Intermittent fasting?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Intermittent fasting?

Hey all has anyone tried IM whilst bodybuilding? Looking to get into it for weight loss initially then maintenance whilst adding a little muscle. Has anyone experience with adding muscle in a shorter eating window I.e 8 hours eating and 16 hours fasting? Interested in your thoughts about catabolism in the 16 hours of not eating or does the natural higher HGH release by the body offset this? And can as much muscle be added if all other variables were the same I.e macros, training etc. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. Intermittent fasting?

Interested in the responses you get on this as have just started to try and lean bulk in the last 5 weeks but still seem to be losing weight at a caloric intake where I would previously have been in surplus, raised it to body weight x18 and weight is slowly climbing but need to see what the average increase is over a few weeks as my weight fluctuates quite a lot despite eating the same foods day to day.

Below weights are my weekly average, body weight multiple is food intake less calories from cardio

10/08 - 167.0
    17/08 - 167.8 (+0.8 at x17)
    24/08 - 166.6 (-1.2 at x15.5)
    31/08 - 166.5 (-0.1 at x17)
    07/09 - 166.5 (0 at x17)
    14/09 - 167.6 (+1.1 at x18) *

* The last week was a big weight fluctuation (166.2, 165.8, 169.6, 170.8, 168.2, 167.4, 165.2) from a serious food binge after a drinking session on the Saturday afternoon.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Interested in the responses you get on this as have just started to try and lean bulk in the last 5 weeks but still seem to be losing weight at a caloric intake where I would previously have been in surplus, raised it to body weight x18 and weight is slowly climbing but need to see what the average increase is over a few weeks as my weight fluctuates quite a lot despite eating the same foods day to day.

Below weights are my weekly average, body weight multiple is food intake less calories from cardio

10/08 - 167.0
    17/08 - 167.8 (+0.8 at x17)
    24/08 - 166.6 (-1.2 at x15.5)
    31/08 - 166.5 (-0.1 at x17)
    07/09 - 166.5 (0 at x17)
    14/09 - 167.6 (+1.1 at x18) *

* The last week was a big weight fluctuation (166.2, 165.8, 169.6, 170.8, 168.2, 167.4, 165.2) from a serious food binge after a drinking session on the Saturday afternoon.
    Interesting mate thanks. Are you doing IM at the moment as this could cause the weight loss? That's one of the biggest side effects of this diet.
  4. Intermittent fasting?

Yes I am currently doing Intermittent Fasting (approx 6 months), more for the supposed health benefits rather than weight loss after researching on behalf of the missus as she is suffering from Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vikingbro View Post
    Hey all has anyone tried IM whilst bodybuilding? Looking to get into it for weight loss initially then maintenance whilst adding a little muscle. Has anyone experience with adding muscle in a shorter eating window I.e 8 hours eating and 16 hours fasting? Interested in your thoughts about catabolism in the 16 hours of not eating or does the natural higher HGH release by the body offset this? And can as much muscle be added if all other variables were the same I.e macros, training etc. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Are you going to fast daily?

I've used IF for a little less than a year. Both off season and pre contest.

I've never considered it much of a tool for fat-loss. I don't let the window of fasting effect my intake for the day. If I'm eating 3,200 kcal's and fasting 16hrs, it's no different then spreading that 3,200 kcal's out over a longer period.

Digestion, blood glucose maintenance, and a trying to lower systemic inflammation is what I'm using it for. I add in one or two 14-16 hr fasts weekly.
    Biggest issue I could see with someone using it daily (for growth) would be your ability to consume enough calories in that window. For me...3,200 calories in 8-10hr ain't happening! Lol not through turkey and white rice anyway.

It has worked really well for me in controlling my blood glucose....inflammation --I can't really tell...and digestion--nothing noticeable.

For me it's worth it for just the BG maintenance. It's important to me how well I'm partitioning my food. I check my BG a few times a week.
    •   

6. I am fasting daily (16:8) and currently consuming ~3000 kcals

7. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Yes I am currently doing Intermittent Fasting (approx 6 months), more for the supposed health benefits rather than weight loss after researching on behalf of the missus as she is suffering from Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer
    Sorry to hear this brother. Hoping the best for you both.

8. Quote Originally Posted by ECC View Post
    Sorry to hear this brother. Hoping the best for you both.
    Thank you

9. I've been counting macros for months but started IF a month ago steady 8 on, 16 off weekdays. 12 on and 12 off weekends. I've lost nearly 4% BF in 3 weeks. I know I've gained muscle cause I've only lost 11.5 lbs. At first, I felt a little sluggish as my body adapted. But now... I feel fantastic. My body looks leaner and I've seen an increase in my gains. When you train your body to do this, it lowers your insulin levels so you burn fat instead of muscle. I absolutely love IF.

10. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Prayers and <3 for you both.

11. Quote Originally Posted by celliem View Post
    Prayers and <3 for you both.
    Thank you

12. Quote Originally Posted by celliem View Post
    I've been counting macros for months but started IF a month ago steady 8 on, 16 off weekdays. 12 on and 12 off weekends. I've lost nearly 4% BF in 3 weeks. I know I've gained muscle cause I've only lost 11.5 lbs. At first, I felt a little sluggish as my body adapted. But now... I feel fantastic. My body looks leaner and I've seen an increase in my gains. When you train your body to do this, it lowers your insulin levels so you burn fat instead of muscle. I absolutely love IF.
    Awesome thanks mate

13. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    Thanks for your answer and I'm sorry to hear about your partner brother

14. Quote Originally Posted by ECC View Post
    Are you going to fast daily?

I've used IF for a little less than a year. Both off season and pre contest.

I've never considered it much of a tool for fat-loss. I don't let the window of fasting effect my intake for the day. If I'm eating 3,200 kcal's and fasting 16hrs, it's no different then spreading that 3,200 kcal's out over a longer period.

Digestion, blood glucose maintenance, and a trying to lower systemic inflammation is what I'm using it for. I add in one or two 14-16 hr fasts weekly.
    Biggest issue I could see with someone using it daily (for growth) would be your ability to consume enough calories in that window. For me...3,200 calories in 8-10hr ain't happening! Lol not through turkey and white rice anyway.

It has worked really well for me in controlling my blood glucose....inflammation --I can't really tell...and digestion--nothing noticeable.

For me it's worth it for just the BG maintenance. It's important to me how well I'm partitioning my food. I check my BG a few times a week.
    In answer to your question I'm going to fast every day 8/16. This is mainly to cut before my next cycle. I'm not expecting massive gains in the muscle department whilst doing this, I just wanted to know if gains were possible doing this, albeit slow gains, and more importantly no catabolism?

15. In respect of catabolism, what time of the day do you train?

16. Quote Originally Posted by Vikingbro View Post
    In answer to your question I'm going to fast every day 8/16. This is mainly to cut before my next cycle. I'm not expecting massive gains in the muscle department whilst doing this, I just wanted to know if gains were possible doing this, albeit slow gains, and more importantly no catabolism?
    Look into AMPK (I'm not that smart). It's an enzyme that will give us most of the benefits from
    Fasting. AMPK will inhibit MPS which is where some confusion might come from but lean tissue catabolism takes a lot... I don't think fasting 16hr is going to cause any substantial loss in muscle given adequate protein consumption during the 8hrs.

I think it's a lot harder to lose muscle than we think it is. Our body has ways of auto regulating. There's energy systems in place that'll help prevent muscle catabolism in that short of a time frame.

17. Quote Originally Posted by mickc1965 View Post
    In respect of catabolism, what time of the day do you train?
    So this is my daily plan. I eat daily between 11am and 7pm. I work 4 days on, 4 days off and use the gym at work. On my work days I do cardio fasted in the morning and eat first meal followed by weightlifting at 4ish. Quick protein shake afterwards then a meal before 7. On non work days I don't do cardio but lift weights in the morning followed by protein shake then lunch and dinner. So essentially I'm eating 2 meals a day.

18. Quote Originally Posted by ECC View Post
    Look into AMPK (I'm not that smart). It's an enzyme that will give us most of the benefits from
    Fasting. AMPK will inhibit MPS which is where some confusion might come from but lean tissue catabolism takes a lot... I don't think fasting 16hr is going to cause any substantial loss in muscle given adequate protein consumption during the 8hrs.

I think it's a lot harder to lose muscle than we think it is. Our body has ways of auto regulating. There's energy systems in place that'll help prevent muscle catabolism in that short of a time frame.
    Thanks for your answer. Do you think this applies if I do fasted cardio in the morning too?

19. Quote Originally Posted by Vikingbro View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Do you think this applies if I do fasted cardio in the morning too?
    Yes! If you're going to fast get the benefit of fasted cardio (remember no amino! They'll break the fast). Just make sure you hit your protein requirements and you'll be good to go
  20. Intermittent fasting?

Aminos dont break the fast. Martin Burkheim (spelling might be off), the creator of Lean Gains IF which is the main fasting protocol people uae, specifically states that anything under 50 cals can be consumed without any significant effect on the fasted state. Eg: bcaas pre workout, bcaas post workout before your feeding window starts, a splash of milk in your coffee, etc. I know leucine is insulinogenic, but the spike will be so transient it really should have a negligible effect on the fasted state. I dont know if the site is still up, but the leangains.com site used to be an awesome resource of information for the leangains fasting protocol.
    Training log:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/267913-jswains-training-log.html

21. Technically it does break the fast but the benefit of BCAAs around AM training vastly outweighs any negative impact it has

22. I think it all depends on what constitutes breaking the fast. I just don't see any reason why someone would take it 50 calories worth of aminos.... it's a waste. No ones losing muscle that fast
  23. Intermittent fasting?

Did I say "drink 50 calories worth of aminos"? Or did I say the creator of Lean Gains IF protocol, which is the 16/8 protocol 90% of people think of when they hear the term "IF" has said that anything less than 50 calories (within reason, see the examples I already listed in my last post. Obviously you dont want to eat an apple with 12 grams of carbs, etc) has a negligible effect on the fasted state? If you have BCAAs, workout, and drink 5-10g of bcaas hourly until you break the fast with whole foods or a shake, you are still considered to be in the "fasted state" (for the lean gains 16/8 protocol) until that first whole food meal. Yes, technically, the intake of calories breaks the fasted state, but as I already mentioned the calories from bcaas are minimal and insulin spike from leucine will be so short lived that, in the LG 16/8 protocol, you are still considered to be within your fasted window.
    Training log:

24. Quote Originally Posted by jswain34 View Post
    Did I say "drink 50 calories worth of aminos"? Or did I say the creator of Lean Gains IF protocol, which is the 16/8 protocol 90% of people think of when they hear the term "IF" has said that anything less than 50 calories (within reason, see the examples I already listed in my last post. Obviously you dont want to eat an apple with 12 grams of carbs, etc) has a negligible effect on the fasted state? If you have BCAAs, workout, and drink 5-10g of bcaas hourly until you break the fast with whole foods or a shake, you are still considered to be in the "fasted state" (for the lean gains 16/8 protocol) until that first whole food meal. Yes, technically, the intake of calories breaks the fasted state, but as I already mentioned the calories from bcaas are minimal and insulin spike from leucine will be so short lived that, in the LG 16/8 protocol, you are still considered to be within your fasted window.
    Lol did I say you're wrong or did I say
    "I think it comes down to what constitutes "breaking a fast" for any one person"
    On AM people might think of some LG protocol. Real world lol not even close to what most would think of.

25. Quote Originally Posted by ECC View Post
    Lol did I say you're wrong or did I say
    "I think it comes down to what constitutes "breaking a fast" for any one person"
    On AM people might think of some LG protocol. Real world lol not even close to what most would think of.
    You are correct, you didnt. I just assumed thats what you were saying since you used the same "50 calories" and talked about taking bcaas which you recommended against earlier. I didnt see where else you would associate those two things aside from my post, but thats my bad for assuming.

Considering LG 16/8 is what popularized the entire IF diet strategy, I think you are incorrect in saying that the majority of people dont think of 16/8 fasting (which is the bases of the LG protocol) when they hear the term "IF". But theres no sense in debating that nor does it really help the OP lol.
    Training log:

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 11:31 PM
  2. Experiences with Intermittent Fasting
    By adnscmplx in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 01:27 AM
  3. intermittent fasting
    By Shavani in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM