intermittent fasting

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I do it, 8hr window. But occasionally I will break it if on vacation or the sorts.

balos

balos

Awards
Me too 16/8.
I did it for 2 years 7/7 , than i stop it for few months. Now i do 5 or 6/7 .
It's a choice only for health, bodybuilding it's secondary

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I do IF from 2013, nobody else?
I did IF while I was in college for convenience. But now that I have a more flexible schedule I've reverted back to the 5-6 meals per day setup. IF works great if you have a consistently busy schedule

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
my routine.

Usually this is what I do.

Sunday, 7am gym, no cardio - 1st meal 12 noon. 2nd meal and only other meal around 5/5:30pm.

Monday, Tuesday - cardio at 6am, gym at 8:15am. 1st meal 12 noon. 2nd meal and only other meal around 5/5:30pm.

Wed - cardio 6am, sometimes gym sometimes not, 24 hour fast. That means I ate Tuesday around 5/5:30 and my 1 and only meal Wednesdays is 5/5:30. (today I am on the 24hr and just did 45min cardio at 6am, no gym today).

Thursday, Friday - cardio at 6am, gym at 8:15am. 1st meal 12 noon. 2nd meal and only other meal around 5/5:30pm.

Saturday - no gym and usually no cardio, unless I get up early and can't sleep then I will hit the treadmill. my 1 and only meal is 5/5:30.

So 5 days of an 18.5hr fast and 2 days of a 24 hour. On the 24 hour 1 meal days I sometimes get all my macros in one meal and sometimes I will come in short so that will be my lower calorie day.

During my fast I eat NOTHING I consume ZERO cals...no BPC bull**** high calorie coffee which breaks your fast. I drink water and black coffee and boulion cubes broth.

For my 1 meal on the 24 hr I usually break my fast with a HUGE ass bacon and egg omelete and then some protein "sludge" to get my required protein grams in. Only protein matters the other macros are not relevant. And eat SLOWWWWWW or you will blow up and not feel right so I tend to eat a little then get up walk around, do some work on my phone, **** around on Facebook, eat some more.

I have ZERO issues training ANY bodypart on my 24 hr fast since I train at 8am thats 15hrs into the 24hr fast and a breeze for me. Now if you train late in the day then no that wont work for me. I sometimes train at thee 21hr mark in the afternoon (every other Friday) then begin my carb up at the 24 hr mark. (I do a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet) It is NOT fun training on a 21hr fast. 15 hour is nothing as I been doing it since college before I learned IF. 21 is tough but its a high rep "depletion pump workout" so it is pretty easy. Don't do LEGS that day lol.

Killcure666

Awards
I'm glad to see fellow AMers also reaping the benefits of fasting.

Anyone have any experience with intermittent fasting during PCT as far as keeping gains and staying lean goes?

balos

balos

Awards

Anyone have any experience with intermittent fasting during PCT as far as keeping gains and staying lean goes?
I don't know, I'm natural...drugfree

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
DieselNY: very hard planner!
I do not do cardio
I have fat kid genetics lol. I lost 80lbs a long time ago. Cardio sucks but I need to do it to get lean

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Intermittent fasting is just meal timing it really shouldn't matter whether you're drug free or not just eat more calories and protein to keep LBM.. but at the end of the day typically with intermittent fasting you have less meals per day and I don't think that is the most ideal way to gain and or preserve lean muscle mass especially coming off some sort of drug therapy, cycle.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
For about two months I follow IF 16/8, 7 days a 7. I really like! my first meal you start at 12, and the last meal at 20 (I eat at 19).
Now I'm on a diet in reverse, and slowly the carbohydrates are increasing, I always will be more difficult, I was the first to 3 meals a day now to 4 meals a day! Let's see how it turns out! however fasting like.
I train in the afternoon, with 2 meals prework!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm thinking about starting this and the only thing that worries me is I work out at 545 AM, and like clockwork have an awesome Post workout smoothie at 715 am. So waiting 6 hours after the gym to eat sounds like it will be rough, but maybe get used to it?

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking about starting this and the only thing that worries me is I work out at 545 AM, and like clockwork have an awesome Post workout smoothie at 715 am. So waiting 6 hours after the gym to eat sounds like it will be rough, but maybe get used to it?
Quiet!
it is a matter of habit. I'll tell you more, once inside, it's hard to go back!
You will like it!
You will notice a good focus, better energy, less morning sleepiness, improved physical (mild ReComp, based on your amount of food of course), improve insulin sensitivity, improve lipolysis.
I'm not going back! Now I'm on my TDEE, and again I'll be in IF!
you are in caloric deficit? bulk? cutting? ReComp?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why ot have your smoothie at 7:15 and then start your feeding window?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id rather have my window go later at night so I can enjoy dinner with the fam

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Id rather have my window go later at night so I can enjoy dinner with the fam
IF isn't going to provide any miracles. The benefits are grossly exaggerated. It is mostly used for people's lifestyles. If it doesn't fit yours, don't follow it.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely not looking for any miracles, just looking to switch things up a bit.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Definitely not looking for any miracles, just looking to switch things up a bit.
The benefits of Autophagy is near miraculous. Look it up...

speclk19

Awards
IF isn't going to provide any miracles. The benefits are grossly exaggerated. It is mostly used for people's lifestyles. If it doesn't fit yours, don't follow it.
On a cellular level IF's benefits are not "grossly exaggerated". There are many advantages gained with mitochondrial functioning.

I agree though that IF is not a miracle solution for fat-loss.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I got really lean on it but felt I lost too much muscle doing it( just my experience) compared to cutting on 4-5 daily meals.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been doing if for a few weeks here and there, it is way easier to manage, but I am really just healing up from an injury. It is great for keeping my cals lower and dieting. It is not optimal for training. I cannot train heavy and hard without proper nutrition loaded in my body throughout the day. I have tracked the differences in energy strentgh and performance and it's night and day for me. To each his own but it is not sufficient for bodybuilding, maybe on rest days but definitely not on training days.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been doing if for a few weeks here and there, it is way easier to manage, but I am really just healing up from an injury. It is great for keeping my cals lower and dieting. It is not optimal for training. I cannot train heavy and hard without proper nutrition loaded in my body throughout the day. I have tracked the differences in energy strentgh and performance and it's night and day for me. To each his own but it is not sufficient for bodybuilding, maybe on rest days but definitely not on training days.
The bolded part is based on each individual person, like you stated. you need proper nutrition. I actually prefer going to the gym in a fasted state and personally perform the same. On heavy deadlift and squat days, I hate having a meal in me, I feel like I am going to vomit no mater how much time is between eating and training.

I wouldn't say IF isn't good for bodybuilding. I agree that it is more optimal for cutting, but only because the smaller window creates larger meals which will curb hunger. If someone is at a large surplus, there is nothing wrong with a small eating window, but it may be difficult to consume a lot of food in a small time period, for some.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
Everything is manageable!
The 8 hours of power can go at any time of the day.
Obviously it all depends on our commitments, from our work, from our living habits.
IF 16/8 born anyway to train fasting.
Personally I have not experienced this, I am training with at least 2 meals preworkout.
And in postworkout are free to eat all the carbohydrates you want ... of course all calculated ... I'm a freak!
However during fasting I have good strength, and greater focus! I think I could cope without problems any kind of workout!
It is to try ... then back do not come back there again!

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The bolded part is based on each individual person, like you stated. you need proper nutrition. I actually prefer going to the gym in a fasted state and personally perform the same. On heavy deadlift and squat days, I hate having a meal in me, I feel like I am going to vomit no mater how much time is between eating and training.

I wouldn't say IF isn't good for bodybuilding. I agree that it is more optimal for cutting, but only because the smaller window creates larger meals which will curb hunger. If someone is at a large surplus, there is nothing wrong with a small eating window, but it may be difficult to consume a lot of food in a small time period, for some.
Maybe it all depends on schedule, but by the time I work out I've been fasted for 16+ hours since I train at night. Without the proper nutrition from a whole day of eating and intra nutrition I find my squats deads leg press bench rows etc to be severely taxing and much weaker. But it's all as we know individual. I read alot of pro level postings on other forums and site and as far as bodybuilding I've hardly ever come across a guy who does it on training days. Same can be said for powerlifting. I've never really heard it. Now speaking on cross fitters and people working out for general health, I have seen and heard it the most. No disrespect to anyone

Killcure666

Awards
Maybe it all depends on schedule, but by the time I work out I've been fasted for 16+ hours since I train at night. Without the proper nutrition from a whole day of eating and intra nutrition I find my squats deads leg press bench rows etc to be severely taxing and much weaker. But it's all as we know individual. I read alot of pro level postings on other forums and site and as far as bodybuilding I've hardly ever come across a guy who does it on training days. Same can be said for powerlifting. I've never really heard it. Now speaking on cross fitters and people working out for general health, I have seen and heard it the most. No disrespect to anyone
In my experience this improves with time. You start off feeling weak during your fasted workouts since your body is used to having elevated blood glucose levels to power you through harder workouts. During a fasted workout the body becomes more efficient at utilizing the available substrates for energy (glucose, triglycerides and glycogen).

The body has a magnificent ability to adapt and over time you will find that you will get stronger during fasted workouts. Fasting causes the mitochondria of the body to more efficiently use substrates for energy. This over course occurs over a period of time as does all adaptation. Stick with fasting if it's something you want to do and you'll find you feel better, healthier and stronger over time

balos

balos

Awards
it's just a choice of timing. the results in terms of health are now established.
It's a good idea for bodybuilding? I don't know, but i think that if you feel good then you train better and its results will be better.
Bodybuilding it's a great passion for me, but anyhow I'm only an amateur, I have a life, a job, a family and many other sources of stress, I'll never become a bodybuilder at the highest level, even among the natural ... so I chose health.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
the only problem IF 16/8, it could be when you are in high bulk, or when you eat a lot, behold, there in that window of 8 hours of power, you must be good to eat all that food!
I currently have 3 meals a day, but it will soon be four meals a day, since my carbs are going up so much.

balos

balos

Awards
I have a fast metabolism, have also arrived to 5000 kcal with if

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what anyone is talking about regarding IF not being good for this or that. It is a lifestyle diet, but can be fit into any need. I've bulked and maintained on it. True it's not for everyone, but you don't need to leave it to accomplish goals.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what anyone is talking about regarding IF not being good for this or that. It is a lifestyle diet, but can be fit into any need. I've bulked and maintained on it. True it's not for everyone, but you don't need to leave it to accomplish goals.
Exactly. Also, you do not have to follow a 16/8 window. There are studies showing benefits of a 15/9 and 12/12 window depending on body fat. Additionally, one does not need to train fasted to follow IF

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In my experience this improves with time. You start off feeling weak during your fasted workouts since your body is used to having elevated blood glucose levels to power you through harder workouts. During a fasted workout the body becomes more efficient at utilizing the available substrates for energy (glucose, triglycerides and glycogen).

The body has a magnificent ability to adapt and over time you will find that you will get stronger during fasted workouts. Fasting causes the mitochondria of the body to more efficiently use substrates for energy. This over course occurs over a period of time as does all adaptation. Stick with fasting if it's something you want to do and you'll find you feel better, healthier and stronger over time
I respect your opinion, and in many ways you may be right. I have been fasting alot more lately and have been getting very lean with less output. It also limited my intake and cravings.

But let's be 100% clear. We are not talking about bodybuilding. Most bodybuilders on an amateur and professional level consume at least 300 grams of protein a day in food, plus supplements. 400-500 grams a day. This is just not feasible nor good for your digestion to cram into such a small window. These numbers may seem very high, but these numbers are realistic for true bodybuilding.

No denying for general health and well being and for cutting IF has tremendous benefits, but when I go back to eating 7 animal meals a day, it's better for me to do it with 2 hours in-between. But like I said it works better for me. If anyone knows of any bodybuilders or powerlifters on semi pro or pro level please share. I'd be very curious to learn how they do it successfully.

balos

balos

Awards
It depends on what level you are talking... ifbb pro, i agree with you.
Amateurs and specially natural drug free it's possible, is a personal choice as other.
anyway thanks for the calmness of this discussion, many other forums is not so

dactyl

dactyl

Awards
Seems like it's hard to get my macros in that small window unless I am eating more fat and less carbs
Still under my protein needs but never below 1 gram per pound o bodyweight
Might try a modified steak and eggs diet soon but not sure on times I would eat it
I train at 6 am and usuall eat between 10am and 6 pm roughly
Maybe once at 10 and once at 6

Definitely different than what I have been doing last 12 years or so
Eating at least every 3 hours like we were told to keep or blood sugar stable and keep protein synthesis going all day
But now switching it up since training in the morning and the old way of eating just got to a point where I think it was mostly gaining me body fat after 30 or so I guess I don't need the calorie I did when I was 20-25 it seems
Kinda just going by feel day by day now to a point with times and macros

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I respect your opinion, and in many ways you may be right. I have been fasting alot more lately and have been getting very lean with less output. It also limited my intake and cravings.

But let's be 100% clear. We are not talking about bodybuilding. Most bodybuilders on an amateur and professional level consume at least 300 grams of protein a day in food, plus supplements. 400-500 grams a day. This is just not feasible nor good for your digestion to cram into such a small window. These numbers may seem very high, but these numbers are realistic for true bodybuilding.

No denying for general health and well being and for cutting IF has tremendous benefits, but when I go back to eating 7 animal meals a day, it's better for me to do it with 2 hours in-between. But like I said it works better for me. If anyone knows of any bodybuilders or powerlifters on semi pro or pro level please share. I'd be very curious to learn how they do it successfully.
http://www.vivereinforma.it/alimentazione/item/l-intermittent-fasting-nel-bodybuilding-caso-di-successo
;)

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It depends on what level you are talking... ifbb pro, i agree with you.
Amateurs and specially natural drug free it's possible, is a personal choice as other.
anyway thanks for the calmness of this discussion, many other forums is not so
Yea truthfully I was not even considering anything beyond ifbb or npc competitors. Same goes for powerlifting, I'm speaking of the elite. The heavy hitters.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
He looks phenomenal. I can only hope i can achieve that condition at that age. not trying to throw shade but I feel he is lacking size, at least for what I am looking to achieve. Is he in a body building class or physique?
You can directly ask balos :) is he himself!
cacchio ora che lo so, mi potresti dare anche qualche consiglio balos :D

balos

balos

Awards
bb333 :
in fact I am, how you found it? are you Italian?

He looks phenomenal. I can only hope i can achieve that condition at that age. not trying to throw shade but I feel he is lacking size, at least for what I am looking to achieve. Is he in a body building class or physique?
Thanks.
Yes, I'm trying to improve their own in terms of volumes for what I can do at my age, with my ability and drug free ... something to that interview has improved, i hope

bb333

Awards
  • Established
bb333 :

Thanks.
Yes, I'm trying to improve their own in terms of volumes for what I can do at my age, with my ability and drug free ... something to that interview has improved, i hope
Ho ricordato la tua foto, lessi la tua intervista! ;)
Bel fisico, ottimi risultati! e grazie a te ho iniziato con la dieta IF 16/8, e adesso non ne posso fare a meno, e chi ci ritorna più indietro :D
Se eventualmente avrò difficoltà in qualcosa posso disturbarti in privato? :')
Poi ti racconto il mio approccio! per adesso sono in reverse diet e i carboidrati stanno salendo di settimane in settimane... i pasti in IF, da 3, li passerò a 4!
Complimenti ancora!

Translator:

I remembered your picture, I read your interview! ;)
Nice body, excellent results! and thanks to you I started with the diet IF 16/8, and now I can not do without, and those who return back: D
If necessary I will have difficulty in something I can bother you in private? : ')
Then I'll tell you my approach! for now they're in reverse diet and carbohydrates are climbing weeks in weeks ... meals in IF, 3, 4 pass them!
Congratulations again!

balos

balos

Awards
bb333 :
Si certo, grazie a te.
Ps. Mondo del bb è piccolo ?

Yes sure, thanks to you.
The world of the bb is small

balos

balos

Awards
For clarity:
I do not do proselytism ... I just like to have an open mind.
I prepare other athletes and only one following the if, I don't have a single method it for training, nor for the diet ...
I follow what you need for that person at that time.
I do IF , it's good for me and stop

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
bb333 :

Thanks.
I didn't realize you were drug free. That's phenomenal. How have you done amongst other competitors?

balos

balos

Awards
I didn't realize you were drug free. That's phenomenal. How have you done amongst other competitors?
Excuse me, maybe I don't understand your question (my english is not good).
Normally I compete in natural federations and basically should all be natural ... then there is always someone who makes clever but I I don't care, I just think to myself

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Excuse me, maybe I don't understand your question (my english is not good).
Normally I compete in natural federations and basically should all be natural ... then there is always someone who makes clever but I I don't care, I just think to myself
I just meant how are your placings at the shows you've been doing?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing IF combined with carb cycling for almost a year now, and it has really been a life saver for me. It has been the most efficient, convenient, satisfying, flexible, and adaptable eating schedule I have ever used and personally it has worked great for me. Since starting IF, I have had a much easier time staying lean and I love the convenience and extra productivity I gain from not having to plan and make extra meals. I have always had a big appetite and I like being able to eat large satisfying meals. Also, when I do cheat, I am able to be more flexible and really go all out. It has also been nice to be able to be more flexible and enjoy late lunches and dinners with friends & family. Once I got adjusted to this type of eating schedule, I have been fine tuning my diet and training and I have made a lot of progress in hitting new PRs and adding quality lean mass. The other thing I found out is that my body trains better fasted.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing IF combined with carb cycling for almost a year now, and it has really been a life saver for me. It has been the most efficient, convenient, satisfying, flexible, and adaptable eating schedule I have ever used and personally it has worked great for me. Since starting IF, I have had a much easier time staying lean and I love the convenience and extra productivity I gain from not having to plan and make extra meals. I have always had a big appetite and I like being able to eat large satisfying meals. Also, when I do cheat, I am able to be more flexible and really go all out. It has also been nice to be able to be more flexible and enjoy late lunches and dinners with friends & family. Once I got adjusted to this type of eating schedule, I have been fine tuning my diet and training and I have made a lot of progress in hitting new PRs and adding quality lean mass. The other thing I found out is that my body trains better fasted.
I share everything!
What kind of protocol cycling carbohydrates you used in the past?

hsk

Awards
  • Established
My training schedule is 2 on 1 off.

First training day: high carb, low fat, moderate to high protein
Second training day: medium carb, low/medium fat, moderate to high protein
Rest day: High Fat, moderate to high protein, low to no carb

I have also experimented with CKD in the past. I still switch to CKD occasionally to changes things up a bit.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
My training schedule is 2 on 1 off.

First training day: high carb, low fat, moderate to high protein
Second training day: medium carb, low/medium fat, moderate to high protein
Rest day: High Fat, moderate to high protein, low to no carb

I have also experimented with CKD in the past. I still switch to CKD occasionally to changes things up a bit.
classic ;)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agree with all of this. As someone that is always on the go, it is perfect. I don't sweat missing meals, if I am traveling and options are limited, it's not a problem, and like mentioned I love huge meals and would prefer to eat 2 big meals and a little snack in-between.