Getting Healthier

GSP

Awards
Hey everybody new to the site. I was a former athlete, went through a long period of eating ****ty and enjoying too much booze. Fairly recently I looked in the mirror and was in horror of my gut and man boobs. Since then I have been working out, and cutting out booze. Problem is I am only used to trying to power lift and i recognize that i have never really had good eating habits. I'm up to 315 lbs up from the 280 I was in August. What is the best way to attack this healthier lifestyle?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
My advice is run a ketogenic diet for a few months and you will

1) Drop a sh1t load of body fat

2) improve insulin sensitivity

3) get more mindful of tracking both macros and total caloric intake

Do yourself a favor and get a calorie counter app and a good scale, get into the discipline of tracking EVERYTHING you eat/drink.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The first thing I would say is to not dive into the deep end and just eat all healthy foods. I know that sounds counter productive, but I have friends and family members go with that approach and they end up eating "healthy". Learn moderation, a beer, pastry, "bad" food is good once in a while. Moderation is key. Also, learn how to make healthier options taste better. Use some sauces and spices. If you don't like veggies, cook them various ways. For example, add some low fat/non-fat cheese to your broccoli.

The way to make eating habits stick, is to make them a part of your daily routine and then it just becomes a routine. Pack your lunch for work, look at healthier options when you go out to eat, and most importantly, do not deprive yourself of foods/beverages you enjoy. That will make eating healthier harder.

GSP

Awards
I've heard of keto diets, but i'll have to look into them. I know brendan schaub on the TFATK podcast did that for a while, and eventually dropped out. With low carb, does this not leave light headedness?

georgetown

Awards
  • Established
The first thing I would say is to not dive into the deep end and just eat all healthy foods. I know that sounds counter productive, but I have friends and family members go with that approach and they end up eating "healthy". Learn moderation, a beer, pastry, "bad" food is good once in a while. Moderation is key. Also, learn how to make healthier options taste better. Use some sauces and spices. If you don't like veggies, cook them various ways. For example, add some low fat/non-fat cheese to your broccoli.

The way to make eating habits stick, is to make them a part of your daily routine and then it just becomes a routine. Pack your lunch for work, look at healthier options when you go out to eat, and most importantly, do not deprive yourself of foods/beverages you enjoy. That will make eating healthier harder.
I like this advice, learn moderation with diet and consistency in the gym, if powerlifting is your thing aim to get better (personal records, getting stronger, etc.). If you want to try something else in the gym go for it learn what you like and improve on whatever you choose to do. Lots of good info around here

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I've heard of keto diets, but i'll have to look into them. I know brendan schaub on the TFATK podcast did that for a while, and eventually dropped out. With low carb, does this not leave light headedness?
If you're just getting back into eating well and lifting, I wouldn't go to the extreme of starting a keto diet. Especially if you enjoy powerlifting. Keto can be effective, but low/no carbs will have an effect on gym performance.

As others mentioned, I would focus on consistently eating well and lifting. You don't need to be 100% on point, but learn to choose better nutrition options and don't try to be too extreme. Also, depending on your physique goals, you may want to incorporate different types of training besides powerlifting. Most powerlifters aren't concerned with aesthetics and body composition, so you may want to consider adding in additional isolation/bodybuilding type training with some cardio if you're unhappy with how you look