High Alkaline Water

sespress

Awards
So this has become a big thing, and as a guy who has had heartburn issues, and access to well water choked with minerals I will attest that it is at least good at killing some stomach acid and seems to not only taste better but to be more hydrating.

Here's something new that's happening. There are machines now that produce High Alkaline water via something akin to Electrolysis. there's a cathode and anode and you replace the contacts periodically. It fits inline into the water system at the house and produces TWO waters. High Alk (mostly OH- ions) and High Acidic (as a byproduct, full of H+ ions or just random asz protons flying around). Apparently you use the high acidic for cleaning! and drink the alk produced water.

Having taken college level chemistry for a few years I understand the concept that water isn't just always H2O, but a lot of H+ and OH- flying around binding and breaking apart depending on a lot of things, dissolved solids, electrical current, heat, pressure, blah blah.

Anyhow I enjoy the well water, it's NATURALLY high Alk at about 8.2 up here. I drink it before it hit's the softener. We wash in the softened water of course but I don't drink that salt. A PH test strip will show the PH of the water here, but it has NO reaction to the machine produced stuff in the stores, or from the machines (a neighbor has one). I'm thinking I need an actual digital meter to detect the true concentration.

Does anyone know about this? Is it possible that the created high alk water isn't really a good thing, considering the method by which it produces alkalinity? I mean OH- is gonna want to grab a random H+ (proton) from wherever it can, or bind to an existing + compound with some serious eagerness.

Is the machine generated stuff going to pull out "Free Radical Oxygen" as described by the manufacturer? Chemistry seems to say yea, but I also wonder what the heck else it could pull and bind up with. For instance:

Sodium Hydroxide. NaOH. 39.9971.
Manganese(II) Hydroxide. Mn(OH)2. 88.9527.
Barium Hydroxide Octahydrate. Ba(OH)2.8H2O. 315.4639.
Aluminum Hydroxide. Al(OH)3. 78.0036.
Calcium Hydroxide. Ca(OH)2. 74.0927.
Iron(III) Hydroxide. Fe(OH)3. 106.867.
Barium Hydroxide. Ba(OH)2. 171.3417.
Magnesium Hydroxide. Mg(OH)2. 58.3197.

Boom, right from the front page of the glorious google. Seems like it's gonna be reactive as hell. Create new compounds in the body and perhaps what it creates is no beuno. I'm thinking I'd rather have dissolved solids like Bicarbonates and Silicate compounds doing the job for me, or even ADD dissolved solids to my bottled water if it was tap.

Any thoughts experiences welcome!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We have bottled water here in Florida that is cheap, and is high in PH.
More so than many touted high PH waters sold at ridiculous prices.

Zephyrhills Water