Does casein slow down the absorption of whey?

jimhalp

Awards
Does casein slow down the absorption of whey? As in, if I took in 30 grams whey and 30 grams casein before bed does the casein slow the whey down? Do they have any effect on each other? Is their any downside to doing this?

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does casein slow down the absorption of whey? As in, if I took in 30 grams whey and 30 grams casein before bed does the casein slow the whey down? Do they have any effect on each other? Is their any downside to doing this?
I think it shouldn't.
IMO before bed, just casein might be better.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
It wouldn't slow down the absorption of the whey protein. Casein is the slow digesting protein. If you want to slow down the digestion of the whey protein add some healthy fats with it like almond butter, walnuts, almonds, peanut butter.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
There's no downside to mixing the two. Casein before bed is a bit of a "broscience" supplement company scheme to be honest. Casein is slower digesting, but it won't have much of an impact on your recovery or muscle building if you decide to use it or not use it. Calorie and protein intake over a 24 hour period is what matters the most, and a slow digesting meal before bed won't improve results.

Don't stress over the details as much, just hit your macros and enjoy your food :)

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It wouldn't slow down the absorption of the whey protein. Casein is the slow digesting protein. If you want to slow down the digestion of the whey protein add some healthy fats with it like almond butter, walnuts, almonds, peanut butter.
So adding a slow digesting food (fats) will slow the whey but adding casein (another slow digesting food) will have no effect?

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A little copy/pasta from the PES website:

When researchers at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic tested a combination of whey + casein protein, as found naturally in milk protein, they discovered that the two protein sources work together to build lean muscle.

100% whey protein in isolation only gets you so far... it can spike protein synthesis with an influx of amino acids, but quickly returns to baseline, leaving you where you started.

Enter casein, a slower-digesting protein that's typically consumed for its anti-catabolic properties as it promotes a steady release of amino acids over time. Casein actually results in more retention of ingested protein than whey!

In another published study, researchers found the combination of whey protein with casein protein resulted in a quick increase in protein synthesisalong with a sustained elevation in plasma leucine levels. Plasma leucine levels are a key dictator of muscle protein synthesis, and thus, a combination of whey protein and casein protein may serve to maximize muscle protein accumulation.

Whey protein hits the bloodstream at a fast rate, but it is casein protein that has been shown to create the strongest leucine balance. It only makes sense to consume them together.

Studies have repeatedly shown that milk may be the optimal post workout drink due to the unique delivery and interplay of milk protein's components: whey protein and casein protein, together.

In fact, the research shows that even if amino acid content of a protein is held constant, milk protein augments lean muscle accrual to a greater degree than fast-digesting hydrolyzed proteins due to the unique pattern of amino acid delivery that only milk protein can provide. Nature had it right all along: milk protein is king. Did I mention that Milk Protein Isolate is the first ingredient in our SELECT Protein?

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So to answer OP's question, a combination of whey and casein may be more beneficial than consuming either alone

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Casein is a slow digesting protein. Whey protein is not as slow digesting. A healthy fat source will slow down the digestion process. Casein is not a slow digesting food so it wouldn't slow down the whey protein.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I would recommend consuming both with some healthy fats to slow down the whey protein or if your bulking have oats with it before bed or sweet potatoes to keep insulin and blood sugar down

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Casein is a slow digesting protein. Whey protein is not as slow digesting. A healthy fat source will slow down the digestion process. Casein is not a slow digesting food so it wouldn't slow down the whey protein.
Is fat free greek yogurt a slow digesting food?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Is fat free greek yogurt a slow digesting food?
Yes indeed, plain fat free greek yogurt is a great option. The flavored ones are usually full of sugar which make it a faster digesting food, so I would stick to plain if you can. Another great slower digesting option is cottage cheese. I personally hate the stuff, but many people eat that as a nighttime snack

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I was about to jump in here and just say this. Fats will help slow down the digestion of the protein. I have always heard that even before the gym and you have a shake or a meal, to have some fats to slow the digestion during the workout

Why not do the same prior to bed time?

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes indeed, plain fat free greek yogurt is a great option. The flavored ones are usually full of sugar which make it a faster digesting food, so I would stick to plain if you can. Another great slower digesting option is cottage cheese. I personally hate the stuff, but many people eat that as a nighttime snack
Haha ok I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying...

So we agree FF Greek yogurt and cottage cheese would slow the digestion of whey correct?

What type of protein do you think is in each of these foods?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Haha ok I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying...

So we agree FF Greek yogurt and cottage cheese would slow the digestion of whey correct?

What type of protein do you think is in each of these foods?
You're right, I don't understand what you're saying to be honest. And the digestion rate of protein sources, aside from postworkout, is irrelevant.

But to answer your question, the majority of the protein content in both greek yogurt and cottage cheese is casein; which is why it is a slower digesting protein source when compared to an isolated whey protein powder.

Will it slow down the digestion of whey? Maybe. Does it matter? Not really.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So to answer OP's question, a combination of whey and casein may be more beneficial than consuming either alone
This is true.

The best post-workout shake doesn't just contain easily digested proteins like whey and soya protein. Strength athletes will get more out their training session if they drink a protein shake that contains fast and slow proteins, such as casein. Nutritional scientist at the University of Texas at Galveston published a study on the subject in the Journal of Nutrition.
http://www.ergo-log.com/mix-of-casein-whey-soya-protein-after-strength-training.html

For an all-around protein powder, a blend of whey and casein is best. For workout nutrition, casein hydrolysate reigns supreme.
https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/whey-vs-casein-the-real-story

This is why I only stick to Modern Protein, Select and Clean Protein.

Or if I have whey on hand, I will mix it with greek yogurt.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're right, I don't understand what you're saying to be honest. And the digestion rate of protein sources, aside from postworkout, is irrelevant.

But to answer your question, the majority of the protein content in both greek yogurt and cottage cheese is casein; which is why it is a slower digesting protein source when compared to an isolated whey protein powder.

Will it slow down the digestion of whey? Maybe. Does it matter? Not really.
Not once did I suggest the rate of digestion had any importance. You are actually the only one who did so when mentioning post workout (which is also debatable unless having multiple training sessions per day)
The op asked how to slow the rate of digestion of whey correct?
Will fats slow it? Yes
Will casein (whether it come from Micellar powder or Whole Foods)? Yes
Is it necessary? No
Has whey+casein been shown to have synergistic effects when consumed together? See above