Super food: Oysters

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
You cant beat a power punch of oysters straight from the can of Walmart. No preservative. Just some canola oil, oysters, and salt. Packed full of minerals and protein. One small can is packed with 22g of protein, 10g of fat, and 2g of carbs with a total of 220 calories per can. Really cheap and convenient at Walmart!

Any thoughts?

DUbz86

DUbz86

Awards
  • Established
My only concern is oysters and Walmart used in same sentence haha

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
You cant beat a power punch of oysters straight from the can of Walmart. No preservative. Just some canola oil, oysters, and salt. Packed full of minerals and protein. One small can is packed with 22g of protein, 10g of fat, and 2g of carbs with a total of 220 calories per can. Really cheap and convenient at Walmart!

Any thoughts?
Has Bisphenol A (BPA) in it, not sure how good that is to consume all the time.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Has Bisphenol A (BPA) in it, not sure how good that is to consume all the time.
I know BPA is an organic chemical and I'm sure TO much of anything isn't good but is BPA in canned foods?

snowwolf

snowwolf

Awards
I know BPA is an organic chemical and I'm sure TO much of anything isn't good but is BPA in canned foods?
Its on the warning online for it specifically due to prop 65, Developmental and Reproductive Toxicant Identification Committee (DARTIC) says "Committee members reviewed more than 300 recent studies in both humans and laboratory animals on the female reproductive effects of BPA. The committee found that BPA can harm the female reproductive system, noting that BPA can interfere with the proper functioning of the ovaries.

In the weeks prior to the meeting, the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment posted scientific materials on the studies on its website, and conducted a 45-day comment period for the public to read and comment on them. The Office forwarded the comments to DARTIC members for their consideration. After a full day of presentations, public testimony and discussion of the scientific evidence, the DARTIC decided to list BPA by a unanimous 7-0 vote at its meeting on May 7, 2015."

The FDA says:
“FDA’s current perspective, based on its most recent safety assessment, is that BPA is safe at the current levels occurring in foods.”

"The European Food Safety Authority has found that BPA can cause reproductive harm but that it does not pose health risks to consumers at current exposure levels. However, the European Union places limits on the use of BPA in materials intended to come into contact with food.

France banned the use of BPA in food contact materials for foods consumed within France, effective January 1, 2015.

In 2008, the National Toxicology Program of the US Department of Health and Human Services found “clear evidence” that high doses of BPA caused developmental effects in laboratory animals. The agency said at the time that it had “some concern” for effects on the brain, behavior and prostate gland in fetuses, infants and children at current levels of exposure to BPA."

This info was taken from p65warnings website.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Definitely not trusting BPA but is BPA in the oyster cans?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can almost guarantee their legal department made them include the word "may." I'd feel more comfortable seeing actual measurements

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
I eat oysters only fresh. I came from a city in front of the see where people eat tons of fish and sea food.

With regards to fish I am always super selective. Either is great, or I stick to chicken.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I eat oysters only fresh. I came from a city in front of the see where people eat tons of fish and sea food.

With regards to fish I am always super selective. Either is great, or I stick to chicken.
Not a bad way to live. Ignoring the possible safety issues, there is just no substitute when it comes to quality.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
Fresh from the sea is literally the best way to go. I was honestly thinking of fishing for my fish to eat instead of buying from the poisoning corporate companies!

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
My only concern is oysters and Walmart used in same sentence haha
This^

Is a crime to eat canned preserved oysters let alone from Walmart.

Side note.: frozen scallops are an easy fast protein to cook if you are looking for shellfish that's relatively cheap and palatable

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This^

Is a crime to eat canned preserved oysters let alone from Walmart.

Side note.: frozen scallops are an easy fast protein to cook if you are looking for shellfish that's relatively cheap and palatable
Those are actually good? I've seen them at the store, but have always been suspicious. I'll have to give them a try.

lukinosnake

Awards
  • Established
Only thing I may get frozen is cod. Just for functionality

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Seafood is so much easier to down than chicken. Then again anything is easier to find en than chicken

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Only thing I may get frozen is cod. Just for functionality
It's not bad actually. I love Costco shrimp cocktail platters for easy tasty protein snacks too