HYDRATION QUESTIONS

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
I typically consume 1-1.5 gals of water daily; lately I notice if I don't keep up with drinking I feel more sore than if I did keep up. Anyone else experience this/ know why?

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
Probably helps to flush the lactic acid so you arent as sore when you hydrate properly.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Logical, but lactic acid buildup doesn't make you sore (micro trauma and the buildup of other metabolites does). That is a myth perpetrated by your HS gym teacher.

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Logical, but lactic acid buildup doesn't make you sore (micro trauma and the buildup of other metabolites does). That is a myth perpetrated by your HS gym teacher.
Sherbs if you don't mind me asking what do you do to help for your recovery?

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Myofacial release, light lifting/jogging depending on the muscle group needing recovery, hydration (not to flush lactic acid though), and an alkaline diet.
The idea that lactic acid "builds up" and causes muscle soreness simply isn't clear. Your body is constantly creating (and clearing) lactate (and its byproduct lactic acid).

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Great info in here. I would always recommend to keep your water intake high, as it will help with hydration and recovery. Also adding in electrolytes would be a smart move to keep your body running optimally. I would also suggest adding in a glutamine supplement to assist with soreness and speed recovery. Are you currently taking any staple supplements like creatine?

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
LOL, not only my hs gym teacher but even the medical community used to perpetrate it as well. Thanks for the info.
I googled it and found that it is no longer thought lactate plays a role in doms or muscle soreness.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Tell me about it-it is a myth I have been fighting (as a HS coach) for my career. And I still hear my assistants telling kids to cool down to "get the lactic acid out" :(

PostalMuscle

PostalMuscle

Awards
Great info in here. I would always recommend to keep your water intake high, as it will help with hydration and recovery. Also adding in electrolytes would be a smart move to keep your body running optimally. I would also suggest adding in a glutamine supplement to assist with soreness and speed recovery. Are you currently taking any staple supplements like creatine?
I take currently 4-6 scoops of protein a day with 1 scoop of Creatine per shake. Plus joint pills and multi vitamins

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I take currently 4-6 scoops of protein a day with 1 scoop of Creatine per shake. Plus joint pills and multi vitamins
Sounds like a solid setup. I would recommend checking out Powermax XT to help with hydration as well. Powermax XT contains taurine, glycerol, and potassium, which can all be very helpful with hydration. It also contains a full serving of creatine and betaine, which can improve gym performance and strength. Its a great all in one product that can help a lot with hydration and recovery