took 3 weeks off... ate garbage food... looked ripped and hard.

puffybegone

Awards
took 3 weeks off... ate garbage food... looked ripped and hard could see cheek bones for the first time in a long time.

Returned to gym this week had 2 sessions so far.... also back to calorie counting aswell eating clean .... so far looking bloated/fat/moon faced as f uck.

Maybe some people just aint built for it ? I can workout and look like **** ..... or eat like **** cut out exercise and look general healthier.

I'm not the only person to notice this... when I was about 2 weeks into my idgaf holiday of no exercise and eating junk like pizza/mcdonalds.
My friends and family all remarked on I had lost fat and I noticed my face no longer was looking as round and moon shaped.

Something about working out really does a number on my body.... I get so bloated looking you'd think I was eating the **** I was on the IDGAF holiday and not clean and counting calories... s o ****ing frustrating ideas ?

APC80

APC80

Awards
Just don't work out then. Laze around, eat **** all day and look great ya lucky b*stard.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
took 3 weeks off... ate garbage food... looked ripped and hard could see cheek bones for the first time in a long time.
Were you eating less than normal? Consuming alcohol?

Returned to gym this week had 2 sessions so far.... also back to calorie counting aswell eating clean .... so far looking bloated/fat/moon faced as f uck.
What are you eating on your clean diet and what is the caloric intake?

puffybegone

Awards
Were you eating less than normal? Consuming alcohol?

What are you eating on your clean diet and what is the caloric intake?
No I imagine I was eating way way more than I am right now.... instead of eating 3000 cals a day, I was eating for example full dairy milk chocolate bars 2 a day.... full size dominoes pizzas with dips.... mcdonalds for breakfast..... full big bags of doritos....and loads of other sugary processed crap all in one day... musta been easily 5000 cals. maybe my body had been crying out for those extra calories for so long when they got them... I could recover properly... no idea.

Now i'm back to eating lean meats and veg with potatoes, protein shakes and fruit... always hitting around 3000 cals and looking like crap... another thing I notice aswell as the extreme bloating is an itching/tingling in my nipples post workout... like they itch like crazy an itch that can't be scratched.... ive been thinking it's cortisol/estrogen gone mad after a session but I've tried taking vit c and eating estrogen reducing foods like broccoli/cauliflower to no joy.

I guarantee if I stop lifting for a few days I will debloat and lean out but all it takes is one session back at the gym and I blow up like staypuft marshmallow man.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Cortisol maybe? The tingling nips sounds like estrogen tho. You could try arimistane see if that helps.

solidsnake

solidsnake

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha this has got to be a troll job , the only person I've heard this happening to had an extremely rare condition

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Could all be in your head man. For example if I'm not tan I see a completely different person in the mirror and my brain tells me I look like garbage. Of course that's not the case. Same thing happens when I stop using a supplement I felt was really working. I see a different person in the mirror. No amount of bodybuilding will fix your insecurities. That's what I've learned. Learning to love who you are takes a different kind of work. If this isn't what's going on with you and you truly are experiencing this then well...dude that's really odd and maybe you should go to a doctor because that just doesn't make any damn sense

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@OP I've had the same suspicions at times.
Tbh I think it's down to high estrogen&cortisol and toxin buildup post workout made worse by the phytoestrogens in a lot of (particularly fibrous) 'clean' foods.
Additionally, a surplus of calories decreases cortisol, a large saturated fat intake boosts testosterone which affects the test:estrogen balance, and a large carb intake boosts serotonin which further reduces cortisol.
Junk food typically contains comparatively little phytoestrogens and so excess estrogen wouldn't be exacerbated by that.
Sugar also allegedly boosts thyroid function which is boost for test, water balance and detoxification. At the same time cruciferous veg, when consumed in excess, induces hypothyroidism which would have the opposite effect

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Cortisol maybe? The tingling nips sounds like estrogen tho. You could try arimistane see if that helps.
Arimistane will not do anything for estrogen sides, possibly won't even do anything for cortisol.

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
No I imagine I was eating way way more than I am right now.... instead of eating 3000 cals a day, I was eating for example full dairy milk chocolate bars 2 a day.... full size dominoes pizzas with dips.... mcdonalds for breakfast..... full big bags of doritos....and loads of other sugary processed crap all in one day... musta been easily 5000 cals. maybe my body had been crying out for those extra calories for so long when they got them... I could recover properly... no idea.

Now i'm back to eating lean meats and veg with potatoes, protein shakes and fruit... always hitting around 3000 cals and looking like crap... another thing I notice aswell as the extreme bloating is an itching/tingling in my nipples post workout... like they itch like crazy an itch that can't be scratched.... ive been thinking it's cortisol/estrogen gone mad after a session but I've tried taking vit c and eating estrogen reducing foods like broccoli/cauliflower to no joy.

I guarantee if I stop lifting for a few days I will debloat and lean out but all it takes is one session back at the gym and I blow up like staypuft marshmallow man.
Have you recently come off a gear or ph cycle?

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe you're an alien.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
I also notice that if I take some time off, my abs look ripped af and I'm leaner in general, but that's just because I'm eating less

puffybegone

Awards
I have long suspected it's cortisol, because I have something called a prolactinoma and was on hydrocorstisone to treat insufficient adrenals, however I have been off the hydrocortisone for a long time as my adrenals are fully functioning now, but always had a sneaky suspicion I may not be either producing enough to deal with my workouts or they over produce now.... I have a lot of symptoms that add up... water retention, unable to sleep, weak erections, tired but wired.... that all come on after working out... if I stop working out a few days all these things start to subside. I will look into that armistane stuff cheers

puffybegone

Awards
Have you recently come off a gear or ph cycle?
No I've never touched anything but protein shakes, i'd be too scared to with my hormonal problems that I wrote about in my previous reply.

PS; mon the hoops :D

puffybegone

Awards
@OP I've had the same suspicions at times.
Tbh I think it's down to high estrogen&cortisol and toxin buildup post workout made worse by the phytoestrogens in a lot of (particularly fibrous) 'clean' foods.
Additionally, a surplus of calories decreases cortisol, a large saturated fat intake boosts testosterone which affects the test:estrogen balance, and a large carb intake boosts serotonin which further reduces cortisol.
Junk food typically contains comparatively little phytoestrogens and so excess estrogen wouldn't be exacerbated by that.
Sugar also allegedly boosts thyroid function which is boost for test, water balance and detoxification. At the same time cruciferous veg, when consumed in excess, induces hypothyroidism which would have the opposite effect
That is me in a nutshell!!! if I eat clean and lift it makes me bloated, unable to sleep properly... or up all night pissing.... weak erections... tired but wired.. I look like s hit man flu like symptoms etc.... but if I dirty bulk I have no issues... the more trashy the food the better I feel but only eating at maintenance or a surplus.. if I'm cutting it is better than eating clean but my body needs those extra cals to lower cortisol as you have pointed out any tips for me apart from forever bulking would love to finally rid myself of this belly and hips!.

APC80

APC80

Awards
No I've never touched anything but protein shakes, i'd be too scared to with my hormonal problems that I wrote about in my previous reply.

PS; mon the hoops :D
Aww no you're a septic fan as well. Bet your cortisol levels went thru the roof watching the Astana match lol

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Aww no you're a septic fan as well. Bet your cortisol levels went thru the roof watching the Astana match lol
Now now there's no need to say septic when you know you know you really meant invincibles, agent Pedro must stay and maybe he will make some progres!!! ????

APC80

APC80

Awards
Now now there's no need to say septic when you know you know you really meant invincibles, agent Pedro must stay and maybe he will make some progres!!!
Weren't too invincible against St Johnstone on sat, bit lucky to even get a point in the end. Don't worry we'll be back in business soon enough and you'll not be guaranteed to walk the league every year.

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Weren't too invincible against St Johnstone on sat, bit lucky to even get a point in the end. Don't worry we'll be back in business soon enough and you'll not be guaranteed to walk the league every year.
I think you'll find the true meaning of invincible = unbeatable which we were on Saturday.
Servco = Skint!

APC80

APC80

Awards
I think you'll find the true meaning of invincible = unbeatable which we were on Saturday.
Servco = Skint!
We'll be back at the top very soon mate, going for 55

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think we underestimate the importance of rest and recovery and downplay the feel good factor of eating not so healthy foods. If you think about it, we punish our bodies in the gym but we also punish it (so to speak) by restricting what we eat and how much we eat. No matter how much we try to convince ourselves, sub consciously we are depressed and stressed out from the deliberate restrictions and high demands placed through training.

Once you break that lock and free yourself from those restrictions, your body rebounds with positive feelings and physiological responses. But you can't do it forever because you may abuse it to the point where you start to hurt your gains.

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
I've got to say it may sound stupid to some, but I feel the exact same way as OP. When I take time off from the gym and diet, I look more cut, been this way for years.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is me in a nutshell!!! if I eat clean and lift it makes me bloated, unable to sleep properly... or up all night pissing.... weak erections... tired but wired.. I look like s hit man flu like symptoms etc.... but if I dirty bulk I have no issues... the more trashy the food the better I feel but only eating at maintenance or a surplus.. if I'm cutting it is better than eating clean but my body needs those extra cals to lower cortisol as you have pointed out any tips for me apart from forever bulking would love to finally rid myself of this belly and hips!.
Poor sleep can suggest that you would benefit from upping carbs particularly 3-5 hours before bed as it boosts serotonin and hence melatonin, taking tryptophan before bed, or a zzzs supplement. The poor erections can be sign that you'd benefit from upping fats (no wonder eating dirty seems to work lol), particularly saturated ones, a zma, and destressing.
Estrogen and cortisol supplements have a mixed rep but personally I sometimes take an erase e to dry out for something. So to not mess with my hormones too much I only take them sparsely when 'needed'. Note tho, allegedly whilst on them your sex drive and libido may be a little suppressed. In the grand scheme of things it's not bad compared to the suppression caused by other things
Hope his helps

puffybegone

Awards
Poor sleep can suggest that you would benefit from upping carbs particularly 3-5 hours before bed as it boosts serotonin and hence melatonin, taking tryptophan before bed, or a zzzs supplement. The poor erections can be sign that you'd benefit from upping fats (no wonder eating dirty seems to work lol), particularly saturated ones, a zma, and destressing.
Estrogen and cortisol supplements have a mixed rep but personally I sometimes take an erase e to dry out for something. So to not mess with my hormones too much I only take them sparsely when 'needed'. Note tho, allegedly whilst on them your sex drive and libido may be a little suppressed. In the grand scheme of things it's not bad compared to the suppression caused by other things
Hope his helps
A big indicator something is off to me is the three main following things happen...

I usually workout about 7 at night....i do admit to training very hard when im in the gym i always leave sweating and probably do a lot of sets...

When i get back home from the gym i look great lean...healthy... no water retention or puffy nipple as i've sweat it out i guess......

I'll make my protein shake with banana and my dinner usually something like wholegrain pasta,veg,chicken breasts with a little chili sauce for flavour......

Then as the night goes on before bed i will start to bloat up all over no definition at all .....if my gf is staying i will not be able to get an erection and my left nipple will begin to blow up... the pressure behind my left nipple when it's puffy is like that of a water balloon at full capacity.......

Then go to bed and if i get a good sleep i guarantee i will still be up during the night at least 3 times pissing.......

When i wake the bloating...puffy nipple.... and erection issue will begin to improve... not back to normal but not as bad as the night before...

If i continued to stay clear of the gym all these issues will have returned to normal by the 4/5th night off.........

But as i go to the gym every second night my body never gets the chance to return to normal unless i take a week or two off for a holiday like i mentioned in my OP

I've tried also taking my vits after lifting to help keep the cortisol/estrogen imbalance post workout..... 1500mg of vit c with zinc and omega fish oil.

APC80

APC80

Awards
Could it be an allergic reaction? Do you drink protein shakes when you don't train?

puffybegone

Awards
Could it be an allergic reaction? Do you drink protein shakes when you don't train?
Not routinely i will have one some days, but even the days weeks i don't touch them.... waiting for my next order i still get the same issues.

The more and more i think about it i'm convinced it Cortisol related leading to high estrogen, or possibly adrenal fatigue as when i was first diagnosed with the prolactinoma years ago.... one of my symptoms was adrenal insufficiency and was put on hydrocortisone to kick start my own adrenal function... however i have been on off the hydrocortisone for a few years as i was told my adrenals were fully functioning,..... but maybe they are only fully functional when i'm not putting the heavy stress of weightlifting on them

Another reason i think it might be adrenal is in the last few weeks i have taken up coffee drinking and have found it seems to make me feel a lot better before and after the gym.... the bloating decreases after a few cups as does the puffy nipple and i feel a lot better on it, i would prefer to find another alternative as i know too much caffeine must be doing a number on my body long term.... but for now downing a few coffee's seems to reduce the bloating and puffy nipple... and that's without even urinating... so it's not like im just releasing all the excess water it must shift it or something .

Also i don't know if this is any help.... the days im lifting( not including the pump in the gym/and for an hour after) my muscles are very for a better word soft and not very firm...... i constantly look fat n soft until i take a few days off and binge on crap... and not at a surplus i still stick to the cut i just eat trash and seem to lean out and muscles firm up

i'll just keep trying different things it's just frustrating as the amount of time i spend in the gym and how strictly i eat doesn't show on the surface... i constantly battle with this severe bloating and sensitive nipples situation... double chin one day.... chiselled the next... etc.

APC80

APC80

Awards
It's a strange one mate definitely something's off in your body. Wouldn't worry about a few cups of coffee a day it's when it goes over that to 5,6 or 7 you can run into issues. If you're scared of becoming an addicted to caffeine just take a day or two off it every now and again but can't see a couple of coffees a day being a problem.

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
Try not taking protein shakes. Or find a vegan protein. I notice too whey protein bloats me.