Migraines and Nitric Oxide

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
When I was a kid, I had migraines often. We chalked it up to allergies... The allergies and migraines became less and less as I grew up.

As an adult, I get a nasty migraine probably once or twice a year now. And I just had one the other day that was pretty nasty. I had taken a different PWO for the purpose of reviewing it. And I had mixed that with MST Shred fat burner. My assumption was that I had simply overdone stims...

Then today, I stumbled on this article about gut bacteria causing migraines - How your mouth is linked to your migraines - CNN.com

While the article is interesting in and of itself, they link to a study on increased nitric oxide causing migraines. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19673897

I'm thinking now that the migraine could have actually been triggered because the different PWO simply had more arginine or citrulline than my normal products. Anyone else heard of this?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nitrates can have this effect without a doubt.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
When dealing with a pre-workout which probably contains a mixture of vasodilators and vasoconstrictors I'd agree this is possible side effect.

Caffeine should actually alleviate headaches but with a mixed pre-WO formula there is usually a lot at play

That said it was a one time occurrence with a mixture of 2 products you've never used before, it may not reoccur when using just the pre

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Yep, totally agree Driven2lift. That particular pre didn't work well for me the few times I tried it anyway. I just never knew the link between NO and migraines.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess just consider yourself lucky that it isn't all pre-workouts!

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
I guess just consider yourself lucky that it isn't all pre-workouts!
For me too, it's clearly about dosage. Unfortunately the one that triggered it has a prop blend. So I dunno how much of the ingredients were in it. It did only happen when I took their max serving, though. Regardless, I do know plenty of others that I can use just fine despite having these ingredients. So I guess for me, I'll stick with what I know and if I really want to try something new, know what might happen.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For me too, it's clearly about dosage. Unfortunately the one that triggered it has a prop blend. So I dunno how much of the ingredients were in it. It did only happen when I took their max serving, though. Regardless, I do know plenty of others that I can use just fine despite having these ingredients. So I guess for me, I'll stick with what I know and if I really want to try something new, know what might happen.
Yeah, migraines are fun like that. Everybody seems to have different triggers and severity. Mine don't seem to have a trigger that I've figured out yet and are fairly random.