Pick a food to try and make me fat

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
So I'm thinking of starting a YouTube series where people pick a food item that I have to eat 500+ calories of it daily for a week and then post about it. I hear a lot of people talking about "clean" eating but that's crap in my opinion. Food is food and if you balance your macros you'll still see the same results. So throw some foods at me and prove me wrong. The only criteria that I have is that the food has to be controllable as in I can measure it. Therefore all the food items have to be something that I can make and measure at home. I look forward to seeing what people throw at me for my first item.

Apsmith4992

Apsmith4992

Awards
  • Established
So I'm thinking of starting a YouTube series where people pick a food item that I have to eat 500+ calories of it daily for a week and then post about it. I hear a lot of people talking about "clean" eating but that's crap in my opinion. Food is food and if you balance your macros you'll still see the same results. So throw some foods at me and prove me wrong. The only criteria that I have is that the food has to be controllable as in I can measure it. Therefore all the food items have to be something that I can make and measure at home. I look forward to seeing what people throw at me for my first item.
Don't need to prove **** to me lol I'm with you... it's simple math

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can only imagine the suggestions you're gonna get

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Beer or Ben and jerrys ice cream like rich piana

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bet you can't do it with Celery, or Shiritaki noodles ?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dunkin Donuts dozen for breakfast, Burger King for lunch, and Popeyes for Dinner

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I could totally tear the fak out of some Popeye's chicken
Me too. I'm from South Louisiana. My daughter always says why cant we have KFC. And I say its not allowed in MY HOUSE. LOL

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
Dunkin Donuts dozen for breakfast, Burger King for lunch, and Popeyes for Dinner
It has to be measurable and none of that is. Maybe the donuts...the goal is to prove that it won't effect me....which it won't.... not actually get fat

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Waiting for something real gross like White Castle.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ok DD's for breakfast, BK for lunch, Popeyes for dinnee

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
500+ calories from apple seeds. Have fun with that. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

...Don't actually do that.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Me too. I'm from South Louisiana. My daughter always says why cant we have KFC. And I say its not allowed in MY HOUSE. LOL
I've been so grateful since it reached Canada KFC is like pigeon meat lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've been so grateful since it reached Canada KFC is like pigeon meat lol
KFC is such a joke. The only place to get real chicken is Popeyes, for fast food that is. Lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about 500 calories a day from Trinidad Scorpion Peppers? It should only be about 100 dried peppers or so.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I do a 2 peice dark and spicy, mashed taters, biscuit, and 3 jalapenos with a sweet tea.
That's something that's funny about Canada and US sweet tea is Iced tea in Canada lol the first time I didn't know this and I got unsweet tea and I was like wtf aha

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
Thanks for all the responses! Even the one about the apple seeds

So far it's between a week with doughnuts or a week of Ben and jerry's

tsmog

tsmog

Awards

Bro, do doughnuts and m&m's throughout the day. That will bring some views.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards

I think popeyes chicken is solid and enjoyable.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Frankly, I just don't see it proving anything that isn't extremely obvious, hence my response. Of course moderation is the key. But I don't even think your proposed methodology is ideal to "prove" anything. You're matching calories, likely just with a "dirtier" food for seven days; does anyone really think that consuming a somewhat "dirtier" food witch equal caloric content as a "cleaner" food for one week will lead to any significant or noticeable changes in body composition? If you want to really prove or demonstrate anything, do it for 8-12 weeks, or a year. You're not going to notice significant changes in body composition by making minor dietary changes in seven days; this entire premise seems to be perpetuating one myth while trying to disprove another. Is this just an excuse to eat more junk food and do it in the name of disproving myths?

Ursa Major

Awards
Just fry every thing you wanna eat then tell us your results

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're so convinced matching macros is the be all end all of diet/food intake, why only go with 500 calories? Why not go all in and replace the entirety of your diet with "dirty foods." Take your protein intake and match it with Whey protein (high protein, minimal carbs/fat). Then take your carb intake and match it with high fructose corn syrup, then take your fat intake and match it with soybean oil. Do that for a few months, as a week is too short of a time to "prove" any real changes in body composition, and then tell me that macros are the only thing that matters over any meaningful period of time.

Moderation is key. The end.

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
If you're so convinced matching macros is the be all end all of diet/food intake, why only go with 500 calories? Why not go all in and replace the entirety of your diet with "dirty foods." Take your protein intake and match it with Whey protein (high protein, minimal carbs/fat). Then take your carb intake and match it with high fructose corn syrup, then take your fat intake and match it with soybean oil. Do that for a few months, as a week is too short of a time to "prove" any real changes in body composition, and then tell me that macros are the only thing that matters.

I have to agree with you. I've done this myself and matching macro for macro it only slowed down my progress and made me feel like ****. What you eat does make a difference and does have an impact on your training and fitness goals.

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
Frankly, I just don't see it proving anything that isn't extremely obvious, hence my response. Of course moderation is the key. But I don't even think your proposed methodology is ideal to "prove" anything. You're matching calories, likely just with a "dirtier" food for seven days; does anyone really think that consuming a somewhat "dirtier" food witch equal caloric content as a "cleaner" food for one week will lead to any significant or noticeable changes in body composition? If you want to really prove or demonstrate anything, do it for 8-12 weeks, or a year. You're not going to notice significant changes in body composition by making minor dietary changes in seven days; this entire premise seems to be perpetuating one myth while trying to disprove another. Is this just an excuse to eat more junk food and do it in the name of disproving myths?
The idea is to switch the food every week with another dirty food not just 7 days and done

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to agree with you. I've done this myself and matching macro for macro it only slowed down my progress and made me feel like ****. What you eat does make a difference and does have an impact on your training and fitness goals.
Exactly. It's common sense; there is more to food than just calories. There's stuff like vitamins and minerals and other things that you probably want to be getting, and some other foods probably have some things you don't want to be infesting massive quantities of every day. Hence moderation; replacing a little of a healthy food with an unhealthy one isn't going to turn you into a fat blob with diabetes.

OP, that's why I mentioned the apple seeds, to show that the dose makes the poison. Having dirty food in moderation isn't going to have major adverse effects on your body composition, just like having a few apple seeds when you eat an apple isn't going to kill you. Now, when you take things to their most extreme, like saying a calorie is a calorie period regardless of how much of your diet is in question, you run into problems, just like you shouldn't eat 500 cal of apple seeds. It's the extreme, the abandoning of moderation in favor of overconsumption, that causes the issues.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The idea is to switch the food every week with another dirty food not just 7 days and done
Read my other post. Why stop at 500 calories if a calorie is a calorie period? Why not replace ALL of your food with the "dirtiest" foods possible, just matched for calories, protein, etc. If macros are all that maters, you shouldn't have a problem with this, right?

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
Exactly. It's common sense; there is more to food than just calories. There's stuff like vitamins and minerals and other things that you probably want to be getting, and some other foods probably have some things you don't want to be infesting massive quantities of every day. Hence moderation; replacing a little of a healthy food with an unhealthy one isn't going to turn you into a fat blob with diabetes.

OP, that's why I mentioned the apple seeds, to show that the dose makes the poison. Having dirty food in moderation isn't going to have major adverse effects on your body collision, just like having a few apple seeds when you eat an apple isn't going to kill you. Now, when you take things to their most extreme, like saying a calorie is a calorie period regardless of how much of your diet is in question, you run into problems, just like you shouldn't eat 500 cal or apple seeds. It's the extreme, the abandoning of moderation in favor of overconsumption, that causes the issues.
Great analogy, you said it best and are absolutely right.

Moderation is key.

Nonetheless OP if you still go through with it I would like to know your end result of the experiment.

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
If you're so convinced matching macros is the be all end all of diet/food intake, why only go with 500 calories? Why not go all in and replace the entirety of your diet with "dirty foods." Take your protein intake and match it with Whey protein (high protein, minimal carbs/fat). Then take your carb intake and match it with high fructose corn syrup, then take your fat intake and match it with soybean oil. Do that for a few months, as a week is too short of a time to "prove" any real changes in body composition, and then tell me that macros are the only thing that matters over any meaningful period of time.

That's just as ridiculous as suggesting I blend my protein powder up with some table sugar and some butter and putting it in a syringe and injecting it into my body.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great analogy, you said it best and are absolutely right.

Moderation is key.

Nonetheless OP if you still go through with it I would like to know your end result of the experiment.
I'd subscribe to it if he replaces all his food with the dirtiest food imaginable. Scrap my Whey idea for protein, go with only maximally processed meats exclusively for protein, only high fructose corn syrup for carbs, and only soybean oil for fats. Do this for a few months and see if you're singing a different tune. Of course, this is obviously a terrible idea, and quite unhealthy, so I wouldn't recommend doing it if you actually care about your body, but it will actually "prove" something if you're so confident that a calorie is always a calorie.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's just as ridiculous as suggesting I blend my protein powder up with some table sugar and some butter and putting it in a syringe and injecting it into my body.
You're the one who said that balancing macros is all that matters. Are you admitting that this only works to an extent, or in MODERATION, which would imply that solely "balancing macros" is not the be all end all? Does that really need to be "proven."

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
I'd subscribe to it if he replaces all his food with the dirtiest food imaginable. Scrap my Whey idea for protein, go with only maximally processed meats exclusively for protein, only high fructose corn syrup for carbs, and only soybean oil for fats. Do this for a few months and see if you're singing a different tune. Of course, this is obviously a terrible idea, and quite unhealthy, so I wouldn't recommend doing it if you actually care about your body, but it will actually "prove" something if you're so confident that a calorie is always a calorie.
And what do you suggest I do for fiber and vitamins?

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
After just a week I'm sure there would be
noticeable changes in body composition and performance. That's taking some serious health risks though. I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And what do you suggest I do for fiber and vitamins?
Nothing. I'm not the one who said that there won't be any changes if you match the macros. Your entire premise only works in moderation, obviously.

Actually, take a multi-vitamin of your choice and some fiber powder if you insist, but keep the actual diet solely processed meat, HFCS, and soy oil for a month and tell me how you feel.

As you know by now, I would strongly advise against actually doing this, but if you're so adamant on macros being the entire picture period, this shouldn't be a problem, and should actually save you a good bit of money on groceries and time on cooking.

Maybe you'll revolutionize the food/diet/health/fitness industry and save people a ton of money.

Nickespo89

Nickespo89

Awards
  • Established
Read my other post. Why stop at 500 calories if a calorie is a calorie period? Why not replace ALL of your food with the "dirtiest" foods possible, just matched for calories, protein, etc. If macros are all that maters, you shouldn't have a problem with this, right?
It still works to reach the goal as far as physique goes...however your lipid health and overall wellbeing can both suffer. Your lipids due to over consumption of sodium and saturated fats. And well being due to not getting vitamins and minerals you may need. Personally attest to both methods working well for me personally on an aesthetic Level

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It still works to reach the goal as far as physique goes...however your lipid health and overall wellbeing can both suffer. Your lipids due to over consumption of sodium and saturated fats. And well being due to not getting vitamins and minerals you may need. Personally attest to both methods working well for me personally on an aesthetic Level
How long is your "physique" going to be sustainable for if so many other vital bodily functions are crapping out on you? How will your immune system handle any challenges, especially if you're training hard? Etc. If it's only for a short period of time, it is still moderation of sorts, just a different variety of moderation; think of a cheat meal relatively often vs a cheat day less often. Both only make up a small portion of the whole over a significant period of time.

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
Well with all being said I think I got what I needed. I'm going to go with the 500 calories of Ben and Jerry's ice cream every night. The video will be uploaded a week from today and then the food item will be changed.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well with all being said I think I got what I needed. I'm going to go with the 500 calories of Ben and Jerry's ice cream every night. The video will be uploaded a week from today and then the food item will be changed.
Good luck man. I know I came off as harsh, but it just wanted to make known that your statements have logical limits, and that your experiment will not prove otherwise. I caution you from eating "junk" food in moderation and then extrapolating that to mean that "macros are all that matters period," and especially caution you not to spread that message to others in your videos. If you are trying to show that moderate consumption of junk food within the context of a balanced and calorie controlled/matched diet is fine, then go for it. If it helps someone realize they don't have to eat chicken breast, coconut oil, and spinach every single meal then you did well, but you don't want to lead people to believe they they can replace all their carbs from sweet potatoes and oats with soda and gummy bears and expect nothing to chance over time.

stlcards14

stlcards14

Awards
If you are trying to show that moderate consumption of junk food within the context of a balanced and calorie controlled/matched diet is fine, then go for it. If it helps someone realize they don't have to eat chicken breast, coconut oil, and spinach every single meal then you did well
That is the whole goal right there

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is the whole goal right there
Great! Then I'd suggest changing the wording from your original post for your video(s) that said "Food is food and if you balance your macros you'll still see the same results." If that was the entire picture, my absurd premise would hold true, which it clearly doesn't. I'd suggest making it clear that moderation is the key, that even "junk" food can be incorporated into a diet without negatively impacting body composition, but that you can't just replace 2000 calories of "good whole foods" with 2000 calories of soda and ice cream and say they'll be the same over time since the macros balance.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IIFYM - If it fits your macros. I'm on their mailing list.

https://www.iifym.com

This conversation has made me think about JAWS for some reason.
You talking about porkers?
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/bcfadaf5-55c8-434a-9eda-430f5f44101c
Yeah, IIFYM makes a great deal of sense to a point, and moderation does allow you to still eat "dirty" foods in your diet and still make progress, but even IIFYM has obvious limits, or my proposed diet of hot dogs, HFCS, and soybean oil would get two thumbs up, assuming you match it to your target macros.