Do High Testosterone Levels Actually Cause Increased Mortality?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I was just thinking about something, and could use your input.

Many of us on the forum discuss raising testosterone levels because it causes increased muscle growth, better body composition, etc.

However, I'm thinking that could actually be detrimental to long-term health.

I'm guessing this because women tend to live longer than men, and male eunuchs tend to live longer than men, all because of heart size and function. From Alexander Pope's studies, it appears the testosterone supplementation causes heart problems in all of the men studied.

Should the whole philosophy on testosterone supplementation be changed from how to get more testosterone in the bloodstream, versus having higher uptake of the existing testosterone?

Do any drugs, supplements, workout techniques, etc. do that; is there any research on this?

Sorry for this novice-type question, but I think it's important to ask.

btothefman

Awards
I remember reading somewhere that until age 65 it increases mortality / risk factors compared to someone with low T, but after age 65 it adds to longevity.

Don't ask me where I got that but it's something that's stuck with me.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Do you mean high T levels in general or are you referring to those who use HRT/TRT and or exogenous Test to maintain/increase t levels?

T levels aside, individual genetics, biochemistry, diet, and lifestyle will also factor into the equation. You can have high total T with low free T, or low/borderline low total T with high free T. Insulin sensitivity also comes into play with regards to aging and longevity.