BIG HELP NEEDED! I'm moving to the US from Italy - Suggest me food and stores!

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys! I'm soon moving to the US for work reasons - I currently, and have always, lived in Italy. I am not familiar at all with US food chain stores, brands, etc.

The only thing I know is that Whole Foods is expensive af haha. I'm looking for the best places and brands for oats, ezekiel bread, brown rice, cottage cheese (lactose free), tuna and in general any bodybuilding-related food that comes to your mind. Good stuff that doesn't cost a fortune as well.

Any help will be definitely appreciated, thanks a lot!

Rollinbeer

Rollinbeer

Awards
What part of the US?

Rollinbeer

Rollinbeer

Awards
I know down here in TX, ya got Kroger, Walmart, and HEB! Everywhere else youll go broke haha

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
WALMART has everything one will need

Super Target is better

Look for a Sams Club, Costco, BJS Whosesale Club for all of your bulk food items

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rhode Island/Massachusetts area
For grocery stores, in that area, you will have Shoprtie and Stop and Shop/Giant. Shoprite always has better deals and their meat quality is better.

You should also have Aldi in your area. The food there is very cheap, the only thing is they have their own brand, which reduces prices of their foods. Everything tastes the same as a regular grocery store.

More than likely you will have a BJ's in your area or Costco. It is good to sign up for a membership for bulk items. You will spend more money up front, but when you break down the cost, it is significantly cheaper. I would suggest eggs, milk, greek yogurt, nuts and nut butters, snacks, beauty items, paper goods and cleaning supplies. If it is only you, I would avoid most produce, unless you go through it quickly.

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys! I'm soon moving to the US for work reasons - I currently, and have always, lived in Italy. I am not familiar at all with US food chain stores, brands, etc.

The only thing I know is that Whole Foods is expensive af haha. I'm looking for the best places and brands for oats, ezekiel bread, brown rice, cottage cheese (lactose free), tuna and in general any bodybuilding-related food that comes to your mind. Good stuff that doesn't cost a fortune as well.

Any help will be definitely appreciated, thanks a lot!
Finally a right question. A guy searching where to eat than where to pin. Sorry, cant help, but repped

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Rhode Island/Massachusetts area
We'll be neighbors! As Ant mentioned, Shoprite is a great go-to store for good deals. Some Shoprite stores have a "health" aisle that has Ezekiel bread and some other hard to find foods, but you might have to go to Whole Foods for some of the more specific items. Shoprite has a store brand for most products like oatmeal, cottage cheese, and brown rice. All of the store brand items are usually cheaper, and they're identical to the more expensive brands.

I also have a membership to BJ's, which is a wholesale club store. It's a great place to buy in bulk at a low price.

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
We'll be neighbors! As Ant mentioned, Shoprite is a great go-to store for good deals. Some Shoprite stores have a "health" aisle that has Ezekiel bread and some other hard to find foods, but you might have to go to Whole Foods for some of the more specific items. Shoprite has a store brand for most products like oatmeal, cottage cheese, and brown rice. All of the store brand items are usually cheaper, and they're identical to the more expensive brands.

I also have a membership to BJ's, which is a wholesale club store. It's a great place to buy in bulk at a low price.
just noticed Shoprite is not in RI or MA, just CT :(

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
just noticed Shoprite is not in RI or MA, just CT :(
Price Rite is similar to SR. There are Stop&Shops up in MA and RI, which will be a little more expensive than Shoprite, but still not bad. What area are you moving to?

mrhankey87

mrhankey87

Awards
  • Established
Price Rite is similar to SR. There are Stop&Shops up in MA and RI, which will be a little more expensive than Shoprite, but still not bad. What area are you moving to?
Most likely very close to Gold's Gym Pawtucket (RI), alternatively south MA (around Attleboro)

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Most likely very close to Gold's Gym Pawtucket (RI), alternatively south MA (around Attleboro)
That's a nice area. I've never been to that Gold's, but the Boston Sports Club in Providence isn't bad. Be sure to check out India Point Park too - best spot to crush outdoor cardio and get some fresh air

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
Market Basket usually has the lowest prices around. I've heard Trader Joe's is generally less expensive than Whole Foods but has similar quality products. I'm not sure if there's one near Attleboro though

Tearbear

Awards
There is a food store on every corner of the US. You won't look long