt due to allergies, but I'll deffinitely give this a shot and let you know how it goes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 9
Company Promotions 0
Supplements 31
Supplements 55