Can long-term low fat diet have permanent negative effects on the body?

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm a 27 y/o male. Found out that low fat diet results in low libido/testosterone. I've been eating under 15g of fat daily, for the past 5+ years. It's no wonder my libido is non existent. (I wasn't avoiding fats, just ate whatever I felt like which happened to not have any fats).

Since this has been going on for years, I want to know if this could have resulted in permanent negative effects on my hormones/testosterone?

Or is it as simple as upping my fat intake to the required levels and my body/hormones will be back to normal?
Your body/hormones should go back to normal if you up your fat intake. General consensus is that you shouldn't consume less than 20% of your maintenance calories in the form of fat. Personally, I find having a jar of coconut oil and a bottle of avocado oil useful for whenever I need to have a little more fat
Testosterone is made from cholesterol and so consuming primarily plant derived fats isn't optimal as its typically low in cholesterol

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Im in the middle of a meeting so apoligies for lack of detail but absolutely you need to up your fat. Carbs in theory you can do without (not saying its optimal in terms of performance for everyone but it wont adversely affect general health). Low or no fat and protein will affect general health negatively.

I like nuts, coconut oil, whole eggs, avocardo, fatty cuts of beef and full fat greek yog as fat sources.