5 small meals a day benefits?

Salvicx

Awards
Hello, ive decided to switch up my diet. At first I was only interested in bulking for the mirror. Being 135lbs I had to eat much more than I was used to. After 2 months of obsessing over caloric intake I felt sluggish and fat even though It wasnt a dirty bulk and it was quality food.

Ive noticed MMA fighters tend to eat more meals in smaller portions as their bodies need to be refueled. I'm looking to be as strong as possible without losing my speed or stamina. Is this the best way to gain that?

My training consists of weighted(25lbs) chin-ups and pull ups. Many variations of core exercises with/without weights. Light leg workouts mainly squats with/without weights. Hitting the bag for a warm up and cool down. Im rarely doing isolated lifting. No running at the moment due to 3ft of snow. Yes I'm doing this all outside on my porch but temps below 32 seem to be good for the body when exercising, atleast from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Ase_james

Awards
Hello, ive decided to switch up my diet. At first I was only interested in bulking for the mirror. Being 135lbs I had to eat much more than I was used to. After 2 months of obsessing over caloric intake I felt sluggish and fat even though It wasnt a dirty bulk and it was quality food.

Ive noticed MMA fighters tend to eat more meals in smaller portions as their bodies need to be refueled. I'm looking to be as strong as possible without losing my speed or stamina. Is this the best way to gain that?

My training consists of weighted(25lbs) chin-ups and pull ups. Many variations of core exercises with/without weights. Light leg workouts mainly squats with/without weights. Hitting the bag for a warm up and cool down. Im rarely doing isolated lifting. No running at the moment due to 3ft of snow. Yes I'm doing this all outside on my porch but temps below 32 seem to be good for the body when exercising, atleast from what I've seen.
My body bulks better snacking all day, heavy on carbs around rhe midday mark then tapering off. Everyone has different needs though.

Im not sure you'll have any success "bulking" without weight in your routine especially legs. Most people need heavy lifts as a maintenance of muscle and increasing resistance throughout a bulk phase.

How are your macros spread out?

Salvicx

Awards
I didn't mention that I'm not looking to bulk but gain strength and muscle endurance.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The key is simply calories in vs calories out. As long as you consume more over the course of a day than you expend you’ll grow stronger as you build more lean mass. Various studies have showed the meal frequency, split and timing as limited impact (note, if your competing or similar then obviously the smallest of benefits would be worth it but for the other 99% that aren’t it’s not important).

Make sure you’re getting 1g + per lb of body weight protein and a small calorie surplus every day.....keep the surplus low if you don’t want extra size.

Should probably note that strength comes from both having more muscle but also recruiting existing fibres better.....that’s going to need to come from training.