Anabolism and catabolism - Do you think protein is necessary to have before bedtime?

FitAngie

FitAngie

Awards
There are plenty of Myths, do's and dont's about staying Anabolic and Ive heard many opinions about eating protein before bedtime.
I have always wanted peoples opinions on the matter.

What do you all think? Myth or some truth in this?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Well depends on goals like anything, and how one responds. There are many that do intermittent fasting, for instance, and are able to put on quality mass. For others, they wouldn't gain as much.

Personally, I take a casein shake before bed.

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
I believe there is some benefits involved when taking protein before bed. It depends on what your source is though. From my personal experiences using casein I've noticed faster recovery from my workouts and no midnight cravings when I'm on a caloric deficit.

I would say give it a try and see for yourself.

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I believe there is some benefits involved when taking protein before bed. It depends on what your source is though. From my personal experiences using casein I've noticed faster recovery from my workouts and no midnight cravings when I'm on a caloric deficit.

I would say give it a try and see for yourself.
Exactly. I've also noticed a huge difference between casein powder and cottage cheese... I love dymatize cinnamon bun... I look forward to taking the sh1t

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is a heated discussion on so many forums. I also agree , depends on goals, and individuals metabolism. Personally, a casein shake helps and/or a few tbsp pb.

FitAngie

FitAngie

Awards
I always eat cottage cheese before bed, I heard that protein does help and since people told me that, I started eating it, but wasn't sure if it was a myth or not. thank you as always Tsmog.

Rollinbeer

Rollinbeer

Awards
Ive always pounded an aftershock shake with a banana before bed (i a believer of aftershock!) haha help with recovery and i seem to wake up looking fuller and alittle less dehydrated! But thats just me.. try it and see how it makes ya feel/look! Goodluck hoss!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Needed, no. You will not lose muscle overnight. Look at those that run IF and fast for extended periods of times. However, can protein before bed help, yes.

However, can a protein shake or protein meal be beneficial pre bed, absolutely.

Many athletes like to consume a last protein shake just before turning in for the night. This provides their muscles with extra amino acids while they sleep, and that's good for muscle growth, they say. And they're right too: Dutch nutritionists confirmed the theory in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
http://www.ergo-log.com/protein-shake-before-bed-stimulates-muscle-growth.html

If you drink a protein shake before going to sleep, you'll make more muscle protein during the night. You knew that already. And if you do weight training that evening too, the muscle build up will increase even more. Ok, you knew that too. But strictly speaking, it hadn't been scientifically demonstrated. Now it has, and Dutch nutritionists have published their findings in the Journal of Nutrition.
http://www.ergo-log.com/strength-training-evening-protein-shake-before-bed.html

If you've just started resistance training and want to see results fast, then a discovery made by nutritionists at the University of Maastricht may be just what you're looking for. The Dutch researchers discovered that beginners at strength training can almost double the amount of muscle mass they build up by drinking an extra protein shake just before going to bed.
http://www.ergo-log.com/protein-shake-nightcap-gives-strength-athletes-more-muscle.html

Personally, I don't think you need casein pre bed, but I would have some type of protein source whether it is lean meat, a shake, eggs, Greek yogurt, etc. it is up to you.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anabolism and catabolism is always taking place in the body. Don't get too hung up on terms most people don't understand.

The reality (science) of the situation is that overall protein balance is the most important factor in body composition. Sure, 20g of protein before bed will spike MPS and improve nitrogen balance but given adequate protein intake throughout the day your already at optimal levels for composition improvement.

At the end of the day it's your individual call. Science says it "may" help, so if you feel better then have some protein before bed. Would love to quote some Helms and Aragon and McDonald here but I'm on my phone.

mccollums

Awards
Curious to how this would affect HGH production. The little bit I have read on HGH is that you get your biggest release an hour or two after you fall asleep and this is blunted unless your blood sugar is at a fasting level. I would think a small dose of protein would not affect this, but I could see where a larger dose might affect this... these are just hunches. any thoughts from anyone?

mccollums

Awards
Curious to how this would affect HGH production. The little bit I have read on HGH is that you get your biggest release an hour or two after you fall asleep and this is blunted unless your blood sugar is at a fasting level. I would think a small dose of protein would not affect this, but I could see where a larger dose might affect this... these are just hunches. any thoughts from anyone?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Not necessary but potentially beneficial for MPS.

As such I always have my final 50g protein daily before bed. I usually opt for protein powder (as a shake or baked good) but will sometimes swap that for a red meat, eggs, or leaner meat + healthy fats. Anything slower digesting.

Also works for me because I have a hard time getting to sleep while hungry.

If however it's more natural for you to not eat before bed you can consider it negligible and just focus on your total daily intake

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
Some research has come out showing it may not matter when you take your protein in during the day as long you're meeting your required needs. But, when I was bulking to 280 i believe it made it easier to get in more calories at night (my observation).