Food timing

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys

Just a quick question

I normally workout either in the morning or at night, depending on what my work week looks like. When i go in the mornings, i'll get up at 5, have 30g whey/isolate, teaspoon of peanut butter and a banana or two, dependent of how hungry i feel or what i'm training. Then I'll start my workout at around 6. post workout i'll do 60g whey, 30g gaspari glycofuse and then an hour later i'll have a meal with about 40g protein and 40g carbs. If i workout at night, it's basically the same routine, it's just then i end up having dinner around 8:30 or 9. Is this too much calories in such a small time frame? I'm asking because i've been following this for a few weeks and my weight has gone up, but i've noticed i'm adding some belly fat too

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hi guys

Just a quick question

I normally workout either in the morning or at night, depending on what my work week looks like. When i go in the mornings, i'll get up at 5, have 30g whey/isolate, teaspoon of peanut butter and a banana or two, dependent of how hungry i feel or what i'm training. Then I'll start my workout at around 6. post workout i'll do 60g whey, 30g gaspari glycofuse and then an hour later i'll have a meal with about 40g protein and 40g carbs. If i workout at night, it's basically the same routine, it's just then i end up having dinner around 8:30 or 9. Is this too much calories in such a small time frame? I'm asking because i've been following this for a few weeks and my weight has gone up, but i've noticed i'm adding some belly fat too
For your setup the pre-workout meal is fine (Whey/Banana/PB), but what I would do is use the glycofuse intra-workout. Go home and have a meal instead of another shake (unless a shake is convenient).

If your adding fat that is from a caloric surplus. meaning your overall meal plan and caloric intake is much higher then maintenance. Therefore you will gain weight and fat. If you minimize your caloric surplus you will help the amount of fat gain over the time you are in a caloric surplus.

What is your total caloric intake in the day? What are your macros (protein/Carbs/Fat)?

There is also no need to have a meal 1 hour after a post-workout shake. There is nothing to benefit from a muscle protein synthesis standpoint. You would be better off just dropping the shake and just having the meal post-workout. Spread the protein intake from that shake over the 24 hour period to meet your protein intake.

Can you outline what your other meals look like?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html

these are some good links to help you out with mass gain and setting things up for you!

Tank88

Tank88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks a lot for the advice man.I remember something saying have a meal within an hour of your post workout shake, but maybe it works for other people, but it just seems to make me fat! It's always been my problem that i want to see weight gain, but fat gain is no good.

Based on what you said i'll keep my pre workout meal the same and have a solid food meal after working out. Normally when i workout in the mornings i wouldn't have any shakes again during the day, but i'll move the post workout to shake to my afternoon snack.

Thanks again for the advice

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks a lot for the advice man.I remember something saying have a meal within an hour of your post workout shake, but maybe it works for other people, but it just seems to make me fat! It's always been my problem that i want to see weight gain, but fat gain is no good.
The reason it makes you fat is not from having such a close meal. It is because your surplus is too large of total calories in the 24 hour period, which equates to a larger surplus over the 7 day week. Therefore your energy in is way more then what you expand, therefore your body is holding all those extra calories.

Based on what you said i'll keep my pre workout meal the same and have a solid food meal after working out. Normally when i workout in the mornings i wouldn't have any shakes again during the day, but i'll move the post workout to shake to my afternoon snack.

Thanks again for the advice
Correct.