SSRI's and Gyno

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Quick question guys. Does anyone know whether SSRI induced gyno is the result of increased serotonin or is it due to the chemical makeup or metabolites of the drug itself?? I've been off and on SSRI's since 2004, but have recently come off them altogether. I started taking 5-HTP which seems to be a more natural feeling alternative to the drugs. I have always battled with mild gyno symptoms and believe its because of the SSRI's. Since being off Zoloft now, the puffy nipples seem to be less common now then they were. Any ideas??

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
gyro is caused by sex hormones, not serotonin or dopamine. ssri won't cause gyro unless its causing your estrogen levels to rise which I highly doubt

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
gyro is caused by sex hormones, not serotonin or dopamine. ssri won't cause gyro unless its causing your estrogen levels to rise which I highly doubt
You really should just not post, if you have no clue what you are talking about.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Zoloft is an SSRI, but can act as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor as well. It's more than likely the effect Zoloft has on dopamine transmission and the effect that all has on prolactin. If the 5-HTP is enough to get you by, I would just stick with that.