Body Composition 1.5 years

psgill91

Awards
First of all, thank you very much all of the fitness enthusiats here. I read the posts here and people have so much knowledge.

So this goes back to june 2016..

Did a scan = 83.8 kgs body weight

62 kg lean muscle mass

26 percent body fat

Fat around middle section

Weak legs- size wise

Worked out for 1.5 years, had ups and downs

Ran 5 different training styles

Did a scan september 2017

Body weight 80.5

Lean mass 61.5

23 percent body fat

Still fat in middle section (i take responsibility)

Still small legs same measurements

Test levels are normal.

Stress was so high in the past year

Diet was good and bad

Lifting was better and made progress

In mirror body looks better than last year

I wonder what went wrong

With decent nutrition one would expect to gain 2-3 kgs in 1.5 years of lean muscle mass, with all the steak, chicken, eggs , and supplimenting with cratins, bcca, whey, arginine, etc

I felt really bad..

Im 26 years old..

Is is my peak plateau?

All of my body measurements are same or smaller infact..

And i have pushed myself so much..

I know there could be numerous reasons-

But how do i take it from here,

My biggest concern is , do i loss the body fat first ? (Without lossing muscle, so hard) at 23 percent nos

Or do i keep lean bulking and later on cut

Thanks guys

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
at 20+% bf you are not "lean" bulking haha. Also, if you lost weight, you definitely were not bulking... that said, you need to diet down before you try to bulk.

Based on the fact that you say you trained hard but the measurements show that you actually lost lean mass (which seems nearly impossible and makes me question what exacly you used to measure those stats) the biggest culprit has to be your diet. You said it was "good and bad"... it sounds like it had to have been more "bad" since you went literally the oppiosite direction of your goal (to add lean mass). Did your stength increase? you performance in the gym? what type of programs are you using?

Not much of hat you've said here makes sense... Not to be a dik, but the laws of physics and thermodynamics apply to everyone so something in either your measurements or your actual execution of what seems to be a reasonable plan are 100% off here...

JAMES1980

JAMES1980

Awards
at 20+% bf you are not "lean" bulking haha. Also, if you lost weight, you definitely were not bulking... that said, you need to diet down before you try to bulk.

Based on the fact that you say you trained hard but the measurements show that you actually lost lean mass (which seems nearly impossible and makes me question what exacly you used to measure those stats) the biggest culprit has to be your diet. You said it was "good and bad"... it sounds like it had to have been more "bad" since you went literally the oppiosite direction of your goal (to add lean mass). Did your stength increase? you performance in the gym? what type of programs are you using?

Not much of hat you've said here makes sense... Not to be a dik, but the laws of physics and thermodynamics apply to everyone so something in either your measurements or your actual execution of what seems to be a reasonable plan are 100% off here...
Always enjoy reading your comments and learning from your comments. Sorry, i am not stalking booneman77 .

mytreefiddy

mytreefiddy

Awards
I agree with Boone said.... Trust me when I tell you this.... Its all freakin diet.... always has been, always will be....

psgill91

Awards
Thanks man, i know i take the blame , my diet was bad at times , but i always took sufficient protein , trained. and i thought, if i was gaining fat, i will still would have made some gains in lean muscle mass too.. which dint happen. So i think my best bet will be to lower the body fat to 15% ? And then lean bulk from there ? Or even try to go lower? thanks .. i am just trying to establish how low bfat one should go before coming back to a lean bulk

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks man, i know i take the blame , my diet was bad at times , but i always took sufficient protein , trained. and i thought, if i was gaining fat, i will still would have made some gains in lean muscle mass too.. which dint happen. So i think my best bet will be to lower the body fat to 15% ? And then lean bulk from there ? Or even try to go lower? thanks .. i am just trying to establish how low bfat one should go before coming back to a lean bulk
Ideally you would get down to 10-12% before bulking. The reason is simply that hormonal and relative to insulin sensitivity your body will be in a much better place to build muscle vs fat in a far better ratio vs higher bf levels.

psgill91

Awards
Ideally you would get down to 10-12% before bulking. The reason is simply that hormonal and relative to insulin sensitivity your body will be in a much better place to build muscle vs fat in a far better ratio vs higher bf levels.
I think i have done it wrong my entire life thinking when il reach the muscle mass level i want i will just cut once.. but its wrong.. i have to cut and start from the bottom.. cheers, no going from here

mytreefiddy

mytreefiddy

Awards
You don't have to be "peeled" to start a lean bulk however you should at least see the outline of your abs.....if not, you'll just get "fatter"

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"Diet was good and bad"
Yo yo dieting will really be counterproductive. I think diet probably is the biggest factor if your training. You have to be disciplined and consistent. Of course we have our cheat meals and love them you just can't eat like that regularly.

I would look at doing a full on cut or body recomp where your burning fat while building some muscle.

Diet, cardio and supplements can help you with the process. Really I think you need to dial in your diet. These guys are giving you excellent advice.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think i have done it wrong my entire life thinking when il reach the muscle mass level i want i will just cut once.. but its wrong.. i have to cut and start from the bottom.. cheers, no going from here
yeah theres certainly a balance. you "could" bulk while higher bf (think power lifter type build) but you will NOT build an optimal ratio of lean mass to fat mass. It sounds like you need some help with both your diet and potentially training as if you truly were consuming proper levels of protein and overall calories, you should have at least build SOME muscle (vs losing some as your measures suggest). You should post up a sample of a few days of eating and some training programs you follow and maybe we can direct you a bit to help.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Yes I agree with everyone but I think you may not understand how proper macros should be put into play. Here are two simple things you can do:

1. Download MyFitnessPal
2. Enter your info into the Layne Norton PH3 diet choose lean bulk. I have lost fat on this diet especially if you train hard. It workswonders for me. Here's the link man:
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ph3-layne-norton-trainer-nutrition-supplementation-overview.html

Took me some solid time understand how important and how nutrition works.