Protein and School

SlavicStrong

Awards
I am looking for easy ways to have protein throughout the day while at school. I currently pack two peanut-butter and banana sandwiches, and 2 protein bars, that I eat throughout the school day, not including lunch. I have these two sandwiches and two bars during school, along with lunch, I time them around 2 hours apart. Anyways, any other easy to pack and convenient protein foods you could recommend to me?

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
Get a small cooler bag with a cold pack. Hardboil some eggs, peel them and throw them in a baggie. Eat one every couple of hours. Cheap high quality protein right to there!

SlavicStrong

Awards
Get a small cooler bag with a cold pack. Hardboil some eggs, peel them and throw them in a baggie. Eat one every couple of hours. Cheap high quality protein right to there!
Any other ideas?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're 16, right? I'm sure your parents cook steak, fish, pork, chicken, etc often. Bring that.

Make an egg salad sandwich, tuna sandwich, or egg muffins. Simple scramble eggs and put them in a muffin tin and cook them.

SlavicStrong

Awards
You're 16, right? I'm sure your parents cook steak, fish, pork, chicken, etc often. Bring that.

Make an egg salad sandwich, tuna sandwich, or egg muffins. Simple scramble eggs and put them in a muffin tin and cook them.
I could always tin-foil chicken from the night before, I really could care less if it's cold. Or could get a thermos, microwave it, and keep it in there. And yeah, I'm 16.

Switchfoot

Switchfoot

Awards
I could always tin-foil chicken from the night before, I really could care less if it's cold. Or could get a thermos, microwave it, and keep it in there. And yeah, I'm 16.
That's a great idea. I actually prefer my chicken cold.

SlavicStrong

Awards
That's a great idea. I actually prefer my chicken cold.
I also need something with a decent amount of calories, protein is easy, but getting good calories in school is harder. I estimate both my sandwiches to contain 400 calories at the least combined, not including the extra from the banana and bread, but still, even 500 isn't a lot. With the two protein bars, it's an extra 320, so I'm up to around 720 calories in packed foods, not including school lunch calories.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I also need something with a decent amount of calories, protein is easy, but getting good calories in school is harder. I estimate both my sandwiches to contain 400 calories at the least combined, not including the extra from the banana and bread, but still, even 500 isn't a lot. With the two protein bars, it's an extra 320, so I'm up to around 720 calories in packed foods, not including school lunch calories.
Almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc. Fats are calorie dense.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah pb&j (honey or banana) will be a lifesaver

Nuts, cottage cheese, cheeses and yogurts

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Jerky is good too

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes I bring a tub of peanut butter and just eat spoonfuls during or between classes. Bring water to chase it of course. Sometimes I do the same thing with a box of cereal. Hard boiled eggs are great too.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Sometimes I bring a tub of peanut butter and just eat spoonfuls during or between classes. Bring water to chase it of course. Sometimes I do the same thing with a box of cereal. Hard boiled eggs are great too.
That's honestly not a bad idea, I'd just need to hide myself doing that, I'd get weird looks, lol. I'd need to ask to go to the bathroom and sneak it with me, lol.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He's in high school. You can tell that he unfortunately cares about how people will perceive him.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's honestly not a bad idea, I'd just need to hide myself doing that, I'd get weird looks, lol. I'd need to ask to go to the bathroom and sneak it with me, lol.
You'll get much weirder looks when you're caught eating peanut butter while on the toilet, or trying to sneak a jar of it in your pants into the bathroom.
He's in high school. You can tell that he unfortunately cares about how people will perceive him.
It does seem that way. Ultimately, you should workout and put on muscle for you, not for the approval of others. Even if he gets a few weird looks, it'll be worth it when his work and dedication pays off and he's bigger and stronger. Then they'll understand and/or feel dumb for laughing at him, because it worked.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
First, you don't need to be chugging down snacks and shakes between classes. Realize that if you have meals spaced 4-6 hours apart you are still going to be perfectly fine. The need to have so many meals a day is truly personal prefrence. The key thing here is total calories over the course of the 24 hour period.

Protein Intake & Meal Frequency:
http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

For instance you could easily wake up, have a meal at home, eat a lunch at school, grab a quick snack between classes, eat after school, and then have another meal later at night (or two) which is still 4-5 meals and can easily hit your total caloric intake for the day given you are using proper sources to meet that caloric intake.

For example -

1) Before school: 5-6 Whole Eggs, 3-4 slices of toast, Sugar free jelly or peanut butter, fruit on the side
2) Lunch --> Pack chicken/beef/turkey/tuna etc with you... Rice, and veggies (make a stirfry and just microwave at lunch, very easy and portable (or you could sub in potatoes find what settles very easy for you)
3) Between class or during a break ---> peanut butter sandwich, nuts, dried fruit, beef jerkey, hard boiled eggs, or a protein shake
Other things to consider: Bagels (very caloric dense), banana's, honey
4-5) When you are home.

Beef/Chicken/Turkey/Tuna, Greek Yogurt (Protein)
Pasta, Rice, Potatoes, Rice Cakes, Cereal's, Pancake Mix, Quinoa, muffins, english muffins, oatmeal, cream of rice, cream of wheat, rice cakes (Carb sources)
Nut Butters, Oil's, Whole Eggs, Avocados, Full Fat milk/Dairy Products, Nuts (Fat Sources)

All of these Are great choices, but again your young. when you get home if you want to have a candy bar per say you can easily fit in 200-300 calories with a very fast metabolism and in order to keep your caloric intake up. Don't stress over trying to hit X or Y macros. At your given age as long as you making good choices for the majority of the time and trying to focus on meeting protein/fat intake over the period of the day you are going to be good to go. Sometimes prepping things in bulk and ahead of time goes a long way to help keep you on track.

Again you don't have to walk out of class and chug a protein shake because it has been 2-3 hours. The body does not work like that, and it will also prevent you from looking like 'That guy" remember the body takes a bit longer to digest foods then most people think. Especially given the size of the meal, how much protein you had, and the caloric allotment. Find the meal frequency which suits you best but don't think it has to be every so often and all the time.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Lots of hard boiled eggs and maybe some avocados.

SlavicStrong

Awards
Lots of hard boiled eggs and maybe some avocados.
Packed two peanut butter banana sandwiches today, each sandwich having around 450 calories, so there's 900. Plus the two protein bars, one is 260, so double that is 420. So today I packed 1,320 calories. I also got a sandwich at lunch, with chicken and stuff. I'd say I got about 60 grams of protein in school, maybe more.