Quitting Supplements

Dmcooper

Awards
Has anyone ever felt better from quitting supplements altogether and just focus on their nutrition from natural food?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Well that should always have been your focus from the beginning, but yeah I definitely cycle off as long as I'm keeping my nutrients where they should be from my diet

Dmcooper

Awards
Well that should always have been your focus from the beginning, but yeah I definitely cycle off as long as I'm keeping my nutrients where they should be from my diet
Yeah I know it should be the focus from the beginning, but I know I have fell victim to relying on supps sometimes. How long have you cycled off for? have you ever felt better when off?

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I try to rely more on nutrition than supplements anyways BUT I have noticed I will take a break off of somethings from time to time to give my body a rest

Pre workouts (both stim and non stimmed versions), creatine, intra workout drinks (even though I know I should relax on these, I just can't drink plain water anymore during my workout)

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I think this really depends on how you use supplements and what you're expecting from them. The industry has skewed things to make users believe they cannot achieve success in health and fitness without the use of supplements. I feel like many people give supplements more credit than they deserve, but that doesn't mean I would advise "quitting" supplementation, especially of staple supplements like creatine, vitamin d, and fish oil.

The majority of supplements on the market are bogus, and the studies that back them aren't always consistent. However, I do think that there are some core supplements that can provide true benefits for overall health and performance. With supplement users becoming more educated with access to write-ups and studies on products, some companies are doing very well by stepping up their game to bring supplements to the market that actually work.

I think its good to cycle products and try different things to find what works for you and what doesn't, but I truly feel that there are some supplements that are studied and proven to be beneficial. Nutrition will always be number 1, but I don't think stopping all supplementation would be of any additional benefit to someone who lifts heavy and eats properly.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think this really depends on how you use supplements and what you're expecting from them. The industry has skewed things to make users believe they cannot achieve success in health and fitness without the use of supplements. I feel like many people give supplements more credit than they deserve, but that doesn't mean I would advise "quitting" supplementation, especially of staple supplements like creatine, vitamin d, and fish oil.

The majority of supplements on the market are bogus, and the studies that back them aren't always consistent. However, I do think that there are some core supplements that can provide true benefits for overall health and performance. With supplement users becoming more educated with access to write-ups and studies on products, some companies are doing very well by stepping up their game to bring supplements to the market that actually work.

I think its good to cycle products and try different things to find what works for you and what doesn't, but I truly feel that there are some supplements that are studied and proven to be beneficial. Nutrition will always be number 1, but I don't think stopping all supplementation would be of any additional benefit to someone who lifts heavy and eats properly.
So much truth with this statement. Cheers brother!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Felt better?
Meh

Wallet would be heavier though

Knowing what I know now, I doubt I'd ever stop supplementing at least a few things though. Even if it was just creatine.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Felt better?
Meh

Wallet would be heavier though

Knowing what I know now, I doubt I'd ever stop supplementing at least a few things though. Even if it was just creatine.
pretty much this. I don't think I can give up creatine, caffeine, and beta-alanine given how much positive data there is and how cheap they are

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
What were you taking?

Most of the stuff that you should take wouldn't be making you feel "bad." It would just be contributing to overall health and wellness, so I'm not sure you'd even really "feel" them.

I likely won't ever stop taking what I currently take. Most of the stuff I take is for my joints, and I do notice a difference when I come off, and not in a good way.

ToughMech

Awards
I go off and now it supplements the only thing I stick with for sure is calcium and a multi. I never really noticed a feel better difference, I just have coffee as a pre workout or get used to using nothing at all. There was a time when I didn't even take protein either. Its all the same to me, but I do make sure I don't take too many supplements I just pick and choose according to my goals.

ToughMech

Awards
What were you taking?

Most of the stuff that you should take wouldn't be making you feel "bad." It would just be contributing to overall health and wellness, so I'm not sure you'd even really "feel" them.

I likely won't ever stop taking what I currently take. Most of the stuff I take is for my joints, and I do notice a difference when I come off, and not in a good way.
Yes I do notice a difference with a joint supplement, it stops the clicking in my shoulder that I get.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do make sure I don't take too many supplements I just pick and choose according to my goals.
When I first started taking supplements and didn't really know what I was doing, I took a ton and spent a ton of money. However, now I'm more like you in that I take what makes sense for my current and long term goals.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate supps...

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Then you win the money saving game

Don't think you need any help anyways, always kicking ass
Haha, thanks, Driven. Just trying to catch up to you! :)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Haha, thanks, Driven. Just trying to catch up to you! :)
Don't be modest, I have a hormonal advantage

If you had a male's test levels you'd put us all to shame

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't be modest, I have a hormonal advantage

If you had a male's test levels you'd put us all to shame
Haha, you're the best! I already act like a dude on test...