Best place to find a calorie calculator?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I have been slacking on eating properly and I’ve gotten to the point where I’m slipping down that nasty slope. Where do you guys go for your calorie calculator? Or if someone could PM me and help me calculate out my macros.

I’m at 203 lbs and 5’7” right now and I want to work my way down to 165-170lbs.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I use MyFitnessPal, just download the free version

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
How much protein should I be eating daily?
I assume that you are cutting? I tend to use the following macros for cutting

Protein - 1.5g per lb of body weight as this helps me with satiety but anywhere from 1g per lb is fine

Fats - 0.4-0.5g per lb of body weight for hormonal balance

Carbs - to balance your daily caloric intake

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've used the free version of myfitnesspal for years - highly reccomend it.

The macro split mickc1965 has given you is good. I also personally like to eat 1.5g protein per lb of bw (purely an enjoyment and sustainability thing. Natural lifters dont need more than 1g per lb but i just find high protein easier)

Personally i like to keep carbs at 100g per day or less on a cut. Mostly around training. I increase fats if needed to make up the calories. Again though as long as total calories in is less than AMR you'll lose weight, i just feel and perform better on lower carb. Go with the most sustainable carb/fat split for you (within reason, you need some fats for health)

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I’ve always used MyFitnessPal

Max.1

Awards
I can definitely recommend Yazio to you! It's perfect for keeping track of calories and macros and is really easy to use! :) I've been using it for more than a year now and it has helped me a lot with my weight loss and also with building muscles.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established

Protein - 1.5g per lb of body weight as this helps me with satiety but anywhere from 1g per lb is fine

I've used the free version of myfitnesspal for years - highly reccomend it.

The macro split mickc1965 has given you is good. I also personally like to eat 1.5g protein per lb of bw (purely an enjoyment and sustainability thing. Natural lifters dont need more than 1g per lb but i just find high protein easier)

Personally i like to keep carbs at 100g per day or less on a cut. Mostly around training. I increase fats if needed to make up the calories. Again though as long as total calories in is less than AMR you'll lose weight, i just feel and perform better on lower carb. Go with the most sustainable carb/fat split for you (within reason, you need some fats for health)
Would I base the protein off my weight now or goal weight?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I set it to current weight and adjust accordingly, some set protein based on their lean body mass at the end of the day as long as it's over 1g per lb of your lbm you should be ok if you want it higher that for me is the preferred option for satiation purposes

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha man. Thank you.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much protein should I be eating daily?
It depends on if you're bulking or cutting. When bulking, you can keep your protein on the lower end, about 1g/lb. When cutting. I prefer a higher amount of protein. Personally, it keeps my fuller longer and I think it helps with recovery and lean mass retention. Base your protein amount off your current weight, not your goal weight. Adjust your protein intake as you loss or gain weight.

MBeast27

Awards

I do the same protein is 1 gram per lb of body weight.
Fat intake will be around .4 to .5 grams per lb of your target body weight.
Carbs I just eye ball it I love my carbs lol

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I did a macro breakdown last night. I took current weight and what my maintenance would be (somewhere I read was BW x 14 and BW x 17 was the range for maintenance) then took off 15% for a safe weight loss calories. This is what I got:

2380 kcal
250g protein (1.25g/lb of BW)
100g fat (.5g/lb of BW)
120g carbs

If the calories for maintenance is off please let me know.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I did a macro breakdown last night. I took current weight and what my maintenance would be (somewhere I read was BW x 14 and BW x 17 was the range for maintenance) then took off 15% for a safe weight loss calories. This is what I got:

2380 kcal
100g fat (.5g/lb of BW)
120g carbs

How often do you train, for how long and at what intensity bro?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established

2380 kcal
100g fat (.5g/lb of BW)
120g carbs

Maintenance calories is going to vary depending on your activity etc, all you can do is start at 2380 kcals and if you don't lose weight for a couple of weeks then you would need to lower it again, very much trial and error

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
How often do you train, for how long and at what intensity bro?
4-5 days/week, training 60-75mins and difficult workouts. I’m breaking a sweat and breathing heavy.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Maintenance calories is going to vary depending on your activity etc, all you can do is start at 2380 kcals and if you don't lose weight for a couple of weeks then you would need to lower it again, very much trial and error
Gotcha. Thats what I’ll do for sure man. Thanks.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
4-5 days/week, training 60-75mins and difficult workouts. I’m breaking a sweat and breathing heavy.
I get your AMR to around 2,300-2,500 a day, lots of variables can influence this though so starting at the level youve outlined and adjusting is good advice. I think you might need to get closer to 2,000 but no need to start there.

Split looks good to me

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I get your AMR to around 2,300-2,500 a day, lots of variables can influence this though so starting at the level youve outlined and adjusting is good advice. I think you might need to get closer to 2,000 but no need to start there.

Split looks good to me
Thanks man. Like they said, if I need to drop some calories I’ll make the adjustments if I don’t see a drop in a couple weeks.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
How much are you planning to lose per week?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also recommend MyFitnessPal. Online I've used fitday too.

CarneyFolk

CarneyFolk

Awards
Another vote for MyFitnessPal. Easy to use. Great pie graphs and bar graphs to easily see trends in your eating and calorie expenditure. Most restaurant/fast food items are pre loaded.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been slacking on eating properly and I’ve gotten to the point where I’m slipping down that nasty slope. Where do you guys go for your calorie calculator? Or if someone could PM me and help me calculate out my macros.

I’m at 203 lbs and 5’7” right now and I want to work my way down to 165-170lbs.
I write everything on a piece of paper daily. You can use a calculator to add it up at the end of the day.

maggie.stine

maggie.stine

Awards
I also needed one, thanks for sharing it with us. It really is a struggle for me to compute my calorie intake.

ky1981

Awards
Go to gravitus.co and use the Macro Calculator in Tools to calculate your TDEE and enter the numbers in MyFitnessPal.

My personal preference is always keep Protein 1g/lb, Fat as a percentage 25-30% (don't go below 15% and don't go over 30%, the rest of the macros for carbs.
My training days: P 1g/lb, F 25%, C 50%
My off days: P 1g/lb, Fat 50%, C 25%

Keep tracking and keep consistent. Good luck.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Go to gravitus.co and use the Macro Calculator in Tools to calculate your TDEE and enter the numbers in MyFitnessPal.

My personal preference is always keep Protein 1g/lb, Fat as a percentage 25-30% (don't go below 15% and don't go over 30%, the rest of the macros for carbs.
My training days: P 1g/lb, F 25%, C 50%
My off days: P 1g/lb, Fat 50%, C 25%

Keep tracking and keep consistent. Good luck.
So on your off days you lower carbs to about 25-30% and then replace remaining calories with fats?

ky1981

Awards
So on your off days you lower carbs to about 25-30% and then replace remaining calories with fats?
Yes, low carbs high fats (quality fats like eggs, olive oil..) but same calories as on training days (not low carbs low calories). It’s crucial to keep calories the same to recover better on your rest days and gets you ready for your next training days. And don’t forget the veggies take them daily.
That’s what worked for me so give it a try for a couple of months and adjust things from there.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Yes, low carbs high fats (quality fats like eggs, olive oil..) but same calories as on training days (not low carbs low calories). It’s crucial to keep calories the same to recover better on your rest days and gets you ready for your next training days. And don’t forget the veggies take them daily.
That’s what worked for me so give it a try for a couple of months and adjust things from there.
Will do man. Thanks.