Carb cycling

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I am going to start carb cycling although I'm not sure about one thing.

Do I raise my fats on low carb days to make sure I'm hitting my calories and not losing muscle.

cwages

cwages

Awards

Do I raise my fats on low carb days to make sure I'm hitting my calories and not losing muscle.
That's what I do is bump my fats and protien a tad higher to make up the calories.

cwages

cwages

Awards
Awesome thanks man
No sweat man. Make sure you throw a high carbs day in or carb load every week or 10 Days depending on how lean you are. I usually consume 3 times my body weight or a tad more on carb load Days.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
No sweat man. Make sure you throw a high carbs day in or carb load every week or 10 Days depending on how lean you are. I usually consume 3 times my body weight or a tad more on carb load Days.
I'm at 14.5%bf according to my caliper calcs. I was going to do a 3 low 2 high to start and incorporate cardio on high carb days. I'm currently eating 2600 Cals and I weigh 185 at 5ft11

cwages

cwages

Awards
I'm at 14.5%bf according to my caliper calcs. I was going to do a 3 low 2 high to start and incorporate cardio on high carb days. I'm currently eating 2600 Cals and I weigh 185
Sounds like a good place to start. Then you might opt for 1 high day and medium days depending on how demanding your workout is. I've used carb cycling for 4 months and I've drop 35lbs so far. I'm getting pretty close to 10% bodyfat or so about being high 20s or so

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Shelby Starnes has a PDF On Carb Cycling, but i suggest you read these links:

Jason Ferruggia
https://www.biolayne.com/coaching/faq/part-l-dieting/
https://legionathletics.com/carb-cycling/

[video=youtube;3yDPpc1Yazs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDPpc1Yazs[/video]

I also wrote an arcitle on carb cycling, so ill just give you a small clip of it below to help you out:

Lets take for instance your average of carbs would be 300g during the given week, instead of eating 300g every single day you may do days of 150g (low), 300g (medium) and 450g (high) while cycling your fat intake (lower on high days, and higher on low days) while keeping protein pretty steady throughout the week. Is there any real benefit to this? It can help you swing into anabolic and catbabolic environments especially while dieting. Usually on lower carb days your overall calories will be lower and on higher carb days they could act as refeeds where t3, leptin, and hormone levels will raise and may aid in further fatloss/weightloss for your given goal. In the offseason this may not apply because of being in a constant surplus so it may not have a great benefit besides enjoying higher fat foods on your low carb days and higher carb foods on your high carb days. Lets note that while cutting it may benefit again for burning fats for periods (low carb days where you may do strictly LISS cardio (Low intensity) where you are tapping fat reserves), or on the other hand higher carb days and you utilize a workout + HIIT Cardio (which utilized glucose aka carbs) for glucose/fuel where they are in an abundance.

This wil be my starting outline for someone on a medium day above. So lets take 2500 calories and calculate it out. Lets say the individual is 175 pounds and a male athlete.

20% of the calories to fat = 500 calories / 9 = ~55g
1-1.5g protein we will just setlle at 200g which is 800 calories
so that is 1300 out of the 2500 right there in protein and fat which will be allotted to carbs .. 1300/4 = 325 g
200g Protein, 325g Carbs, 55g Fat will be our medium day at 2500 calories

For a lower carb day lets drop calories by 200 and on higher carb days they will raise to 2700 calories.

Lower Carb days lets drop our carbs down to 175g, keep protein at 200 and raise our fats to hit 2300 calories
200g Protein = 800 calories
175g carbs = 700 calories
1500 out of 2300 leaves us with 800 calories / 9 ~88-89g

Now lets set up the high day:

2700 calories and 200g protein = 800 calories
lets raise carbs to 400g = 1600 calories
Leaving 300 calories for fats around 33g (yes these are low but its not like it is everyday)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

You could do that or you could keep fats the same. It all depends on what your goals are. If you're looking at a bulk, I would raise the fats to get to you're desired caloric intake. If recomping, I would maybe raise the fats some, so you're in a surplus, but not a large surplus.

Personally, my moderate carb days are 250 cals less than my high carb days and my low carb days are 500 less than my high carb days/250 cals less than my moderate carb days.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Shelby Starnes has a PDF On Carb Cycling, but i suggest you read these links:

Jason Ferruggia
https://www.biolayne.com/coaching/faq/part-l-dieting/
https://legionathletics.com/carb-cycling/

[video=youtube;3yDPpc1Yazs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDPpc1Yazs[/video]

I also wrote an arcitle on carb cycling, so ill just give you a small clip of it below to help you out:

Lets take for instance your average of carbs would be 300g during the given week, instead of eating 300g every single day you may do days of 150g (low), 300g (medium) and 450g (high) while cycling your fat intake (lower on high days, and higher on low days) while keeping protein pretty steady throughout the week. Is there any real benefit to this? It can help you swing into anabolic and catbabolic environments especially while dieting. Usually on lower carb days your overall calories will be lower and on higher carb days they could act as refeeds where t3, leptin, and hormone levels will raise and may aid in further fatloss/weightloss for your given goal. In the offseason this may not apply because of being in a constant surplus so it may not have a great benefit besides enjoying higher fat foods on your low carb days and higher carb foods on your high carb days. Lets note that while cutting it may benefit again for burning fats for periods (low carb days where you may do strictly LISS cardio (Low intensity) where you are tapping fat reserves), or on the other hand higher carb days and you utilize a workout + HIIT Cardio (which utilized glucose aka carbs) for glucose/fuel where they are in an abundance.

This wil be my starting outline for someone on a medium day above. So lets take 2500 calories and calculate it out. Lets say the individual is 175 pounds and a male athlete.

20% of the calories to fat = 500 calories / 9 = ~55g
1-1.5g protein we will just setlle at 200g which is 800 calories
so that is 1300 out of the 2500 right there in protein and fat which will be allotted to carbs .. 1300/4 = 325 g
200g Protein, 325g Carbs, 55g Fat will be our medium day at 2500 calories

For a lower carb day lets drop calories by 200 and on higher carb days they will raise to 2700 calories.

Lower Carb days lets drop our carbs down to 175g, keep protein at 200 and raise our fats to hit 2300 calories
200g Protein = 800 calories
175g carbs = 700 calories
1500 out of 2300 leaves us with 800 calories / 9 ~88-89g

Now lets set up the high day:

2700 calories and 200g protein = 800 calories
lets raise carbs to 400g = 1600 calories
Leaving 300 calories for fats around 33g (yes these are low but its not like it is everyday)
I really like the looks of Layne Norton's 4 week bulk 3 week cut I think I'll actually give that a try I have read that carb cycling doesn't actually give a real benefit and that as long as your protein is high and you're in a caloric deficit you can divide up the remaining cals into fats and carbs and things will work out it's like the guy who did the convenience store diet to prove the laws of thermodynamics and the laws of conservation of mass. It really proves that the body is a machine and that simple chemistry works. Thanks for those links and that example.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I really like the looks of Layne Norton's 4 week bulk 3 week cut I think I'll actually give that a try I have read that carb cycling doesn't actually give a real benefit and that as long as your protein is high and you're in a caloric deficit you can divide up the remaining cals into fats and carbs and things will work out it's like the guy who did the convenience store diet to prove the laws of thermodynamics and the laws of conservation of mass. It really proves that the body is a machine and that simple chemistry works. Thanks for those links and that example.
Putting yourself in a surplus for 4 weeks then cutting for 3 weeks is constantly swinging you in and out of a deficit and surplus. You are smarter to pick one goal. Attack it, and stick at it.. If you want to carb cycle you still can even if you are gaining or cutting.
Just make sure the deficit or surplus at the end of the week matches your goal. Then you can divy up your low/med/high days.

Again carb cycling is personal preference, some people like to eat the same thing everyday (caloric wise). Totally your choice.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Putting yourself in a surplus for 4 weeks then cutting for 3 weeks is constantly swinging you in and out of a deficit and surplus. You are smarter to pick one goal. Attack it, and stick at it.. If you want to carb cycle you still can even if you are gaining or cutting.
Just make sure the deficit or surplus at the end of the week matches your goal. Then you can divy up your low/med/high days.

Again carb cycling is personal preference, some people like to eat the same thing everyday (caloric wise). Totally your choice.
The only reason I was going to do the carb cycling was because I looked at the six pack University program by BPI it looked decent but I find I hate the feeling of not having carbs I did it for one day and I didn't like it much. I prefer a slight modification to the 40/40/20 diet and making it 35/40/25 bodybuilding type diet. The increase in fat let's me eat 3 eggs for breaky the morning which I eat with a half cup of oatmeal and 40g of whey. I dont mind eating that every morning. Is that ok?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The only reason I was going to do the carb cycling was because I looked at the six pack University program by BPI it looked decent but I find I hate the feeling of not having carbs I did it for one day and I didn't like it much. I prefer a slight modification to the 40/40/20 diet and making it 35/40/25 bodybuilding type diet. The increase in fat let's me eat 3 eggs for breaky the morning which I eat with a half cup of oatmeal and 40g of whey. I dont mind eating that every morning. Is that ok?
Do you enjoy what you eat?
Does it digest well?
If so enjoy it and fit it into your calories

1g/pound of protein
20% fat
Rest carbs

If you find you tolerate fat better then go higher fat and drop your carbs are vice versa

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Perfect sounds good thanks man will do cause yes I do enjoy that and it digests very good just didn't know if I could actually get shredded off of it

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Perfect sounds good thanks man will do cause yes I do enjoy that and it digests very good just didn't know if I could actually get shredded off of it
Create a caloric deficit, and you can lose weight, and you can get shredded.
Exactly as outlined in my post above.

deanX

Awards
Pretty much the same suggestion to me for better gain.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Can anyone suggest a good carb cycling sample meal plan for a week. If anyone has one that all includes a training schedule. I will be looking at working out 4-5 times per week. Thanks

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Can anyone suggest a good carb cycling sample meal plan for a week. If anyone has one that all includes a training schedule. I will be looking at working out 4-5 times per week. Thanks
There is no cookie cutter meal plan.
Eat as many meals as you like, divy up the food sources that digest best, and utilize them and your macros to fit your personal goal.

Training schedule? Run a simple upper/lower, lyles generic bulking routine, or PHAT Style training. Stick to the basics and focus on the KISS Principle. (Keep it simple stupid).

Use the information above to outline your calories based off goal, then look into simple routines:

http://jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf
http://oldschooltrainer.com/upper-lower-training-split/
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

If you already dont have experience training for quite some time I would focus on Starting Strength or Madcow 5x5

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
There is no cookie cutter meal plan.
Eat as many meals as you like, divy up the food sources that digest best, and utilize them and your macros to fit your personal goal.

Training schedule? Run a simple upper/lower, lyles generic bulking routine, or PHAT Style training. Stick to the basics and focus on the KISS Principle. (Keep it simple stupid).

Use the information above to outline your calories based off goal, then look into simple routines:

http://jcdfitness.com/wp-content/download/Lyle_McDonald_Generic_Bulking_Routine_FAQ.pdf
http://oldschooltrainer.com/upper-lower-training-split/
http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

If you already dont have experience training for quite some time I would focus on Starting Strength or Madcow 5x5
Thank you! You are always quick to help and fill of helpful tips! There is a lot to learn for someone who is really just starting to care what they eat. Learning what to eat and when to eat it!
Help is always appreciated

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying to figure out my numbers. Based off "exercise" 5 times per week and weighing 191lbs it suggests 2683 calories/day for maintenance and 2146 for fat loss.
Carbs - 45% =247g
Protein - 35% =192g
Fat - 20% =48g.

My goal is for some fat loss while maintaining as much muscle as possible. I guess Body recomposition? It's mainly to try and lose the belly fat. I know I can't control where the fat comes from but that's the hopes.

How are those numbers? To carb cycle how much should I up on training days and how much to drop on off days?

Thanks

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I'm trying to figure out my numbers. Based off "exercise" 5 times per week and weighing 191lbs it suggests 2683 calories/day for maintenance and 2146 for fat loss.
Carbs - 45% =247g
Protein - 35% =192g
Fat - 20% =48g.

My goal is for some fat loss while maintaining as much muscle as possible. I guess Body recomposition? It's mainly to try and lose the belly fat. I know I can't control where the fat comes from but that's the hopes.

How are those numbers? To carb cycle how much should I up on training days and how much to drop on off days?

Thanks
Usually you cut your carbs down to half but you don't necessarily have to carb cycle you can do 2150 calories a day based off of 1.5g of protein per lbs of lbm and then 0.5g of fat per lbm and the rest carbs.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Carbs - 45% =247g
Protein - 35% =192g
Fat - 20% =48g.

Thanks
It really does not matter what calculator you use, they will all give you different numbers and answers. Your best bet is to take a set number, say 2500 and run that. Trial and Error is best when it comes to setting up YOUR diet and seeing how it works best for you. Everyone and their mother has a calculator for TDEE and calories, but they are just too generic. The human body doesn't work that way. No website will give you a true outline that suits your body and its caloric input or output. Sure it is a starting point, but I would rather you have your calories higher to start then lower. This gives you more flexibility if you stall to make adjustments and prevent your metabolism from crashing faster in a dieting phase or recomp phase.

If your 191, then yeah 192g of protein is fine. I would say that is reasonable based off what you have there, so start there. Assess the mirror and scale for 2 weeks, then adjust based off what you see and read on the scale. How many meals you want per day and how you divy them up is your preference. I always suggest consuming the bulk of your carbs right around your workout.. This will help optimize your training.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
It really does not matter what calculator you use, they will all give you different numbers and answers. Your best bet is to take a set number, say 2500 and run that. Trial and Error is best when it comes to setting up YOUR diet and seeing how it works best for you. Everyone and their mother has a calculator for TDEE and calories, but they are just too generic. The human body doesn't work that way. No website will give you a true outline that suits your body and its caloric input or output. Sure it is a starting point, but I would rather you have your calories higher to start then lower. This gives you more flexibility if you stall to make adjustments and prevent your metabolism from crashing faster in a dieting phase or recomp phase.

If your 191, then yeah 192g of protein is fine. I would say that is reasonable based off what you have there, so start there. Assess the mirror and scale for 2 weeks, then adjust based off what you see and read on the scale. How many meals you want per day and how you divy them up is your preference. I always suggest consuming the bulk of your carbs right around your workout.. This will help optimize your training.
Thanks man!! You are always a great help! I was thinking that with the calculators. Choosing exercise 5 times per week really doesn't narrow it down. People's ideas of "exercising" are very different

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Rather than starting a new thread it's probably easiest to ask you guys here. If I miss judge my calories for the day and hit my number (2500) but haven't hit my proper carbs or protein yet do I go over calories to hi macros or stop where I am? (In laws dropped off some dinner that just screwed my plan lol).

Anyways ya so calories vs macros which is more important to hit. I know the ideal is both but I'm still learning and mistakes will certainly be made.

Thanks guys

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Rather than starting a new thread it's probably easiest to ask you guys here. If I miss judge my calories for the day and hit my number (2500) but haven't hit my proper carbs or protein yet do I go over calories to hi macros or stop where I am? (In laws dropped off some dinner that just screwed my plan lol).

Anyways ya so calories vs macros which is more important to hit. I know the ideal is both but I'm still learning and mistakes will certainly be made.

Thanks guys
Calories are macros bud. Each protein/carb macro is 4g and fat macro is 9g.
In an ideal world you will hit the Macros you setup, but in some cases macros may be skewed (% wise) when situations occur, so focus on overall calories.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Calories are macros bud. Each protein/carb macro is 4g and fat macro is 9g.
In an ideal world you will hit the Macros you setup, but in some cases macros may be skewed (% wise) when situations occur, so focus on overall calories.
Fair enough! I guess the problem is I went over in fat so it's screwed my protein and carbs.