Processed Meat Causing Cancer

Dmcooper

Awards
Can processed meat really cause cancer?
Isn't most meat processed?
How do we get away from processed meat? Kill the cow ourselves?

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Can processed meat really cause cancer?
Isn't most meat processed?
How do we get away from processed meat? Kill the cow ourselves?
The studies suggesting processed meats potentially cause cancer, are more so referring to meats such as;

Cold cuts
Sausage
Already cooked meats
Smoked meats

Pretty much anything that is already cooked and given preservatives and additives, to extend the shelf life of the products.

I don't think it's referring to fresh cut beef, poultry, and pork, so it has nothing to do with the killing of the animal. (Unless they used some sort of gas to sedate the animal, then comes the question, Can trace amounts of the gas be found in the meats and how harmful would it be to human consumption?)

Again, I don't think the actual meat is what is in question with potentially causing cancer but the chemical preservatives used to extend the shelf life of the meat is what is really in question.

If you're worried, try avoiding any meat that is processed and preserved and just stick to eating fresh beef, chicken, and pork.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Seems like everything these days can cause cancer. If you live your life in fear of cancer, and try to avoid all things that can potentially cause cancer, you're going to end up in a bubble going crazy.

The key (to really many things in life) is moderation.

If you want to have a nice cold cut sandwich, have one every once in a while, not three times a day.

If you want a nice ice cold beer after a long hard day of work, have just one.

From what I understand, if you're genetically disposed to develop cancer it's a matter of where and when. (I could be completely wrong on that). There are definitely things you can do to help prevent the mutation of cancerous cells, such as diet, exercise, and avoiding things like smoking but ultimately if you're going to get it then you're going to get it.

Cherish life!

ntornado

Awards
Good responses here and without getting into all of the studies themselves also remember that people that eat processed meats are also more likely to smoke, drink alcohol, eat excess calories, be sedentary and so on. Also, the WHO warning that came out a few months back was regarding the LINK between cancer and processed meats and not the risk which is actually quite low.

Dmcooper

Awards
Thanks for the reassurance guys, I was just seeing a lot of results when I searched this in google. Then I was thinking that most meat is processed because companies don't want their meat to go bad so quick, is this not true?

TheMaster

TheMaster

Banned
Awards
I had testicular cancer recently and I still eat what I want to. Not gonna live my life living in fear of it coming back again.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Meta-analyses of epidemiological studies has resulted in a strong correlation between processed meat consumption and GI + colorectal cancers.

Mechanistically, lots of different things come into play, but as mentioned above, it's mostly the preservative chemicals.