Ketogenic?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Why does everyone thing 'true keto' is low as fk protein??? It doesn't have to be. To be in ketosis you need to be low carb, less than 30g net specifically unless fat adapted for a very long time. Stop researching ketosis for medical issues (epilepsy, obese obese people) unless you are indeed treating one and research nutritional ketosis (proper protein).

Especially when cutting, why consume excess fat when you want to burn the own fat on your body?

Eat 0.8-1g per LBM, enough fat to keep energy levels up and create the rest of your calories, and then keep carbs below 30net. It's super simple and doesn't have to be low protein.

Fat is a lever when it comes to ketosis. To lose weigh you lower the fat macro, to gain weight you raise the fat macro (and potentially protein to 1.2-1.5g per LBM). I can almost garunteed results will be better with adequate instead of low protein.

Reaching higher ketone readings does also not mean more fat loss. In fact, the higher the ketone readings, typically means you are consuming too much fat and not using up the fat on your body. You'll end up peeing more out rather than using for energy (in turn, peeing out dietary fat instead of burning body fat)..

Just some food for thought.
    Current Workout Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/296714-mr-supps-keto.html
    •   

2. Quote Originally Posted by Wimsicle View Post
    Why does everyone thing 'true keto' is low as fk protein??? It doesn't have to be. To be in ketosis you need to be low carb, less than 30g net specifically unless fat adapted for a very long time. Stop researching ketosis for medical issues (epilepsy, obese obese people) unless you are indeed treating one and research nutritional ketosis (proper protein).

Especially when cutting, why consume excess fat when you want to burn the own fat on your body?

Eat 0.8-1g per LBM, enough fat to keep energy levels up and create the rest of your calories, and then keep carbs below 30net. It's super simple and doesn't have to be low protein.

Fat is a lever when it comes to ketosis. To lose weigh you lower the fat macro, to gain weight you raise the fat macro (and potentially protein to 1.2-1.5g per LBM). I can almost garunteed results will be better with adequate instead of low protein.

Reaching higher ketone readings does also not mean more fat loss. In fact, the higher the ketone readings, typically means you are consuming too much fat and not using up the fat on your body. You'll end up peeing more out rather than using for energy (in turn, peeing out dietary fat instead of burning body fat)..

Just some food for thought.
    The rationale the "experts" would quote is that large servings of protein will spike insulin and get you out of ketosis. They would also site that ketones are very "muscle sparing", so that eating an abundance of protein would still be just extra calories.

with that being said, I don't necessarily disagree with your statements. To me, low carb with high protein is going to still be very productive in fat loss. But technically the procedure you're referring to (and I also use) would be "modified atkins" versus Ketosis

The only thing I disagree with is keeping fat low. I've lost 20+lb this year eating about 100g of natural fats per day, and I've never felt better while on a "cut". I stay far fuller, and I'd be willing to bet my test levels are way higher.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Wedgylx View Post
    The rationale the "experts" would quote is that large servings of protein will spike insulin and get you out of ketosis. They would also site that ketones are very "muscle sparing", so that eating an abundance of protein would still be just extra calories.

with that being said, I don't necessarily disagree with your statements. To me, low carb with high protein is going to still be very productive in fat loss. But technically the procedure you're referring to (and I also use) would be "modified atkins" versus Ketosis

The only thing I disagree with is keeping fat low. I've lost 20+lb this year eating about 100g of natural fats per day, and I've never felt better while on a "cut". I stay far fuller, and I'd be willing to bet my test levels are way higher.
    I didn't say keep fat low, I but it shouldn't be 75% of your macros.

I ate 180g protein, 120g fat, 20g net carbs a day for over 6 months. Lost 40lb and never once fell out of ketosis, other than when I began a TKD, I'd fall out for less than an hour when I took 15-30g dextrose pwo.

I think it all depends who the 'experts' you listen too is.

Plus, gng doesn't happen whenever it wants to. It has a timeline in a sense, that eating protein doesn't speed up or slow down.

Im not advocating to eat low fat to do a PSMF. Being in ketosis is keto... And eating less than 30g net carbs, you'll be in ketosis. Lol
    Current Workout Log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/296714-mr-supps-keto.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by Wimsicle View Post
    I didn't say keep fat low, I but it shouldn't be 75% of your macros.

I ate 180g protein, 120g fat, 20g net carbs a day for over 6 months. Lost 40lb and never once fell out of ketosis, other than when I began a TKD, I'd fall out for less than an hour when I took 15-30g dextrose pwo.

I think it all depends who the 'experts' you listen too is.

Plus, gng doesn't happen whenever it wants to. It has a timeline in a sense, that eating protein doesn't speed up or slow down.

Im not advocating to eat low fat to do a PSMF. Being in ketosis is keto... And eating less than 30g net carbs, you'll be in ketosis. Lol
    Not saying I disagree, personally I don't run Keto any longer, just trying to answer why they say to keep the protein low
    •   

5. Sub'd

I've been doing just under 100g of carbs ed for the last few days. I had no idea it was part of a Keto diet. I have been dropping some weight tho....interesting

6. I love keto, although I've had similar success just running a low cab/high fat diet. I'm doing a high fat keto style diet right now with intermittent fasting. I tend to stay fuller longer on high fats and don't have the cravings.
  7. Ketogenic?

Wim and Wedge

Low protein is advisable on a true ketogenic diet b/c the body will use protein as glucose via gluconeogenesis; thereby keeping you out of ketosis (theoretically).

Ketosis (running on ketones) is the objective of a ketogenic diet of course. Well, the energy substrate required to make the ketogenic diet “work” is fat.

***Another requisite also mandates removing carbs and other glucose substrates (>10% protein) to allow the body to become fat-adapted; convert to a fat-burning machine.

A low carb diet and a ketogenic diet are worlds apart.

Both work for fat loss but are not the same.

Powerlifter Dr Dom D’Agostino; PhD of FSU has proven time and time again that a true ketogenic diet is anti-catabolic. Yes, even at 10% protein intake.

For optimal bb’ing, I think a modified low carb diet or strategically-timed diet is superior.

For overall health and disease prevention, a ketogenic diet is nothing short of amazing.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
  2. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet How to Guideline please
    By OmarJackson in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 12:07 AM
  3. Ketogenic diet converts
    By AldrichAStern in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13