Diet while in military training

1. Diet while in military training

Every month for about two weeks I spend a day on/off in the desert. I'm looking for things to eat/cook. I have a cooler and grill however it's not always convenient for me to cook. I do cook steak/asparagus/peppers. I always bring tuna and pre cooked quinoa. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Protein powder with water and a banana or 3. If you can keep stuff cold I guess anything. The shake just seems like the simplest option
    •   

3. Are you trying to eat healthy or just convenient? Can you bring a jet boil? They are super compact/lightweight and mountain home freeze dried meals are so good. Very quick and convenient. Just boil water.

4. Yea I can bring one, mountain home freeze dried meals...will give it a try.

Trying to eat as healthy as I can

5. What are you doing in the desert? I do a fair amount of backpacking and always burn more calories than I take in. During these trips, convenience and weight always takes precedence over healthy. Usually high fat, high carb meals that I fix with boiling water (Jetboil is awesome!) in a freezer bag. Breakfast is Oats / Nido / dried blueberries / flax seeds. Dinner is typically Ramen noodles with Nido, powdered cheese and some type of dehydrated meat. I typically will take some protein bars and Spam to eat during the day.
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper
    •   

6. I'm not burning a lot of calories. I'm in a truck, no a/c or doors, and I'm usually following people around or observing them. I have room to bring whatever I need, time is an issue so it looks like the jet boil will be my best bet

7. Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    I'm not burning a lot of calories. I'm in a truck, no a/c or doors, and I'm usually following people around or observing them. I have room to bring whatever I need, time is an issue so it looks like the jet boil will be my best bet
    Google "Freezer Bag Cooking" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Jetboils are great at boiling water. Actually cooking meals, not so much. It can be done, but heat management with a Jetboil is definitely a learned skill.
    Twenty-Two Until None
    I Am My Brothers Keeper

8. Beings I'm nautical I can't really compare, but, I used to make my own calorically dense oatmeal to bring along when I'd be on extended patrols
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
  2. Need a place to train while in Memphis
    By Longdog in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
  3. Can my protein mixture degrade while in water?
    By pinoy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 02:08 AM
  4. Diet Rich in Whole Grains May Thwart Diabetes
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 09:07 PM
  5. 40 in 12-training
    By 40 in 12 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2003, 10:25 AM