Cut or bulk dilemma

OrangePeellll

Awards
Stats: Male, 24 y/o, 5'4", 123.5 lbs

Bench: 115
Squat: 175
Deadlift: 305

** Note: Not willing to use any anabolics, or PHs, although I am supplementing high doses of DHEA if that matters **

Im guesstimating my BF is 16%. Slight vascularity in arms and Delts, and in the top of the quad as well. It won't let me upload a pic because the file size is too large. I can pinch like 3/4 of an inch on my stomach if it matters.

So, opinions, cut or bulk ? Keep in mind I'm only 5'4". Thanks

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
What're your personal goals? That's what you should work towards, IMO. You'll have more drive and dedication if it's something you actually want to do.

OrangePeellll

Awards
What're your personal goals? That's what you should work towards, IMO. You'll have more drive and dedication if it's something you actually want to do.
Be a pro natty bodybuilder.

OrangePeellll

Awards
I meant short term, as in gaining size or looking shredded...what do you want to look like in 3 months?
Probably being shredded, guess I answered my own question. I'm just afraid I'll look tiny and starved if I cut down :/

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Probably being shredded, guess I answered my own question. I'm just afraid I'll look tiny and starved if I cut down :/
Yeah, you'll shrink a little depending on how much of a deficit you put yourself into. If it's a small step each week or two, you won't lose as much mass but it'll take longer to get leaner, and vice-versa. That's a battle I'm facing right now. Some days I feel like I look bigger, some days I feel like I lost a lot of size. It's a mental game. Just stick with it, steady time and effort produces results.

OrangePeellll

Awards
How does this plan sound (3000 maintenance):

Meal plan (2250 calories, 750 deficit):

Meal 1: 3 whole eggs, 1 banana

Meal 2: 6 oz Tilapia or another lean fish, 1 baked potato w salsa

Meal 3: 8 oz vanilla Greek yogurt, 6 saltine crackers with 3 oz light mozzarella

Meal 4: 12 oz chicken breast with 2 oz (dry) whole wheat pasta

Meal 5: 2 cups Mini wheats with one cup 2% milk, couple slices lean deli meat

180 protein, 270 carbs, 50 fat

Oh, and how does this split sound:

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
Day 2: Legs and Abs
Day 3: Shoulders and Triceps
Day 4: Back and Abs
Day 5: Off
Repeat

OrangePeellll

Awards
How does this plan sound (3000 maintenance):

Meal plan (2250 calories, 750 deficit):

Meal 1: 3 whole eggs, 1 banana

Meal 2: 6 oz Tilapia or another lean fish, 1 baked potato w salsa

Meal 3: 8 oz vanilla Greek yogurt, 6 saltine crackers with 3 oz light mozzarella

Meal 4: 12 oz chicken breast with 2 oz (dry) whole wheat pasta

Meal 5: 2 cups Mini wheats with one cup 2% milk, couple slices lean deli meat

180 protein, 270 carbs, 50 fat

Oh, and how does this split sound:

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
Day 2: Legs and Abs
Day 3: Shoulders and Triceps
Day 4: Back and Abs
Day 5: Off
Repeat
Sorry if it's against the rules but I'm gonna bump this. Gonna have a game plan for tomorrow.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Doesn't look bad, I would sub some of the lean meat for fatty meat though. Drop protein to 100-120ish and add more fat IMO. Or even go with a smaller portion of chicken breast and add some avocado or nuts/nut butter.

Also make sure to add some veggies!

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Yep, add veggies and fats. Some beef, or just adding in some nuts/nut butter/avocados would be fine. Dropping 750 cals right off the bat would be a bit much for me, I'd start with 500 and work from there but to each their own. Drop protein down around 1g/lb of body weight, your body will treat excess calories the same and excess protein that's not used could be stored as fat. I wouldn't cut too much more carbs, it's the brain's main source of energy and I feel way too lethargic without enough carbs. I know that's a part of cutting, but I've gotta draw the line somewhere.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
OP look at it this way, research shows that 15% body fat is the upper limit for adding muscle over fat in a bulk. While 8% is slightly below the sweet spot for the body to gain muscle. If I were you I'd shred down to a full 6 pack during summer and slowly gain over fall and winter. Maybe pick a show 9-12 months down the road and train for it. That should give you plenty of time. 2-3 months to shred, 5-6 months clean bulk, then a final 2-3 month show prep.

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
OP look at it this way, research shows that 15% body fat is the upper limit for adding muscle over fat in a bulk. While 8% is slightly below the sweet spot for the body to gain muscle. If I were you I'd shred down to a full 6 pack during summer and slowly gain over fall and winter. Maybe pick a show 9-12 months down the road and train for it. That should give you plenty of time. 2-3 months to shred, 5-6 months clean bulk, then a final 2-3 month show prep.
Good post, straight and to the point.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Good post, straight and to the point.
I appreciate that dude. That's how I did my first show. Hopefully he bulks a lot cleaner than I did so he doesn't have to diet so hard the last two weeks lol

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
I appreciate that dude. That's how I did my first show. Hopefully he bulks a lot cleaner than I did so he doesn't have to diet so hard the last two weeks lol
For sure man, I'm trying to shed excess fat I've gained in the 3 years I've been on a surplus. I want to stay at around 10% most of the time so I can gauge progress a bit easier, and it won't be as much of a struggle to get into single digits to compete whenever I choose to do that. I'm guessing I'm somewhere between 12 and 15 right now.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
it's hard dude, food is soooooo delicious!

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
It is...I'm a foodie at heart so it's VERY hard to turn down good food. Even when eating out I primarily focus on protein intake and try to limit "bad" foods...but it's hard! Lol

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I'm all about Smores lol and it's Smores season. Luckily there are a few good tasting Smores protein powders and bars out there!

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Me too. I haven't supp'd with protein in a while, I need to find all the good stuff these forums offer before I make a decision.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Check out Select for sure, but only if you need help hitting protein totals or want the convenience.
Otherwise food is yummy

sparks2012

sparks2012

Awards
Check out Select for sure, but only if you need help hitting protein totals or want the convenience.
Otherwise food is yummy
Thanks man. Yeah, I used to rely way too heavily on supps, especially protein powders, and I was neglecting whole foods to an almost embarrassing point. I've gradually stopped using them and now I couldn't tell you the last time I had a shake. And nope, I didn't shrink or lose all my bench press gainz! I think I'd only use it now if I had a contest or show in mind and I needed to be really specific with my macros. Other than that, whole foods are so much better.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Yes I love chicken so i can easily meal prep ssooooo much protein lol

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Stats: Male, 24 y/o, 5'4", 123.5 lbs

Bench: 115
Squat: 175
Deadlift: 305

** Note: Not willing to use any anabolics, or PHs, although I am supplementing high doses of DHEA if that matters **

Im guesstimating my BF is 16%. Slight vascularity in arms and Delts, and in the top of the quad as well. It won't let me upload a pic because the file size is too large. I can pinch like 3/4 of an inch on my stomach if it matters.

So, opinions, cut or bulk ? Keep in mind I'm only 5'4". Thanks
Bulk. If it was me i would be trying to get my numbers up. Once your build your foundation then do a cut.