Eating only 10 hours a day = muscle growth?

Salvicx

Awards
I was watching Joe Rogan on his podcast and his guest Dr. Rhonda Patrick claimed that if you eat within 10 hours a day your body will naturally build more muscle even without exercise. She came to this conclusion after seeing this experiment done on rats. So if you wake up at 8 you shouldn't eat passed 6. She claims your body has a natural clock that starts as soon as you eat or drink anything other than water. After that time your body goes into repair mode and if you eat you are imposing on that process. Sounds plausible but difficult. Any thoughts?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you’re trying to build muscle without working out, you’re running a race hopping on one foot backwards. Can it be done? Maybe, but why? It is far from ideal.

If she is proposing that eating <10h/day and not exercising will build more muscle than eating >10h/day and exercising, she’s out of her mind. If she’s saying that training, or lack thereof, equal, eating within 10h will build more muscle, I’d still say that it’s largely trivial, as exercise, recovery, and daily macro/nutrient/etc intake will vastly outweigh eating your food in 9 or 12 hours.

Don’t major in the minors, particularly if you haven’t even dialed in the major variables.

Salvicx

Awards
No of course not. She just claimed that these rats gained significant muscle mass with no difference other than the timing of being fed. I was wondering if anyone had and additional information on this to support it or debunk it. She is saying it will assist in the recovery and muscular gains.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
The thing is, they are talking about the average person. Even dr Patrick and joe rogan both say about the insulin spike is actually a good thing for bodybuilding but bad for the average person. I like IF and think it helps with losing weight but I don’t think it helps with building MORE muscle than if I were to eat when I woke

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No of course not. She just claimed that these rats gained significant muscle mass with no difference other than the timing of being fed. I was wondering if anyone had and additional information on this to support it or debunk it. She is saying it will assist in the recovery and muscular gains.
Were they eating a large amount of protein? Perhaps it is something that may matter when sub-optimal protein is consumed, but not so relevant when high/optimal protein intake is consumed? I may be completely off-base, but I haven’t seen this study. Personally, I wouldn’t base my entire eating routine around a rodent study, and I would certainly prioritize total food intake over this sort of timing regardless.

Do you happen to have a link to the study?

Salvicx

Awards
I don't have the link I only took what she said and came here to see what everyone else had to say. It would make sense in terms of losing weight and that is not my goal, just to maintain and shred.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It makes at least some sense potentially in terms of minimizing fat gain, but I don’t see it making much difference in terms of how much muscle you build. It may make bulking particularly difficult though, particularly if you struggle to eat enough in the whole day, forget limiting your time to eat even further.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
It makes at least some sense potentially in terms of minimizing fat gain, but I don’t see it making much difference in terms of how much muscle you build. It may make bulking particularly difficult though, particularly if you struggle to eat enough in the whole day, forget limiting your time to eat even further.
I agree with this.