All in One - opinions required

TheGoodStuff

Awards
Hey guys,

First of all this my first post on here(or any bodybuilding forum to be honest) but I am posting after heavily researching almost every aspect of bodybuilding that I could have for around 2 years.

Basically, I require opinions on the structure of my bodybuilding "schedule," and I've chosen this site as it seems this forum has the most experienced members compared to all the others I've come across.

Some background info:
Currently 19 years old. First started lifting at the age of 16 but was not 100% serious (I was serious in the sense that I went regularly, ate clean but not the right amounts but relied heavily on supplements and wasn't aware of various training methods. I was just following a 12 week program over and over again lol.)

However at the age of 17 I stopped going and completely gave up (got too hooked on partying. Past that phase now.)

Now I'm 19 and I'm 100% serious about adapting to the bodybuilding lifestyle, and I have been since I joined the gym back in September 2016. Since then I've combined the knowledge I've gained over the years to come up with this "schedule," which I would like input on for improvements.

Note: I was always a skinny guy, weighing 55kg at 5ft 11 in September.

Firstly diet, I've stuck to this diet since September day in day out:

Meal 1
Cup of green tea
8 egg whites + 2 whole eggs scrambled
Shake made of:
500ml Avonmore protein milk (25g protein)
50g frozen blueberries
150g Oats
occasionally add 1-2tbsp to shake

Meal 2 (about 1-2hr later)
Protein shake, Apple, handful of almonds of peanuts

Meal 3
Toasted bagel
125g turkey breast
Banana

Meal 4 (before gym)
Either
300g combination of sweet potato, normal potato and baby potato for carbs
Or
125g pasta for carbs
With 250g chicken breast

Meal 5 (after gym)
125-150g rice (brown or white basmati)
300g lean beef steak

Meal 6
Full tub of cottage cheese (around 330ml I think)

Meal 7
200g Greek yoghurt with 100g protein granola (Kelkin hi protein brand granola)

Meal 8
Avonmore Protein Milk 500ml (25g protein)

2L of liquid water consumed/day

I stick to the above diet as it's easy for me as a college student to prep my meals before hand and have them with me on the go. If there's any changes one would make, what would you(s) suggest?

Also, as I'm trying to gain weight I do not stay 100% clean 24/7. Once a week or maybe 2 weeks I add a subway, or a pizza, or a burrito (something clean but bulky? I guess) to the diet, usually when I'm on a strength training period.

Next, the training regime, which is split into 3 "phases" (I have not researched or included a "cutting" phase as I don't see a need for it in the near future for me personally)

Phase 1: strength training period of 5 weeks
Lots of sets (6-8 sets not including practice sets, done at maximum weight loss possible)
Low reps (4-6)
This is done at the start of the workout on the main "lifts"
Eg for chest either incline bench or flat bench (alternate every couple weeks)
For legs either front squat or back squat (alternate every couple weeks)
For back deadlifts
For shoulders barbell press (seated or standing)

Then after the main lifts I pick 2-3 other exercises involved on the muscle I'm focusing on, and do a set of 5x10 or 3x10 on them.

Rest period is 2-5 mins. As long as I need to recover fully.
All lifts are done at maximum weight load, in order to build strength, and rep speed is quick and explosive, in order to move the maximum amount of weight.

During this phase my muscles feel solid, strong and dense.

Phase 2: The bodybuilding phase - 4 weeks
This phase I move away from constantly staying at maximum weight load and involves rep ranges of 8-12, usually a pyramid of 12,10,10,8 on compound exercises or 5x15 on isolation exercises. Weight increases each set followed by a drop set.

This phase I focus more on muscle definition and size rather than strength, which involves slow muscle contractions, controlled movements for as many reps as I can and then once I'm unable to keep the slow movement, I finish the rest of the set with some speed. More of a mind-muscle connection compared to phase 1.

This time I do 5-6 exercises, with structure eg
Chest: 2 strength exercises, 1 fibre (x2)
(eg barbell bench, dumbbell bench, dumbbell fly) finish off with dips and push-up superset

Every week I try to change the exercises as much as I can, however during this phase I focus more on cable work.

Rest period 60-90s for compound
30s for isolation

During this phase my muscles feel less dense, lighter, but larger and more "bloaty"

Phase 3: Hypertrophy training (2-3 weeks)
Pick 5-6 exercises of muscle group I'm focusing on. Pick 60% of maximum weight I'm able to lift, and do 8x8 with 30s rest.
This type of workout is more of a cardio type workout for me, but at the same time forces muscles to grow well for me( I get stretch marks easily during this phase). Due to the short rest periods, cardiovascular exercise is included in this period, while in other phases I do cardio just once a week.

Lastly, supplementation:
When I was younger I went overboard on these, but now I realised all I need is a multivitamin, protein, creatine and bcaas.
I keep a pre workout but I use it sparingly (once a week maybe 2 weeks) and I only use it on a muscle group that I'm weak in (chest and legs).

I use the following:
Animal Pak
Animal Rage
My protein whey isolate
Myprotein 4:1:1 bcaa
5g micro creo everyday

I have made progress, morning weight went from 55kg to 66kg in 4 months, which may be due to some muscle memory from the past, not sure to be honest. Basically, I plan on keeping this "schedule" and would just like advice from people who are more experienced in this industry.

Also, regarding AAS, I have many friends that have been juicing since the age of 16, and now they're huge beasts (100kg lean at 5 ft 8 for example lol), some don't even use pct yet they seem to not get any of the sides I've read so much about on these type of forums. The only thing that has kept me from hopping on the juice is the advice and warnings on these forums.

I would like to make sure I'm allowed to ask for advice regarding AAS use on this forum before asking, so if anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Well first off, welcome to the forum. This is one of the most well thought out first posts I've ever seen; its clear that you've done reading and research. From your current stats and progress, it looks like you're making some great progress and getting some great results by working hard and eating right. I think that your diet and training are on point, and your progress clearly shows that you have a solid work ethic.

Regarding your comments about AAS, this forum welcomes discussion about it. Typically you'll find detailed questions and specifics in the Anabolics section, but general questions are spread throughout the forums. I've personally never done any type of AAS due to the risk of side effects. It's obviously tempting when you're watching people around you make double the progress in half the time, but AAS is a big decision. For your friends who are running gear at such a young age, it WILL catch up with them eventually. At 19 years old, stay away from gear and keep doing exactly what your doing. Hard work and consistency will pay off if you stick with it.

I would commit to your diet and training for another 4-5 years and see where you're at. By that time you'll have more experience with training and you'll be able to make the decision about using gear. You're young, you're new to training, and you're making great progress. I would stick to what's working, eat big, lift heavy, and keep doing what you're doing. If your friends aren't cycling properly and aren't using proper PCT's, they will experience problems down the road... I guarantee it.