Ketogenic Diet Questions

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been doing a very low carb, high fat, and moderate protein diet for 6 days now. My meals are basically 40-50 grams protein and 75 grams fat (no CHO basically), 3 times a day. Granted, it varies a little with the protein and fat. Should I be measuring blood ketones and blood glucose first thing in the AM only, or at any time? 2 hours after lunch today my ketones were .2 and blood glucose was 110. My first thought is this sucks and maybe I ate too much protein that meal, but perhaps it's just too early in the process to judge and make adjustments? Any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

Note, I'm 221, about 20-25% bf I think, but very active, if it matters.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
First in the morning measurement, and protein seems low to be honest.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Cals look good, you trying to lose weight or just get into ketosis? 6 days is not enough, I can take up to 3 months to establish a good base, 1 month to really hit ketosis IMO. I would suggest eating some greens and getting a fibre supplement to help with bowel movements. Everyone's different, don't waste you Keto strips everyday, try measuring once a week to start, in the morning upon rising fasted, this will give you the best reading. They jump around all day when you eat ect, protein will lower them but if you're trying to hold onto muscle in a deficit or trying to gain, I'd rather that than high ketones haha I keep to 1g per lbm cutting and 1.2g lbm when bulking. 0.5-3mM is considered ketosis but 0.2 I would still class as fat adaption

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
Cals look good, you trying to lose weight or just get into ketosis? 6 days is not enough, I can take up to 3 months to establish a good base, 1 month to really hit ketosis IMO. I would suggest eating some greens and getting a fibre supplement to help with bowel movements. Everyone's different, don't waste you Keto strips everyday, try measuring once a week to start, in the morning upon rising fasted, this will give you the best reading. They jump around all day when you eat ect, protein will lower them but if you're trying to hold onto muscle in a deficit or trying to gain, I'd rather that than high ketones haha I keep to 1g per lbm cutting and 1.2g lbm when bulking. 0.5-3mM is considered ketosis but 0.2 I would still class as fat adaption
A month to get into ketosis? If glycogen is depleted, you can get in in 26 hrs. For getting fat adapted, 8-12 weeks sometimes up to 6 months

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The primary reason for getting into ketosis is sarcoidosis treatment, but I also want to be in ketosis so I can do intermittent fasting for the enhanced injury recovery. And of course, body composition is important but not the major reason I'm doing this. My body composition will go to crap anyway since I can't workout basically at all now (except deadlifts, rows, shrugs, curls and triceps press downs due to 1 torn rotator cuff and 1 rotator cuff tendinosis).

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
What a good idea! Well if you're injured I'd reccomend maintenance calories and adequate protein to help with recovery! You can do IF anyway regardless of diet but IF helps ketosis to be honest. It won't go to crap with light exercise. I tore my AC joint a couple of years ago and just dropped all my weights, didn't lose much at all! You doing IF for the increased GH then? There plenty of things you could take legally to help with raise GH or improve injury time. If you don't mind pinning, look into TB500 and BCP157, they are peptides specifically for injurys and work great. As for increased natural GH GHRP-2 + MOD GRF are also great but need to be injected.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did you have to have surgery for the AC joint? I'm trying to avoid it as best as I can.

I'm very interested in bpc-157 and other peptides, but I'm nervous about them because there are no long term studies in humans on it. I mean, what if it causes cancer in 5 years or something else like a third arm? lol. I'm being a little over the top but I'm sure you get what I mean. I have some mk-677 here that I'm going to break into eventually but I'm also dealing with elevated hematocrit and hemoglobin from testosterone replacement therapy which from donating blood now I'm iron deficient as well. I've read that either mk-677 or actual growth hormone can further increase hematocrit and hemoglobin.

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Nah I didn't, my left shoulder is slightly lower than my right now and it crunches but I warm up and hang from a bar for about a min before I train, never have any troubles!
Honestly I'd doubt it but if you're worried then don't take it haha that and TB500 will for sure help though. Now GHRP/GHRH they have long term human studies, 3 years+, with no adverse effects, no damage to the pituitary gland, no organ growth/permagut ect.
Yeah well HGH stimulates bone and marrow; therefore intensifying red cell production. So probably no growth supplements until you have it under control. I do have a friend who sits at like 50%, I don't know much about it but I think that is quite high and he's never had any issues at all but the only thing I know of to reduce it is phlebotomy, can't help you here there Haha sorry

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, I get up 56-58 if I don't donate, and when I donated last week I was 53. There's some research it'll stabilize eventually but that hasn't happened yet.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd bring the protein up.

At least .8g per pound.

Or take your BF% x weight and get your LBM and eat .8g of pro for that.

Keto is VERY muscle sparring. So, you're headed in the right direction. Also, give it time, takes a while to get fat adapted.

Ibutamoren is a long term drug. Although, id prefer that over BPC or TB500 because of the possibility of GH/IGF benefits.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
right on. I'm not sure yet about bpc and mk; still assessing risk and whatnot.

Regarding protein, I know too much at one time can cause gluconeogenesis so that's why I'm only eating so much. I may increase it though.

Wimsicle

Wimsicle

Awards
  • Established
right on. I'm not sure yet about bpc and mk; still assessing risk and whatnot.

Regarding protein, I know too much at one time can cause gluconeogenesis so that's why I'm only eating so much. I may increase it though.
Don't sweat that man, eat 0.8g per LBM and you are solid. If you get 'kicked out' due to excess protein in a meal, you don't need to recover that long to get back in. Your brain requires glucose and will take a lot of it anyways.

I've rated 0.8-1.2g per LBM many times and I have had no troubles getting ketone readings (blood) every single morning. Not to mention the thermogenic effects and satiation of protein far outweighs the added fat calories. We have fat on our body to use :) haha