REVERSE DIET - FEMALE

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone done it? Any advice? I am looking to start in a week or two and want to be able to maintain my lean body with minimal body fat gain but also grow muscle.

Do you advise getting a coach for this? Anywhere that I can read to try to do this by myself and coach myself though it, or with the help of all of you!?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone done it? Any advice? I am looking to start in a week or two and want to be able to maintain my lean body with minimal body fat gain but also grow muscle.

Do you advise getting a coach for this? Anywhere that I can read to try to do this by myself and coach myself though it, or with the help of all of you!?
Well getting a well respected coach would be optimal. Smarter than anyone on this board (Matt Porter, Shelby Starnes, John Meadows, Jason Theobald, Matt Jansen, Allen Cress) but they’re gonna cost you.

From the sounds of your question (and I could be wrong) you’re not in the best place to “do it on your own” hell ive been competing for a few years now and I still stay with my coach to reverse out of contest prep. I could probably do it on my own but I’m probably at a different level than you are in terms of what I really want (national level bodybuilder)

Reversing isn’t rocket science but knowing when to add can be crucial with cardio and carbs. Basically add cutting back on cardio by 50% and increasing carbs each week by 25-100gr is pretty typical.

I was eating 100gr a day and 45min cardio. Week one I’m now at 300gr carbs and doing 25min a day.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I know I could maybe do it. I have read enough i just feel like I get stressed not knowing if what I am doing is going to work... those prices though... LOL

I have thought about Paul from Pro Physique.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know I could maybe do it. I have read enough i just feel like I get stressed not knowing if what I am doing is going to work... those prices though... LOL

I have thought about Paul from Pro Physique.
I know, trust me. I started prep this year on my own after working with Matt Porter for over 14 months. I did 6 weeks on my own and said screw it and hooked up with him at 12 weeks out instead of the planned 6. It was well worth the investment.

If doing solo, I’d just error on the side of slower is better. You’ll get there but maybe an extra few weeks, you know?

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Perfect there is no rush to my diet and my reverse. I was going to start with 15g of carbs and 5g of fats. and then up that each week as long as I am not gaining and lower cardio slowly.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That bump is way too low for how long of a cut you were on. You also have a big thread regarding a deload because you never take time off. You really need to let your body relax for a bit for how long you have pushed it because you never take time off and are coming off a serious cut. Since you are lean insulin sensitivity is high and your body can tolerate food better in a leaner state. I would double that out of the gate (30g carbs and 10g fat) and cut your cardio in half.
Reverse dieting concepts are going to be similar to males. Basically adding back in food and cutting cardio back. Remember you will probably still lose weight in the first few weeks due to the LTDLFE

https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-ltdfle.html/

LTDFLE stands for Long-Term Delayed Fat Loss Effect./ Basically, this is the phenomenon whereby fat loss continues to occur even after the diet has been ended and/or calories have been raised back towards/to maintenance or even above. In the same way that fitness sometimes continues to increase after the period of heavy loading, it’s almost as if there is some type of fat loss inertia whereby the diet continues working even after the person ends it.

Great articles:
https://mountaindogdiet.com/nutrition/nutrition-basic/what-you-need-to-know-about-reverse-dieting/
http://www.kylehuntfitness.com/reverse-dieting-build-muscle-and-stay-lean/
https://www.biolayne.com/articles/nutrition/why-you-should-reverse-diet/
https://www.iifym.com/reverse-diet-survival-guide/
https://www.muscleforlife.com/reverse-diet/
http://3dmusclejourney.com/recovery-diet-reverse-diet/
https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/bodybuilding/post-season-dieting-discussion/
https://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/optimal-approach-postcontest-rebound

[video=youtube;A3gTGLulLnI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI[/video]

Perfect there is no rush to my diet and my reverse. I was going to start with 15g of carbs and 5g of fats. and then up that each week as long as I am not gaining and lower cardio slowly.
The goal in a reverse is to get some weight back on you. Staying that lean year round is not optimal for a health and hormone standpoint. If you think you won't gain anything when you add back food you are mistaken. Especially females being in a very lean state for a longer period of time is where they may start to lose their periods which can have vicious side effects. I have seen it on some of my own clients that I do work with. I had them get bloodwork 8 weeks after dieting (and reversing) to make sure levels are getting back to normal. I also monitor their warmth (Sometimes they are always cold from being so lean), sleep, mood, energy, libido which are all good signs that when adding back food your body is responding.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
That bump is way too low for how long of a cut you were on. You also have a big thread regarding a deload because you never take time off. You really need to let your body relax for a bit for how long you have pushed it because you never take time off and are coming off a serious cut. Since you are lean insulin sensitivity is high and your body can tolerate food better in a leaner state. I would double that out of the gate (30g carbs and 10g fat) and cut your cardio in half.
Reverse dieting concepts are going to be similar to males. Basically adding back in food and cutting cardio back. Remember you will probably still lose weight in the first few weeks due to the LTDLFE

LTDFLE stands for Long-Term Delayed Fat Loss Effect./ Basically, this is the phenomenon whereby fat loss continues to occur even after the diet has been ended and/or calories have been raised back towards/to maintenance or even above. In the same way that fitness sometimes continues to increase after the period of heavy loading, it’s almost as if there is some type of fat loss inertia whereby the diet continues working even after the person ends it.

The goal in a reverse is to get some weight back on you. Staying that lean year round is not optimal for a health and hormone standpoint. If you think you won't gain anything when you add back food you are mistaken. Especially females being in a very lean state for a longer period of time is where they may start to lose their periods which can have vicious side effects. I have seen it on some of my own clients that I do work with. I had them get bloodwork 8 weeks after dieting (and reversing) to make sure levels are getting back to normal. I also monitor their warmth (Sometimes they are always cold from being so lean), sleep, mood, energy, libido which are all good signs that when adding back food your body is responding.
Wow thank you for this response I will look into all those articles. I am currently at 19% body fat so I dont think I am close to losing my period or that I am as lean as my body could be.

You are correct that I do have pretty intense workouts and i dont take much time off.

I currently eat 1,650 calories and on the weekend sometimes its 1,750 calories.

So you think its still ok to bump up to the 30g carbs and 10g fats?

This is my routine:

Monday: OFF
Tuesday: Upper + 10 min HIIT
Wednesday: Lower + 15 min LISS
Thursday: Upper + 10 min HIIT
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Lower + 15 min LISS
Sunday: Full Body + 15 min LISS

Should how would I change my first week or two?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Wow thank you for this response I will look into all those articles. I am currently at 19% body fat so I dont think I am close to losing my period or that I am as lean as my body could be.

You are correct that I do have pretty intense workouts and i dont take much time off.

I currently eat 1,650 calories and on the weekend sometimes its 1,750 calories.

So you think its still ok to bump up to the 30g carbs and 10g fats?

This is my routine:

Monday: OFF
Tuesday: Upper + 10 min HIIT
Wednesday: Lower + 15 min LISS
Thursday: Upper + 10 min HIIT
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Lower + 15 min LISS
Sunday: Full Body + 15 min LISS

Should how would I change my first week or two?
I have read all your threads, i have seen your workouts on your IG. Believe me I know where you are at. your in a lean position for a female, and your coming off a long term cut. I would personally cut back to training 4x a week (U/L is good or a Push Pull Legs doing one of them two times a week). The extra day could do you well. Put 1 HIIT day on a workout day, and you could split up the LISS on workout or non workout days. I would also try to include streching and rumble rolling to help loosen up your body and keep your muscles from getting tight. This should help tons with recovery.

How would you change your first week? I already explained that above for you
Cut cardio in half, and raise kcals by at least 30g carbs and 10g fat. Again the goal of reversing is to restore hormones, get your body back to homeostasis and get a bit of weight on you. Not everyone walks around in their leanest state or stays in a long term deficit or else they will forever have hormonal or health issues.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
I have read all your threads, i have seen your workouts on your IG. Believe me I know where you are at. your in a lean position for a female, and your coming off a long term cut. I would personally cut back to training 4x a week (U/L is good or a Push Pull Legs doing one of them two times a week). The extra day could do you well. Put 1 HIIT day on a workout day, and you could split up the LISS on workout or non workout days. I would also try to include streching and rumble rolling to help loosen up your body and keep your muscles from getting tight. This should help tons with recovery.

How would you change your first week? I already explained that above for you
Cut cardio in half, and raise kcals by at least 30g carbs and 10g fat. Again the goal of reversing is to restore hormones, get your body back to homeostasis and get a bit of weight on you. Not everyone walks around in their leanest state or stays in a long term deficit or else they will forever have hormonal or health issues.
You settle down now ;)

Ok on more questions then, cut cardio in half and train 4 days a week? This change in training would start the week of my reverse when I up my calories?

I was also thinking the last week of my cut (which is next week during Thanskgiving) I was going to do 3 full body work outs with HIIT and then on the other 4 days (REST days) do lower carb? Would that be a good way to end my cut? and then the following do what you stated above?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You settle down now ;)
Settle down because I am helping you?

Ok on more questions then, cut cardio in half and train 4 days a week? This change in training would start the week of my reverse when I up my calories?
yes

I was also thinking the last week of my cut (which is next week during Thanskgiving) I was going to do 3 full body work outs with HIIT and then on the other 4 days (REST days) do lower carb? Would that be a good way to end my cut? and then the following do what you stated above?
Sounds like a recipe of restriction
Just eat your regular calories. Enjoy thanksgiving, and move forward. its one meal, one day, a national holiday you celebrate once a year.
In 2-3 days all the water will be off back on normal calories. Don't stress over it. Enjoy the food, enjoy the family. Eat sensible and enjoy your moderation.

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Settle down because I am helping you?

Sounds like a recipe of restriction
Just eat your regular calories. Enjoy thanksgiving, and move forward. its one meal, one day, a national holiday you celebrate once a year.
In 2-3 days all the water will be off back on normal calories. Don't stress over it. Enjoy the food, enjoy the family. Eat sensible and enjoy your moderation.
It's called sarcasm...

I was going to be eating the same amount of calories next week, not restricting... I wasn't doing it due to thanksgiving either. I planned on eating my meal and enjoying that day. But I wanted to start backing off on training the last week of my cut and to only train 3 days next week. Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Opposite days would be rest and I would lower my carbs but up my fats so I would still be eating the same amount of calories. Then next Sunday (Nov 27) I would reverse.