Vegetarian Ketogenic Diet

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
So I am now cancer free and am on the road to living a healthy lifestyle again. I'm still learning to live with prosthetics (bilateral BTK amputee), but I am able to squat, albeit with light weights. Either the chemotherapy or cancer has caused refractory epilepsy, and drugs seem to not be working or causing side effects, so I am trying a Ketogenic Diet along with low dose carbamazepine (with Doctors strict guidance). The doctors laid out nutrition plan looks unappealing So I am wondering if any AM people can help me out in creating a Ketogenic plan that would also fit my vegetarian lifestyle.

Edit: I am full Vegan, so I consume no dairy, eggs, nor meat. Sorry for the confusion

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So I am now cancer free and am on the road to living a healthy lifestyle again. I'm still learning to live with prosthetics (bilateral BTK amputee), but I am able to squat, albeit with light weights. Either the chemotherapy or cancer has caused refractory epilepsy, and drugs seem to not be working or causing side effects, so I am trying a Ketogenic Diet along with low dose carbamazepine (with Doctors strict guidance). The doctors laid out nutrition plan looks unappealing So I am wondering if any AM people can help me out in creating a Ketogenic plan that would also fit my vegetarian lifestyle.
What about the docs plan is unappealing?

I wouldn't think it should be terribly hard to design something. Also, just vegetarian, not full vegan, correct?

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
What about the docs plan is unappealing?

I wouldn't think it should be terribly hard to design something. Also, just vegetarian, not full vegan, correct?
Sorry I meant full vegan. The doc has me eating nearly 90% of all my protein from soy, which is unappealing to me. I've only been vegan for ~2 months, so I am still learning and experimenting with a variety of foods.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Sorry I meant full vegan. The doc has me eating nearly 90% of all my protein from soy, which is unappealing to me. I've only been vegan for ~2 months, so I am still learning and experimenting with a variety of foods.
Yeah that makes a HUGE difference. It's much harder to find quality protein sources that are also low carb when full vegan.

Is it unappealing because you have a soy "phobia" or just because you don't enjoy the foods?

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Yeah that makes a HUGE difference. It's much harder to find quality protein sources that are also low carb when full vegan.

Is it unappealing because you have a soy "phobia" or just because you don't enjoy the foods?
I don't like the taste of most sources of soy protein, especially tofu or tempeh. As of now most of my protein comes from avacados, coconut, egg plant, spinach/leafy greens, almonds and other nuts. I just need to find something else high in protein to help elevate my daily protein count which is hovering at around 105 right now. This is where being a ovo-lacto vegetarian would be beneficial. eggs and egg whites would be great right about now...

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
Just a couple quick possibilities for protein that I can think of. Hemp protein and pea protein used to make "beads". Plus I love teddy peanut butter! Also lots of nuts.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Just a couple quick possibilities for protein that I can think of. Hemp protein and pea protein used to make "beads". Plus I love teddy peanut butter! Also lots of nuts.
I haven't been able to find an affordable, tasty vegan protein. Most of them taste like **** and are rather expensive.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
The hemp protein I got from nuts.com mixed with avocados and maybe flax made a decent keto bread, also almond flour too. I believe that's all vegan right? I'll have to see if I can find the recipe. Also have you tried pea protein?

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
The help protein I got from nuts.com mixed with avocados and maybe flax made a decent keto bread, also almond flour too. I believe that's all vegan right? I'll have to see if I can find the recipe. Also have you tried pea protein?
I have tried SAN pea protein but it tasted poorly.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have tried SAN pea protein but it tasted poorly.
Ai sports no whey! Line is pretty solid. Their pumpkin pie is amazing for a veggie protein.

Have you tried the PES select vegan?

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Ai sports no whey! Line is pretty solid. Their pumpkin pie is amazing for a veggie protein.

Have you tried the PES select vegan?
PES select has a vegan variety? If it's anything like the other flavors, it must be great. Are there any samples? That seems like a great way for me to get the last little bit of protein I need. The Ai sports no why was mediocre flavor to me

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
PES select has a vegan variety? If it's anything like the other flavors, it must be great. Are there any samples? That seems like a great way for me to get the last little bit of protein I need. The Ai sports no why was mediocre flavor to me
Yep they do. Not sure about samples tho. Maybe Driven2lift or bdcc can fill you in more.