To much protein is there such a thing

Loganm90

Awards
I've been lifting for 5-6 years now & I'm still Making steady gains I usually take in about 250-300 g protein/day I'm weighing in right at 200lbs right now but over the years I've had some ppl try and tell me that your body can't process anything more than 100g/day or around there and the rest just gets wasted idk I've never seen any research to back that statement but just curious if anybody's heard that before

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It will process it all but your body can also convert protein to glucose ie gluconeogenisis.. So it utilises whats needed but it can also convert and store the extra as fat. I think too high a protein can have negative effects on the kidneys? But.. Maybe only for some. 200 gram would be just as beneficial and fill those extra calories in with carbs or extra healthy fats?

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
You should be fine with 0.82g/lbs of bodyweight. I'm fine at 150g per day, even when cutting, I'm looking full as f and staying real strong while leaning out! Even might get stronger! Now I am bulking and upping my kcal, so I like to up my protein too, I don't count now, but I'd say 200+.

omega_spartan

Awards
High protein diets will only really cause issues in people with a history of medical issues in the kidneys. If you’re healthy you will be fine and the body will utilize what it needs and as bell1986 said, convert protein to glucose through gluconeogenesis and either get utilized as energy, converted to glycogen or stored as fats.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When bulking, protein intake can be lowered. As mentioned, there are studies showing .82g/lb is fine. I prefer higher protein when cutting, no more than 1.5g/lb though. After that, I wouldn't say it is useless, but your wallet will hate you. Protein sources are more expensive than fat and carb foods.

Loganm90

Awards
Ok thats good to know I'm running 1,4 Andro right now for some reason I thought the extra protein would help but its just as beneficial to keep it at 150-200g per day thatll save me some money

I also work hard manual labor throughout the week alot of digging and stress on back and arms does that change anything.. sorry of these are dumb questions

Firreozkan

Firreozkan

Banned
Awards
If you are running a cycle.... I'd try stay on the higher end.... and the more active you are, the more protein you need. Let's say you do a cardio session, you need some protein for that too. So if you work at a manual labor, you should probably stick to 200+!

Loganm90

Awards
Alrite yea man thx I probally shouldve mentioned that in the beginning, I try to keep my Cal's pretty high during the week cause I'll work my ass off m-f and still hit the gym 4-5 times luckily I recover pretty quick, get plenty of rest, etc cause of all the stress on my body thank you for all the responses

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've been lifting for 5-6 years now & I'm still Making steady gains I usually take in about 250-300 g protein/day I'm weighing in right at 200lbs right now but over the years I've had some ppl try and tell me that your body can't process anything more than 100g/day or around there and the rest just gets wasted idk I've never seen any research to back that statement but just curious if anybody's heard that before
That's a total myth on your body only processing a certain amount of protein

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another thing i would mention... Protein is *usually* a more expensive form of food or powder.. Ie look at a bag of pasta compared to a pack of chicken? Carbs are a far cheaper source of energy.. Just if your thinking of the money side of things anyway.

I see no harm in extra protein though.. Protein also has a more thermic effect. Ie your body needs to produce more energy to break it down so more energy means more calories which can keep you slightly more lean.. Thats a whole other subject though.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Ideal would be 0.75 when bulking, 1.25 - 1.5 grams when cutting.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another thing i would mention... Protein is *usually* a more expensive form of food or powder.. Ie look at a bag of pasta compared to a pack of chicken? Carbs are a far cheaper source of energy.. Just if your thinking of the money side of things anyway.

I see no harm in extra protein though.. Protein also has a more thermic effect. Ie your body needs to produce more energy to break it down so more energy means more calories which can keep you slightly more lean.. Thats a whole other subject though.
I mentioned the cost as well.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Solid info in here - the 100g per day is definitely a myth. If you're bulking and taking in sufficient calories each day, there is less demand to have a higher protein intake. Since carbs are protein sparing, your body will use carbs as fuel first. If you're cutting it's wise to have protein a bit higher, but I don't go above 1.2-1.3g per pound of body weight. For a 200lb guy, I think 200-225g would be a good spot to be at with protein intake.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Carbohydrates are protein and muscle sparring and you can eat less protein while carbs are a bit higher. It depends on the day , and physical activity that day. Generally training days, I take in 300-350 grams protein, 150- 200 carbs depending on if focused on keeping waist tighter, 100-120 grams for fat. I started a new job beg of October and Im moving around a bit more than I used to and on my feet quite a bit more, so obviously I looked at my nutrition log, which i log my food everyday, and calories increased. I didn't even try to increase them, a natural process. It takes willpower to go around hungry , but that's another entirely different subject

For example yesterday I didnt train I washed and waxed my car, ran some errands, and did stuff but no cardio or weights, Felt so good to have a full day off to relax. I ate 230g protein, 170 carbs and 120 fat

The day before, 350 protein, 230 carbs and 110 fat, I trained back, and worked at my job where I move around quite a lot and on my feet for five maybe six hours.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You guys are a little confused on when gluconeogenisis happens... It is a process that takes place when there is not enough glucose/glycogen to supply the muscle with the ATP needed. So protein only gets converted during low carb periods, or during fasting / starvation. Quite often during ketogenic dieting efforts. You aren't going to be in a mixed macro diet plan randomly kicking of gluconeogenisis while blood sugar and glycogen levels are sufficient...

Also not everything is either used or stored. You are crapping out protein, carbs and fats every single day. When it comes to protein, if it isn't used or stored it is processed as waste. In the typical situation excess protein is not going to be stored as carbohydrate, or fat. It will be removed as waste unless deficient enough in some other area that you require it to be converted for use.

There have been some studies showing that there are some performance and growth benefits by going as high as 1.25g/lb, and many saying you don't need more than .8g/lb so I tend to stick in that range. Sometimes for greater satiety I have a lot more protein IE 300g plus, but it is for satiety not to elicit more protein synthesis.

Large protein meals were the norm when we had to forage and hunt. Out body has feedback loops to slow down the digestion process so that everything can get processed. Even a 3lb steak eaten in one sitting is going to get processed correctly. The bolus sphincter from the stomach to the small intestines closes to a much smaller hole when a large meal has been eaten to slow the nutrients entering the intestines down to the point that the intestines can process the meal. A lot of that only so much protein in one meal crap came from the owner of nautilus excercise machines starting to sell protein and telling everyone only so much protein could be used per meal so you needed more frequent and higher amounts of protein. AKA, Hey guys, buy my product...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys are a little confused on when gluconeogenisis happens... It is a process that takes place when there is not enough glucose/glycogen to supply the muscle with the ATP needed. So protein only gets converted during low carb periods, or during fasting / starvation. Quite often during ketogenic dieting efforts. You aren't going to be in a mixed macro diet plan randomly kicking of gluconeogenisis while blood sugar and glycogen levels are sufficient...

Also not everything is either used or stored. You are crapping out protein, carbs and fats every single day. When it comes to protein, if it isn't used or stored it is processed as waste. In the typical situation excess protein is not going to be stored as carbohydrate, or fat. It will be removed as waste unless deficient enough in some other area that you require it to be converted for use.

There have been some studies showing that there are some performance and growth benefits by going as high as 1.25g/lb, and many saying you don't need more than .8g/lb so I tend to stick in that range. Sometimes for greater satiety I have a lot more protein IE 300g plus, but it is for satiety not to elicit more protein synthesis.

Large protein meals were the norm when we had to forage and hunt. Out body has feedback loops to slow down the digestion process so that everything can get processed. Even a 3lb steak eaten in one sitting is going to get processed correctly. The bolus sphincter from the stomach to the small intestines closes to a much smaller hole when a large meal has been eaten to slow the nutrients entering the intestines down to the point that the intestines can process the meal. A lot of that only so much protein in one meal crap came from the owner of nautilus excercise machines starting to sell protein and telling everyone only so much protein could be used per meal so you needed more frequent and higher amounts of protein. AKA, Hey guys, buy my product...
Well done Kleene ;)