Plant Based Diets

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Is it still very feasible to still pack on muscle while maintaining a diet consisting mostly of grains, fruits and vegetables? I still drink protein, but is it even needed? spending less money on supplements is key! obviously this diet is great for cutting but did not want to start losing muscle as well as the fat. This is not really going to be a diet but more a lifestyle if I can still build muscle while not eating meat.

minotauros0

Awards
Is it still very feasible to still pack on muscle while maintaining a diet consisting mostly of grains, fruits and vegetables? I still drink protein, but is it even needed? spending less money on supplements is key! obviously this diet is great for cutting but did not want to start losing muscle as well as the fat. This is not really going to be a diet but more a lifestyle if I can still build muscle while not eating meat.
meat is essential to build muscle.. muscle is also meat.. no matter what you supplement meat is still key.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
You can still use Plant Based protein powders or vegan friendly ones to meet your daily protein requirements

Anzview360

Anzview360

Awards
meat is essential to build muscle.. muscle is also meat.. no matter what you supplement meat is still key.
That is the dumbest comment/ opinion I have ever heard.

To answer op, I went vegan 2 years ago and didn’t lose any muscle. I lost little fat as well. You just have to know your food groups and monitor your body. Also, I got stronger than When I was eating meat. The industry wants everyone and their mom to rely on protein. They want you to consume massive amounts that are ridiculous, and hardly get absorbed anyway. One is literally pissing away money if he consumes 3-4 protein shakes a day. Anyone who would like to challenge that with peer reviewed articles please be my guest

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That is the dumbest comment/ opinion I have ever heard.

To answer op, I went vegan 2 years ago and didn’t lose any muscle. I lost little fat as well. You just have to know your food groups and monitor your body. Also, I got stronger than When I was eating meat. The industry wants everyone and their mom to rely on protein. They want you to consume massive amounts that are ridiculous, and hardly get absorbed anyway. One is literally pissing away money if he consumes 3-4 protein shakes a day. Anyone who would like to challenge that with peer reviewed articles please be my guest
I agree with you brother. I am mostly plant based..love my pepperoni pizza, chicken wings, and in n out. However, 90% of my diet has been plant based for the past year or so and my energy levels have skyrocketed and I am also stronger on all the major lifts. I am a firm believer in plant based diets.

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
I believe there is no truth behind this comment.

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
I agree with you brother. I am mostly plant based..love my pepperoni pizza, chicken wings, and in n out. However, 90% of my diet has been plant based for the past year or so and my energy levels have skyrocketed and I am also stronger on all the major lifts. I am a firm believer in plant based diets.
That sounds a lot like my diet good sir! strength and energy has shot way up. I was just making sure that this change would still add size and lean me out. I love this though and we all have to admit we have our weaknesses when it comes to a diet but changing over was a lot easier than you would think.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Couple of things I noticed from
Friends and family who went full vegan. At first, they feel incredible. Energy boost, fat loss, even no need to wear deodorant. Eventually, things such as fat loss, etc reversed. Inflammation became another big issue probably due to high grain consumption. After several years, they began to feel run down, lost strength, and began to crave meat 24/7 as if their body needed it.

Some of those people just added fish or eggs and solved a lot of problems. Others kept the clean eating principles of a plant based diets and added local organic meats etc. 2 others switched to full keto.

The conclusion they came to was it was great at first to detoxify themselves and have more strict and disciplined eating habits. However, only one of the 11 people I knew felt it was sustainable long term.

Now there are people who have been vegan for years and been fine. I also personally know 2 people who have not had anything more than a trace carb and close to 20 years. I would imagine the answer lies somewhere in the middle

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Couple of things I noticed from
Friends and family who went full vegan. At first, they feel incredible. Energy boost, fat loss, even no need to wear deodorant. Eventually, things such as fat loss, etc reversed. Inflammation became another big issue probably due to high grain consumption. After several years, they began to feel run down, lost strength, and began to crave meat 24/7 as if their body needed it.

Some of those people just added fish or eggs and solved a lot of problems. Others kept the clean eating principles of a plant based diets and added local organic meats etc. 2 others switched to full keto.

The conclusion they came to was it was great at first to detoxify themselves and have more strict and disciplined eating habits. However, only one of the 11 people I knew felt it was sustainable long term.

Now there are people who have been vegan for years and been fine. I also personally know 2 people who have not had anything more than a trace carb and close to 20 years. I would imagine the answer lies somewhere in the middle
Very true, I feel at that point it just boils down to knowing you own body. Everyone is different and adding some sort of meat protein after time would not be much of a bad thing at all. I believe just like anything else when it comes to food, moderation is key. So if meat is re-introduced into a plant based diet just be mindfull of the amount consumed and there should be no issues other than moral issues lol...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, one can build muscle without eating meat. It just comes down to meeting your required protein intake each day. Studies have shown that we only need .82 g/lb. You can invest in a vegan protein product for more protein. But if you wanted to focus on only getting protein from whole foods, select foods that have a higher protein amount. For example, use almonds as a fat source. Beans, lentils, quinoa for carbs. Tofu for protein, greek yogurt, milk, cheese, etc for protein.

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Def. Agree. I am not going full vegan so i live a vegetarian lifestyle. But i take mass gainer for the extra calories.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I mean obviously this is complete bull****tery but fortunately many others ^^^ have already pointed this out.

Personally I’m miles away from plant based but have assisted those who are in identifying good protein sources. Seitan for example has a ridiculously high protein content.

Honestly I do think a diet that includes meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, diary, legumes, nuts and seeds is preferable for many but largely because it allows for more variety and it’s easier to hit protein intake.

Totally doable plant based though, just takes more imagination.....

gijoe69

Awards
I agree. protein powders are over rated. I used to do 2 grams of lb per body weight, and a huge chunk of the that was protein powders. I went more vegan, not entirely yet, i dont actually look for protein, and my strength hasnt been affected. I got leaner. So i would agree protein powders are a bit overrated. lets say they arent for everyone.