Diet while in military training

artb

Awards
Every month for about two weeks I spend a day on/off in the desert. I'm looking for things to eat/cook. I have a cooler and grill however it's not always convenient for me to cook. I do cook steak/asparagus/peppers. I always bring tuna and pre cooked quinoa. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Protein powder with water and a banana or 3. If you can keep stuff cold I guess anything. The shake just seems like the simplest option

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Are you trying to eat healthy or just convenient? Can you bring a jet boil? They are super compact/lightweight and mountain home freeze dried meals are so good. Very quick and convenient. Just boil water.

artb

Awards
Yea I can bring one, mountain home freeze dried meals...will give it a try.

Trying to eat as healthy as I can

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What are you doing in the desert? I do a fair amount of backpacking and always burn more calories than I take in. During these trips, convenience and weight always takes precedence over healthy. Usually high fat, high carb meals that I fix with boiling water (Jetboil is awesome!) in a freezer bag. Breakfast is Oats / Nido / dried blueberries / flax seeds. Dinner is typically Ramen noodles with Nido, powdered cheese and some type of dehydrated meat. I typically will take some protein bars and Spam to eat during the day.

artb

Awards
I'm not burning a lot of calories. I'm in a truck, no a/c or doors, and I'm usually following people around or observing them. I have room to bring whatever I need, time is an issue so it looks like the jet boil will be my best bet

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not burning a lot of calories. I'm in a truck, no a/c or doors, and I'm usually following people around or observing them. I have room to bring whatever I need, time is an issue so it looks like the jet boil will be my best bet
Google "Freezer Bag Cooking" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Jetboils are great at boiling water. Actually cooking meals, not so much. It can be done, but heat management with a Jetboil is definitely a learned skill.

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
Beings I'm nautical I can't really compare, but, I used to make my own calorically dense oatmeal to bring along when I'd be on extended patrols