Second Opinion on BMR

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
So when calculating my BMR for a lean bulk I came up with the number 4,000 calories

I am 5'10 175lbs
Workout 6 days a week 90mins-2hrs and also work a job where I am lifting and always on my feet 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

Does this sound right if I want about a 400-500 calorie surplus? I will do 20 minute of elliptical probably 4-5 days a week aswell.

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If your job actually does require lifting and walking THE ENTIRE SHIFT then yes, I'd say that's definitely in the ball park. that's what my bmr was when I used to work at a factory 10 hours a day and had a VERY similar workout regimen to yours. If anything try with that number and continue to weigh yourself daily. Take your weekly average and keep it and do the same next week. If it goes up what you are going for then you're perfect, if you lost weight or stayed exactly the same up your calories by another 3-400 and same vice versa, if you gain too much cut out 3-400 and check your averages again next week

APC80

APC80

Awards
Yes mate walking and lifting all day burns a hell of a lot of calories. I started a job like that near the end of my cut last year, bumped my calories up from 2000 to 2400 and went from losing ~1 lb a week to 3lbs or more average. I dropped the 5x week cardio I was doing as well. It really helped the last 10 lbs fly off but prob lost some muscle as well tho. So yes you'll need to eat a serious amount of food to gain weight in a physically demanding job, there's no point in steady state cardio if you're walking loads anyway. Personally I dial cardio way down when bulking I use it more for fat loss.

DK0313

DK0313

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes mate walking and lifting all day burns a hell of a lot of calories. I started a job like that near the end of my cut last year, bumped my calories up from 2000 to 2400 and went from losing ~1 lb a week to 3lbs or more average. I dropped the 5x week cardio I was doing as well. It really helped the last 10 lbs fly off but prob lost some muscle as well tho. So yes you'll need to eat a serious amount of food to gain weight in a physically demanding job, there's no point in steady state cardio if you're walking loads anyway. Personally I dial cardio way down when bulking I use it more for fat loss.
^yep

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Definitey agree on the cardio I just always notice I can not keep up with my workouts when I drop cardio out, my endurance goes quickly...plus I only burn about 150 calories if that, so very easy to eat and make up for them

Rollinbeer

Rollinbeer

Awards
In my line of work im climbing in and out of my semi, unloading procuct from trailer and running for 12+hrs a day.. so needless to say i rarely work my back/shoulders in the gym snd theyre still more pronounced than the rest of my body! Haha but i've experimented with different calorie intakes and my happy number is 4k a day. Keeps me energized and full feeling troughout the day. And like to keep my protien around 150-200g a day (roughly around body weight which is 176 atm)