Is it worth fasting for one day a week?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just starting to play around with my diet, not at the point of counting calories or doing cardio yet tho lol

I'm adding a re-feed day(Monday)(Actually finding it difficult to eat all these carbs), off course my cheat meal day which is basically pizza/ice cream/chocolate(Thursday), and thought I could fast Saturday from 4-6pm until 8-10am Sunday?

Any benefits in this? It would be my day off gym as-well so I figured it wouldn't effect me too much.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So that's a 16-18 hour fast. A lot of people here do 16/8 IM and love it.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been doing IF for a couple of years now. Basically, all of my food intake is during a 6 hour window. Depending on what time I get up (my work schedule is kinda weird), I might eat my first meal at 14:00, and my last meal at 20:00. It fits my schedule pretty good and I've gotten used to it.

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been doing IF for a couple of years now. Basically, all of my food intake is during a 6 hour window. Depending on what time I get up (my work schedule is kinda weird), I might eat my first meal at 14:00, and my last meal at 20:00. It fits my schedule pretty good and I've gotten used to it.
I've been doing the same thing for about 2 years now. It really saves me from overeating and it helps me stay on a good eating schedule.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So that's a 16-18 hour fast. A lot of people here do 16/8 IM and love it.
Yea, however just looking to use it one day per week.

I could do it all the time, honestly I'm not a huge eater and when I was younger before training I was fasting without even knowing. However my training times, work times change quite often. I just wanna throw in another curve ball for my body during the week.

Just unsure if the one time a week would have benefits?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any time you fast has tremendous health benefits. If not bodybuilding competitively I'd fast every day after my cheat/refeed.
I feel disgusting, I should probably fast from now considering my cheat meal went for 5-6 hours. Haha

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Why not just do a zero carb day and keep protein lower?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why not just do a zero carb day and keep protein lower?
What an I meant to eat?

I do low carb days, the issue is I probably am under eating constantly. I'm 93kg, 11% or so. I doubt I eat over 2k cal a day. That is why I added the refeed, trying to keep my cheat meal more under control. Throw a fasting day in there, and generally the Tuesday or Wednesday I'll do lower carbs by guess..

However, a standard day I may have 200-250g of carb, if that.

I'm trying to work out more ways to eat veggies, even going to add lentils.

Either I trick my body to drop fat, or I add cardio. Unfortunately I'm never really hungry, this only has happened when I prepped right and I was eating min 600g veggies a day. I started to get hungry, so trying to workout how to add more easily ?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Decided to fast today, and I'll eat no carbs. I might even fast tomorrow or Sunday.

Hopefully doesn't mess up my recovery from leg training ?

Plan to smash 2k cals in 4 hours tonight

2 shakes = 100g/p
4 slices protein bread = 48/p
4 eggs 18/p
2 slices cheese 9/p
Salami 20-30/p
Beef mince/Veg 30/p

Should hit 200-250/p in 4 hours, and 50-90g fats

No idea what I'm doing ?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Idk if this applies, bc I do cardio and track my food, and basically only eat to fuel and recover from my training. I find that one day a week, which for me is normally Sunday, I like to fast, usually will do cardio and possibly some active rest workouts. I find a day of fasting accelerates fatloss, gives my digestive system a rest and let's me relax for a day. I will also say that if you strentgh starts to decline, you might need to pull back a little.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
If it is then honestly ur under eating which is actually hurting your fat loss and metabolism. Also what is your training protocol like etc. With my clients I make sure the calories match with the workout program. I also use a carb cycling approach if needed, keto, etc. plans are specific to the person and goals. So fasting for you and your approach actually might not be ideal