Whey isolate

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Okay... so what arguments are there for and against obtaining almost all of your daily protein requirements from whey isolate (possibly alongside a vegan protein blend)?

Aside from for protein I intend to eat a balanced diet with plenty of veg and to supplement with coconut oil, multivitamins and iron

Last edited:
Fat2fit2017

Fat2fit2017

Awards
The only problem is the relatively fast assimilation of a liquid protein, especially an isolate. It it were me, is at least incorporate a suspended release with casien included.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Depends what your reasons are. Why do you want to do this?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay... so what arguments are there for and against obtaining almost all of your daily protein requirements from whey isolate?

Aside from for protein I intend to eat a balanced diet with plenty of veg and to supplement with coconut oil, multivitamins and iron
1. It is not filling. Eating whole foods will provide you with more satiety.
2. Lack of vitamins and minerals.
3. Lack of certain amino acids. Different sources of protein have a different breakdown.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Depends what your reasons are. Why do you want to do this?
There's a chance I'll become a vegetarian in the future and the low bioavailability and incompleteness of plant proteins bother me as they're inefficient for human protein synthesis

Vegan protein powder blends are a possible other source but they're digested almost as quickly as whey isolate. I might consume the two together or intermittently though

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1. It is not filling. Eating whole foods will provide you with more satiety.
2. Lack of vitamins and minerals.
3. Lack of certain amino acids. Different sources of protein have a different breakdown.
Replies
1. Noted. I might try it for a bit to see how I fare
2. I'd be eating as a vegetarian would and would supplement with a multivit and greens powder, so surely I'd be alright?
3. Whey is a complete protein and the most bio available Would that not mean I'd have my essential amino acids covered better than if I were to be getting my protein from meats?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
There's a chance I'll become a vegetarian in the future and the low bioavailability and incompleteness of plant proteins bother me as they're inefficient for human protein synthesis

Vegan protein powder blends are a possible other source but they're digested almost as quickly as whey isolate. I might consume the two together or intermittently though
Well If you decide to go vegetarian and not vegan I would suggest adding casein protein like someone mentioned above. The combination of fast and slow digesting proteins has been shown to be superior to just whey for anabolism and preventing muscle loss. Also I believe you can still eat eggs? Though I suppose that can go either way with someone classified as vegetarian.

I’d say if you have a varied diet in your other food choices and consume whey and casein, you should be good to go long term.
I wouldn’t waste your money on pea or other vegetable or rice proteins. They are expensive and taste like s***.

Also whey concentrate may have more fat but also has more healthy components that can boost your immune system. Isolate doesn’t have the same immunoglobulins due to the processing.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Whey isolate (and even concentrate) digests way too fast and spikes your insulin.

Just recently I switched from mainly whey isolate to mainly meat/fish/eggs/milk and the difference in my body is huge.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Whey isolate (and even concentrate) digests way too fast and spikes your insulin.

Just recently I switched from mainly whey isolate to mainly meat/fish/eggs/milk and the difference in my body is huge.
What differences have you noticed?
Leaning out faster?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Okay... so what arguments are there for and against obtaining almost all of your daily protein requirements from whey isolate (possibly alongside a vegan protein blend)?

Agreed with others that whey isolate digests too quickly to make it the only protein source you're consuming. I know eggs are an animal product, but would this be something you'd consider adding or keeping in your diet? Eggs/egg whites are a great complete protein source. And although whey isolate is an "isolated" source, it's still sourced from milk. I would look to add in other slower digestion proteins like casein and egg protein

Fat2fit2017

Fat2fit2017

Awards
Agreed with others that whey isolate digests too quickly to make it the only protein source you're consuming. I know eggs are an animal product, but would this be something you'd consider adding or keeping in your diet? Eggs/egg whites are a great complete protein source. And although whey isolate is an "isolated" source, it's still sourced from milk. I would look to add in other slower digestion proteins like casein and egg protein
Would an egg white supplement suffice as well?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
In general vegetarians eat animal byproducts like milk and its food derivatives (whey, yogurt, etc) and eggs. Vegans don’t eat any animal byproduct, though. I’m assuming he is not thinking vegan, because like you said technically he shouldn’t have whey either if that was the case. In addition I know some “vegetarians” that will consume fish on occasion.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Egg whites are great if you don’t get tired of them. If you want an all in one protein product, there are many blends that have whey, casein, and egg proteins together. Syntha6 comes to mind.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Pro Jym is a supp that has whey, casein and egg, pretty complete imo. Select protein is a blend of whey and casein also. Those are definitely better than concentrate or isolate alone, too bad I can't take em cause I'm lactose intolerant so I just stick with real food and (nowadays more rarely) isolate/hydrolizate.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
It would be helpful, yes, but I would opt for whole foods over an egg white powder/supplement. Eating real eggs/egg whites will help with satiety too

In general vegetarians eat animal byproducts like milk and its food derivatives (whey, yogurt, etc) and eggs. Vegans don’t eat any animal byproduct, though. I’m assuming he is not thinking vegan, because like you said technically he shouldn’t have whey either if that was the case. In addition I know some “vegetarians” that will consume fish on occasion.
I always get confused with the line between vegetarian and vegan haha. I'm never too sure where the line is, so thank you for clarifying. In that case, casein powder and eggs/egg whites would be great additions for some slower digesting options. OP have you considered fish at all?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can do it with Most of your meals from whey protein if its your only option. For example say you are booked for the day working and that's all your schedule permits.

Ideal? NO but from time to time Its better than getting no protein in obviously

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I currently eat a lot of fish but if I were to become vegetarian I'd stop eating all meats including fish.
I'm happy to consider egg white protein but given it's sodium content I'd rather not get more than half of my daily protein from it.
I might use it in conjunction with a vegan blend tho

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I currently eat a lot of fish but if I were to become vegetarian I'd stop eating all meats including fish.
I'm happy to consider egg white protein but given it's sodium content I'd rather not get more than half of my daily protein from it.
I might use it in conjunction with a vegan blend tho
How much sodium is in it? Unless you have high blood pressure, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're drinking enough water.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
How much sodium is in it? Unless you have high blood pressure, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you're drinking enough water.
Yeah the funny thing about the national sodium reduction recommendations... they are based solely on the ~20% of the population that is salt sensitive and hence gets a slight bump in their BP. But that being said the majority of people process sodium just fine but the recommendation is still made because it isn’t harmful to this population. So if you have no blood pressure issues, or no differences with salt reduction if you do, then you can completely disregard how much you get in your diet.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the funny thing about the national sodium reduction recommendations... they are based solely on the ~20% of the population that is salt sensitive and hence gets a slight bump in their BP. But that being said the majority of people process sodium just fine but the recommendation is still made because it isn’t harmful to this population. So if you have no blood pressure issues, or no differences with salt reduction if you do, then you can completely disregard how much you get in your diet.
Exactly. If anything, if the product does have a bunch of sodium, it could aid in pumps, which might be diminished given the initial protocol the OP is following.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
55% of your rda per 100g protein
In egg whites

I'd remembered it as being double that , hence why I said I didn't want to get more than half of my 200g protein daily intake from egg whites

ECC

ECC

Awards
Why are you deciding to from fish and anything else you're currently eating to just whey?

Track. Track everything you're consuming, and be mindful not to be overly obsessed with the protein source but rather your total number. Obviously you'll be getting plenty of different proteins from the typical legumes, beans, nuts, sprouted grain bread, quinoa, peas, etc. then you can fill in the blanks with a supp. I would use a whey concentrate tho. It might have more health benefit, and as a veggie you could mix some powder into pasteurized egg whites, even add some spirulina as another variation of protein

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those that said whey breaks down too quickly and leads to a high insulinogenic response...

That is true ... in a vacuum.

Tips to overcome this unwanted side of straight whey isolate throughout the day

Add healthy oils to your shakes (makes it tastes better anyway). Will slow it down (lower glycemic load).

Eat your veggies first (or at the very least, simultaneously) to blunt insulin response.

***Fiber too. Metamucil works.

Add insulin mimetics pre-shake. Even slamming ACV before your shake should help.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If ur whole food is void of any significant protein id recommend a blend protein

But if u decide to still eat protein throughout the day and supplement with a powder...id go isolate all the way