Running

larbear1203

Awards
What is better running on a treadmill or an elliptical?what will give you the truest time for your mile run time

Calroid

Calroid

Awards
Treadmill, you're actually running on a treadmill.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Go out and run. Better on the knees. Running on a treadmill is a lot different than running in the park

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
What is better running on a treadmill or an elliptical?what will give you the truest time for your mile run time
As some have said-neither: actually go for a run. Neither will give you a remotely close "mile time" nor be reflective of actually running.
As for a better workout, if I had to pick between the two, I'd go with the hamster wheel (despite how much I despise it)

larbear1203

Awards
Thanks waiting to get some cold weather running gear but with the snow on its way I am just trying to figure out alternatives

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Honestly-as long as the footing is safe, best off outside

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally opt for a treadmill because an elliptical is an awkward movement that is hard on my back, surprisingly. Running outside, as others have suggested, is generally preferably.

Mraesthetic12

Mraesthetic12

Awards
  • Established
I dont know why everyone is saying treadmills are bad for knees. The safest thing to run on it turf, flat grass, or woodchips. Treadmills and cement are nearly the same

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Treadmill beats up your joints. Elliptical does not.

Run outside on grass. That is the best.

so1970

Awards
For cardio I box,if you see me running you better join me because something is probably chasing me

so1970

Awards
Usually heavy bag and speed bag but when I'm home I have 3grown sons

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Usually heavy bag and speed bag but when I'm home I have 3grown sons
Nothing like a boxers' workout:

Speed bag
Heavy bag
Jump rope
Abs

That'll get the blood flowing!

so1970

Awards
Amen people don't understand the intensity of a 3 minute round

josun

Awards
  • Established
How do u guy's feel about running on cement? And what are some good shoes that are not over priced?

so1970

Awards
You get what you pay for. A decent pair of running shoes should be light and comfortable and a pair that Will last could run around 100 dollars

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You get what you pay for. A decent pair of running shoes should be light and comfortable and a pair that Will last could run around 100 dollars
Agreed. I've seen too many athletes develop stress fractures and other injuries because of cheap and/or old shoes. I'd recommend a new pair every 300 miles regardless if it's concrete or trail. Find a good local running store and they will most likely watch you run and match up the best shoe for your gait (e.g over pronator, supinator, etc.)

You wouldn't put cheap tires on a Ferrari, why put cheap shoes on something infinitely more valuable, you!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agreed. I've seen too many athletes develop stress fractures and other injuries because of cheap and/or old shoes. I'd recommend a new pair every 300 miles regardless if it's concrete or trail. Find a good local running store and they will most likely watch you run and match up the best shoe for your gait (e.g over pronator, supinator, etc.)

You wouldn't put cheap tires on a Ferrari, why put cheap shoes on something infinitely more valuable, you!
Awesome advice! The stores that get you on a treadmill and analyze your running are the best bet to finding the most appropriate shoe for your running style

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Go out and run. Better on the knees. Running on a treadmill is a lot different than running in the park
agreed. treadmill is assisted.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How do u guy's feel about running on cement? And what are some good shoes that are not over priced?
the glycerin.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
this is an older model shoe but they are really amazing, extremely light , flexible, comfort is beyond your normal shoes like nike air max. with the bubble technology. nike was my favorite for a long time. until i switched. ..
there are great places on line to get shoes delivered to you.
http://m.holabirdsports.com/#home
prices are lower than going into the stores in your malls.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
The glycerine is a great shoe that is pretty "safe" (i.e. Works for most feet)

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
yes neutral. the newer ones are even better. i have the 14's but i liked the blue color of the 12

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
also if you are bigger guy. over 200lbs. you will love these. also great support for leg day at th3 gym.
d235c8bac7d2413c29c1e526bf6efc7e.jpg