Whey isolate

Mudveins

Awards
I've been drinking about 120-180g of whey isolate protein daily, from various brands for 6-8 years now. All of a sudden about a month ago I am getting digestive problems from all my trusted brands... sick to my stomach, diarrhea, gas, nausea, within a half hour of drink it. Could it be that my body has become intolerant to it after so many years? It even happens with my lactose free protein.
Going to try brown rice protein today.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
First thing you should do is examine the ingredient label of the protein(s) you are currently using. Look for anything in the ingredient list that might be causing such a reaction such as artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, emulsifiers, thickeners, creamers, etc. Also check to make sure that the only protein listed in the ingredient list is WPI. The less ingredients the better and cleaner your WPI should be. Also you should check independent reviews from time to time to stay updated on which brands are best/worst. https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

Mudveins

Awards
First thing you should do is examine the ingredient label of the protein(s) you are currently using. Look for anything in the ingredient list that might be causing such a reaction such as artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, emulsifiers, thickeners, creamers, etc. Also check to make sure that the only protein listed in the ingredient list is WPI. The less ingredients the better and cleaner your WPI should be. Also you should check independent reviews from time to time to stay updated on which brands are best/worst.
What confuses me is that I've used this brand of protein for a year (Beyond yourself and Kaizen)
Why would it be affecting me now?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Assuming ingredients and label have not changed, it could be a bad batch or possibly a cold/virus/bug that you may have caught. It could also be the amount you use daily of 120g-180g protein from powders. Getting that much protein daily in the form of quick digesting processed protein powder might be triggering some sort of reaction or intolerance. At the very least it is triggering a pretty big insulin response. You can always stop using your current brand or try switching to another brand for a week to a month and then go back to the one that was giving you problems and see if it still triggers a reaction.

I've used various brands of flavored and unflavored WPI over the years (NOW, Muscle Feast, True Nutrition, etc) and have never had a problem. However, I only use WPI on my training days, usually post workout, and WPI only accounts for 25g-50g of my total daily protein intake of 150g-200g. I try to get all my protein from food whenever possible as it is more nutritious and satiating. Sometimes I don't even use WPI post workout if I know I will be eating lots of protein from leftovers, special lunches, dinners holiday gatherings, etc.

Mudveins

Awards
Is it possible for an intolerance to just come about after years of drinking that much quick digesting protein daily? Even my new Brown rice protein did the same thing today. Is 50g of protein in a serving becoming too much for my stomach to handle?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Is it possible for an intolerance to just come about after years of drinking that much quick digesting protein daily? Even my new Brown rice protein did the same thing today. Is 50g of protein in a serving becoming too much for my stomach to handle?
It all depends on the individual, but it is possible. Also keep in mind that is a lot of processed liquid nutrition that you are drinking daily.

Mudveins

Awards
So weird that I could drink that much liquid protein for years and never have an issue

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
Food sensitivities can come on after many years of eating the same thing with lots of different triggers. Look at the numbers of people that have become coeliac later in life.

I'd take a break from the protein powder and try other sources for a while and see if it helps, but is more than likely a stomach virus of some kind. However that seems like a lot of protein from the same powder source. It sounds as though it is your main source of protein rather than being a supplement to your diet.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So weird that I could drink that much liquid protein for years and never have an issue
It can happen over years man .. thats alot of protein daily .. how much are you getting from foods ?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Im pretty sure that much whey every day is bad for your microbial health. Maybe you have slowly killed off essential bacteria in your gut.

Mudveins

Awards
I agree it's too much liquid food. It's about half of my daily intake if it's a workout day.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
Eat more meat cut back on the whey and I swear your digestive issues will go away